Fastpasses are now on the same network

So what you're saying is that because so many other things about the parks are great I'm not allowed to have what, to me, is a 100% legitimate complaint? A disadvantage that would theoretically apply equally to most of you because this is an English-based fan site?

If Shanghai can do it, there's nothing stopping Tokyo and that's that. Unless you're agreeing that all non-Japanese deserve to have a lesser experience and that that's perfectly fine and dandy. Is it a total dealbreaker? Perhaps not. But again, it is literally the only Disney resort in the entire world this applies to. I don't give them a pass on this just because they have great rides and service. Clearly, many of you feel differently.

As far as translating the app, I think they're in line with most Japanese companies. It's quite common for Japanese companies to lock their apps to the Japan play store and not translate them. On the flip side, a Japanese person could complain just as much about the US parks. Why aren't their apps translated into Japanese? Hong Kong Disneyland's app is available in Japanese. I don't think that WDW is any friendlier to non-English speakers than TDR is to non-Japanese speakers.

TDR has started offering English food guides and been translating more of their website into other languages. They're moving to accommodate more foreign guests but if they never translate the app, you could always put in effort to learn Japanese.
Can things from the app be copy and pasted? Google translate would be an option if so

Can things from the app be copy and pasted? Google translate would be an option if so

It'd all be moot anyway, as right now the app is not available in the US app store. Again, the only Disney resort in the entire world where that is the case.

So what you're saying is that because so many other things about the parks are great I'm not allowed to have what, to me, is a 100% legitimate complaint? A disadvantage that would theoretically apply equally to most of you because this is an English-based fan site?

If Shanghai can do it, there's nothing stopping Tokyo and that's that. Unless you're agreeing that all non-Japanese deserve to have a lesser experience and that that's perfectly fine and dandy. Is it a total dealbreaker? Perhaps not. But again, it is literally the only Disney resort in the entire world this applies to. I don't give them a pass on this just because they have great rides and service. Clearly, many of you feel differently.
You keep saying this. Yes, we know. That is because it's the only Disney resort in the world run by OLC & as a Japanese company, this is how they choose to run their parks.

You can complain about whatever you like but it sounds like you are angry because a theme park in a non-English speaking country does not cater to English speakers. I just can't really relate to this. Most people on this board cannot speak Japanese & yet people generally come back to report that they had a great time with few or zero communication issues, and got to do everything they wanted to do - including harbor view MiraCosta rooms, Magellan's, character dining shows, etc. Occasionally someone asks me to translate something or help them write their name in Japanese, for dining reservations. Nobody has ever expressed anger, frustration, dissatisfaction, etc during this process. I was actually really surprised to see your complaint.

Personally, I have never gone to a non-English speaking country & expected them to cater to me. The onus is on me, as the guest, to figure it out. I really get annoyed when people on The Amazing Race, for example, land in a non-English speaking country and immediately ask, "OMG, why doesn't anyone speak ENGLISH here?!" Why would they?

I absolutely do think locals should have better packages available and an easier time getting the most desirable hotel rooms & dining reservations. OLC would be stupid not to ensure this because the locals are the ones who will keep coming back to pay the bills. It's the exact opposite of the marketing thought process in WDW. But, foreign tourists are not unwelcome. It's not like they have pictures of foreigners pinned up with big Xs over their faces. CMs have absolutely no way of knowing I speak Japanese until I open my mouth & before that happens, everyone is still super friendly, and nobody is whispering "UGLY FOREIGNER" to their coworkers. They always want to help. You just have to do a little extra work.

There is not a single thing you can do on the TDR app that you can't do another way, in English or with Google Translate. There are tons of resources in English & people on this forum who will help you. Make use of that. There are so few people who post here & I really want everyone to have a good time when they come. I honestly feel a little sad that you would say this language issue somehow lessens the parks for you. So, I wrote this post hoping that you might think about the issue a little differently and maybe have a better time on your next visit.

No option to copy/paste. Although even if you couldn't figure out all the words, just looking at the symbols and numbers could give you some info and I'm sure CMs would be willing to help if you asked.

My opinion on the matter is that if TDR wanted to be more accommodating to foreign guests, they should work on app translations and make it available on foreign app stores. But I don't think they necessary have a responsibility to; it's the guest's responsibility to figure out how to install and use the app if they wish to use it.

Most people on this board cannot speak Japanese & yet people generally come back to report that they had a great time with few or zero communication issues, and got to do everything they wanted to do - including harbor view MiraCosta rooms, Magellan's, character dining shows, etc. Occasionally someone asks me to translate something or help them write their name in Japanese, for dining reservations. Nobody has ever expressed anger, frustration, dissatisfaction, etc during this process. I was actually really surprised to see your complaint.

Well well well
I tried to book Magellan and it was in Japanese.
So I used Chrome to auto translate but it messed up the dates and possibly others. I gave up.
Couldn't pass the 3rd page, no chance to get the payment done, probably need my name in Japanese ( and possibly reject my non-Japan credit card, IDK couldn't try).
( some of my friends thinks that having their name in Japanese or Chinese is cool, but really that name is not you.... it is just your wrongly pronounced name ..LOL )

Anyway, thanks for making the point and putting 2+2 together about MiraCosta rooms and Magellan and character dining.... you need a Disney hotel booking before you can do English booking. That's going beyond the racism that's seems prevalent in the country ( There were shops that stops Chinese from going in.... just Google them)
but may be lesser now as the then #1 economy in Asia was overtaken by the very people they are trying to bar.
They are discriminating the rich from the poor as well.... i cannot afford to stay at TDL hotel... ridiculous pricing, I can do 2/3 days with a day there.

I must say that WDW and DLR also seems to target local ( and Brits to some extend ) with their discounts & other specials. But at least I can still make an ADR there and do my FP+. No chance with TDL & TDS, app nor website ( at least the PS part).

Ok, rant off.... go back to do my TDL planning.

It'd all be moot anyway, as right now the app is not available in the US app store. Again, the only Disney resort in the entire world where that is the case.
Ok. I doubt management from the OLC are reading this thread. I could be wrong. But it seems like a passionate letter to those in charge might get noticed and perhaps sway their thinking on this subject.

Well well well
I tried to book Magellan and it was in Japanese.
So I used Chrome to auto translate but it messed up the dates and possibly others. I gave up.
Couldn't pass the 3rd page, no chance to get the payment done, probably need my name in Japanese ( and possibly reject my non-Japan credit card, IDK couldn't try).
( some of my friends thinks that having their name in Japanese or Chinese is cool, but really that name is not you.... it is just your wrongly pronounced name ..LOL )

Anyway, thanks for making the point and putting 2+2 together about MiraCosta rooms and Magellan and character dining.... you need a Disney hotel booking before you can do English booking. That's going beyond the racism that's seems prevalent in the country ( There were shops that stops Chinese from going in.... just Google them)
but may be lesser now as the then #1 economy in Asia was overtaken by the very people they are trying to bar.
They are discriminating the rich from the poor as well.... i cannot afford to stay at TDL hotel... ridiculous pricing, I can do 2/3 days with a day there.

I must say that WDW and DLR also seems to target local ( and Brits to some extend ) with their discounts & other specials. But at least I can still make an ADR there and do my FP+. No chance with TDL & TDS, app nor website ( at least the PS part).

Ok, rant off.... go back to do my TDL planning.
The website just wants the phonetic Japanese characters, not kanji, so that the CMs know how to pronounce your name when/if they need to call you. Japanese & non-Japanese people alike need to do this. So John Smith does have to be Jon Sumisu but he doesn’t have to be some random characters that mean “the wrong demon protects the grapefruit” because he thought it looked cool :rotfl2:

If you can figure out the name issue, that should solve the problem. You don’t need a credit card to make dining reservations. If that doesn’t work, and you still want to eat at Magellan’s, you can go to the restaurant in person & make a same-day reservation.

As far as pricing, that’s just the way of the world. Theme park vacations are a luxury in & of themselves.

Ok. I doubt management from the OLC are reading this thread. I could be wrong. But it seems like a passionate letter to those in charge might get noticed and perhaps sway their thinking on this subject.
They aren’t. And it won’t.

The website just wants the phonetic Japanese characters, not kanji, so that the CMs know how to pronounce your name when/if they need to call you. Japanese & non-Japanese people alike need to do this. So John Smith does have to be Jon Sumisu but he doesn’t have to be some random characters that mean “the wrong demon protects the grapefruit” because he thought it looked cool :rotfl2:

If you can figure out the name issue, that should solve the problem. You don’t need a credit card to make dining reservations. If that doesn’t work, and you still want to eat at Magellan’s, you can go to the restaurant in person & make a same-day reservation.

As far as pricing, that’s just the way of the world. Theme park vacations are a luxury in & of themselves.

They aren’t. And it won’t.
We had a heck of a time getting our name in Japanese but managed.

Can you imagine what wdw would charge for a hotel inside a park?

We had a heck of a time getting our name in Japanese but managed.

Can you imagine what wdw would charge for a hotel inside a park?
giphy.gif

For real, though. What did they say the Star Wars hotel is going for at opening? $1K/night?

giphy.gif

For real, though. What did they say the Star Wars hotel is going for at opening? $1K/night?
I think I heard $1k tossed around too because it’s supposed to be an “experience” instead of just a hotel

It's people that thinks that it's a good deal that made it possible !!

TDR Alert downloaded. Tells wait times for restaurants as well 🍕
We ate at queen of hearts and the wait said like 30 minutes when really it was about 10. I’m not sure if we just hit the time right or how accurate the restaurant times are on the app. The ride times always seemed to be pretty accurate

There are plans to release the app in English.

The app just rolled out in Japanese first well because its Japan.
All the other parks have apps in english because Walt Disney Company have ownership in them where in this case they have no ownership at TDR, only OLC.

This is all still new - and with digital FP launching with Soaring, I am sure the English app will come out much sooner then we think. They know they have international guests coming and that it is becoming more popular and I think they realize this as well.

Be patient - the time will come :)

If true, hope it will be release by Oct this year.
I am going on Dec and do not want to have the issues I faced with FP+ when it rolled out in 2013, just months before I visited WDW.
They needed time to iron out bugs.

We ate at queen of hearts and the wait said like 30 minutes when really it was about 10. I’m not sure if we just hit the time right or how accurate the restaurant times are on the app. The ride times always seemed to be pretty accurate
Now that's a good problem, lower wait than reported is always welcome.
i checked that restaurant yesterday lunch & dinner as we plan to eat there as well ( who doesn't) , lunch was like 40min and dinner was 20 min. In fact for all restaurant, dinner was 20 mins. Yesterday was a A day at TDL.

Now that's a good problem, lower wait than reported is always welcome.
i checked that restaurant yesterday lunch & dinner as we plan to eat there as well ( who doesn't) , lunch was like 40min and dinner was 20 min. In fact for all restaurant, dinner was 20 mins. Yesterday was a A day at TDL.
We went to lunch at like 11 I think. It looked busier once we were leaving

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!