Father's Consent

The airport check-in in San francisco was the only place I was asked for papers . Never in Mexico or when we boarded the ship or coming back into Us.Come to think of it Nov 2000 we took a Carnival ship to Couzmel also went to Belize and then I took my daughter on our own to Costa Rica i got a Notarized letter from Ex and i was never asked anywhere to show it . BUt I think it may be better to be safe then denied boarding the ship or plane at the last minute.

Originally posted by dbcruise

The airport check-in in San francisco was the only place I was asked for papers. Never in Mexico or when we boarded the ship or coming back into U.S.

They didn't used to require the U.S. Immigration inspection on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary until after 9/11. That's why I suspect they will require it at Port Canaveral on the western itinerary.

Dave-
The immigration inspection at Port Canaveral with the western- do you mean at the end of the cruise?
It will be interesting to hear from single parents what actually happens once the western starts.

Yes, I think there'd be an Immigration inspection at the end of the cruise at Port Canaveral because that's the first U.S. destination after having been in the Cayman Islands, Mexico, and the Bahamas.

To be on the safe side please get a notarized letter from the father. You may not like him, your DD may now hate him, but he is STILL and will ALWAYS be the father of your DD's children (your grandhcildren). Like it or not he will be a part of their lives.

I'm sorry but this is a sensative subject, and I know that children have better and happier lives when the divorced parents actually get along.

Back to the subject, since it is required for both parents to sign or give permission for a passport, I would be on the safe side and have a notarized letter. Wouldn't it be sad if you got to the ship and there was a problem and now it's too late? Do it for your grandchildren.

We went to get passports in August, witht he new law, I had to write a letter saying why I could not get the fathers authorization (no contact at since custoday was established). They then contacted me and I had to provide them with orginal court papers stating that I had custody. The passport took a few months but it arrived the day before we left about 3 months in all.

We'll be taking the Eastern 7 day cruise in June with my stepdaughter and her friend and until I read this thread hadn't thought there would be an issue. For passport purposes, does anyone know what age is considered "adult"? My stepdaughter will be 17 at cruise time and since she has little or no contact with her mother, it will be impossible to get her to sign the passport form. Maybe we'd better forget the passport and go with original birth certificate and a photo ID? Thanks in advance for you help...

Hi Ruth Ann! DCL considers age 18 and over an adult, so if your stepdaughter and friend are only 17 at the time of sailing all that is required is the certified birth certificate or passport. :)

If your stepdaughters friend is under 18 you may want to get a notarized letter from her parents just so there is no problem there .

mickey4me: "Adult" passports are issued at age 16+, but I don't know if at 16 they require both parent's signatures. The state dept. has the forms you can print off. Look at the one for the 10 year passport and see if it has a place for parent's signatures. If you have time to get the passports, I'd get them. I read on another board that one cruise company is now requiring passports,(I didn't verify that) and DCL did recently tighten their ID policy. I wonder if DCL will continue to tighten and end up requiring passports?????

On another note for people taking your childs friends.

Please make sure you also get a notarized note from the parents stating that they give permission for medical treatment. Have it include allergies, family, doctor,medications the child (teen) takes, and all insurance info.

An ED physician will provide life saving medical treatment while waiting for consent, but simpler things like ear infections, sutures, broken bone etc will wait until consent is given via phone. If the parents cannot be reached (shopping, out, etc) treatment an be delayed and you end up hanging out in the ED.

Most banks will provide notary service for little or no charge.

nancir

Greetings.
I have been informed by DCL and travel agent that a notarized letter from the non-custodial parent is now mandatory to be able to cruise with them because of leaving the country. I am also divorced and have custody so this is an issue for me. Luckily I will have no problem getting it because we are on speaking terms for the sake of the kids. It is all legitimate and understandable reasons they give though some may not like the reasons given. In short, they don't want to be liable or responsible for helping anyone get their kids away from the non-custodial parent and leaving them in another country. Legal battles need to stay between the family and not involve DCL though most would not dream of taking and leaving the country permantly to keep the child(ren) away from the other parent. I was able to do this with no problem this past September as their new rule was not in effect at the time but is now and at our next sailing.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to check out the passport forms and see what signatures will be required. Since my stepdaughter and I have the same last name, I'm not sure how they'll know if I'm her mom or stepmom but will probably try and track down her birth mother and get her signature just in case. My stepdaughter's friend will be 18 at cruise time and I was told a letter from her parents wasn't necessary. Maybe we will take one though again, just in case.
Thanks for all your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter