Favorite Beach Front Resorts

Meldev

DIS Veteran
We've stayed at the Waterfront Resort by Hilton, and we loved it - we'll likely go back, but a wrinkle was thrown into our upcoming fall plans and my DH has a convention in San Diego. Is there a great beach front resort you'd recommend for a family in the San Diego area?

TIA

Pretty easy. Hotel del Coronado. Disney basically copied the style for one of its hotels.

https://hoteldel.com

hotel-del-coronado-san-diego-sd0716.jpg

Del is nice but if you stay there, try to stay in the newer annex. The rooms in the historic part are quite old and feel small and cramped. Especially to the modern traveler. A family would be much happier in the newer section. Best to ask, where is your husband's convention? Getting to and from certain parts of SD from Coronado can be challenging.

And I must say - did you shoot this? Because this photo is insane. First, you must've used an incredibly long lens from the west end of Coronado Shores near North Island Air Station and must've been shooting the hotel from at least a mile away based on the angle and where the waves are hitting the shore. And while those mountains behind it do exist, they're about 20 miles away, across a bay, downtown SD and much of suburban San Diego. Crazy beautiful photo but to the OP, it doesn't really look this good in real life.

And I must say - did you shoot this? Because this photo is insane. First, you must've used an incredibly long lens from the west end of Coronado Shores near North Island Air Station and must've been shooting the hotel from at least a mile away based on the angle and where the waves are hitting the shore. And while those mountains behind it do exist, they're about 20 miles away, across a bay, downtown SD and much of suburban San Diego. Crazy beautiful photo but to the OP, it doesn't really look this good in real life.

Not my photo so I'm not sure about the particulars.

I can only think of bay front resorts.
Paradise Point http://www.paradisepoint.com/ Tons of onsite things to do.
Hyatt Regency https://missionbay.regency.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa http://www.sandiegohilton.com/
Bahia Hotel http://www.bahiahotel.com/

I've only stayed at Paradise Point. I grew up close to it and used to go there for day activities. It is awesome.
I've been to events at Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa and the grounds are fantastic.
Bahia is older and while I think of it as more run down, it could be very nice at this point.
I haven't been to the Hyatt, but have driven past it many times.

I have seen the insides of the rooms at Hotel del Coronado and agree that the rooms the in the historic hotel are way too small. There are some newer high rise buildings with rooms. I haven't stay there, but have been there for other things and it is a very nice place. I just don't like the idea of taking the bridge back and forth every day.

Del is nice but if you stay there, try to stay in the newer annex. The rooms in the historic part are quite old and feel small and cramped. Especially to the modern traveler. A family would be much happier in the newer section. Best to ask, where is your husband's convention? Getting to and from certain parts of SD from Coronado can be challenging.

His convention is at the Manchester Grand Hyatt

His convention is at the Manchester Grand Hyatt
If you have a car he can drive over from Coronado. There is a ferry service from Coronado to San Diego. The ferry is on the bayside about a 1 and half from the Del. About a 30 minute walk or a short taxi ride to the ferry. About a 20 minute or so walk from the ferry to the Hyatt. Not sure if there is parking in Coronado. We used it staying at the Hyatt . When we were there they had two different ferries. One by the Convention Center the other past the US Midway museum. Hyatt is in the middle. They have the same landing in Coronado. You would need to check the schedules to see if it works.

Last edited:

Although I don't support Doug Manchester because of his personal politics, the hotel is nice and on the harbor which is "waterfront enough" for many but lacks a beach. Why not stay there? There is also an Embassy Suites across the street that has nice water views. Fun parks, Seaport Village, the Midway, and the Maritime Museum are all within walking distance.

h I don't support Doug Manchester because of his personal politics, the hotel is nice and on the harbor which is "waterfront enough" for many but lacks a beach. Why not stay there? There is also an Embassy Suites across the stre
Can't stay there as it's already sold out for his dates, and I really prefer to be right on a beach with the beach with the kids.

The Del looks really nice.
No waterslides at the pool though it doesn't look like.
Maybe the Hilton San Diego would be fun...
Beach wise my kids are looking to enjoy the big West Coast waves that we don't get to experience during our stays at South Carolina beaches in the summer....are these San Diego locations good for the waves?

If your kids want to play in the waves, and you don't want to drive, La Jolla Shores Hotel is a good bet. Husband will have about a 30 - 40 minute commute.

Loews Coronado Resort is also good but on the harbor side, but if you have a car, you can be at the beach in about 5 minutes.

Coronado Marriott Resort (also on the harbor side), but right near Ferry Landing for husband, puts you about 8 minutes from beach by car.

I've been to many events at the downtown hotels and they are very nice, but you're not going to get beach access there. If you want direct beach access I'd do Coronado or La Jolla, though that will be a longer drive for your husband. I believe the Coronado resorts on the harbor side (Loews and Marriott) have free beach shuttles as well.

Keep in mind the trolley goes right near the Manchester, and the Coaster trains stop at Santa Fe station(10 minute walk). If you like a nice coastal train ride there and back you could stay in Encinitas or Carlsbad. Much prettier beaches up that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!