Fastpass booking and split stay. Advice...

disland7

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
We are staying at the grand Floridian oct 15-18. Then we plan on maybe doing something not Disney over the weekend. Then a stay at Bay lake towers on the 21-24. If I book a hotel for the weekend that has 60 fastpass benefit for the weekend will I be able to book fast passes for the whole trip? Can I cancel the weekend hotel without anything happening to my fastpasses for the 21-24 if it’s past the 60 day booking window?

It's difficult to answer because one thing are the rules and another is how Disney IT has implemented them. The rules are that consecutive cash booking are not considered a single stay for FP+ booking purposes. So a middle cash booking shouldn't allow you to book FP+ at 67 days out for your second reservation.
Also the rule is that is a stay is cancelled after the FP+ have been booked at 60+ days, unless it's rebooked within 2 days, all FP+ are cancelled.
I don't know how many of those rules are correctly implemented by IT, the fact the stay is partly DVC and partly cash might confuse the system and make the outcome unpredictable. I wouldn't risk to have no FP+ at, I would book at 60 days for the second stay.
The good news is that Slinky, FoP and 7DMT are normally available even at 60 days now. If you plan the studios or AK for your 61st and 62nd day for both stays you shouldn't have any problem booking them.

We are staying at the grand Floridian oct 15-18. Then we plan on maybe doing something not Disney over the weekend. Then a stay at Bay lake towers on the 21-24. If I book a hotel for the weekend that has 60 fastpass benefit for the weekend will I be able to book fast passes for the whole trip?
No. The nights must be consecutive in order to book FPs across a split stay. You will have a 60-day window for each reservation.
Can I cancel the weekend hotel without anything happening to my fastpasses for the 21-24 if it’s past the 60 day booking window?
If you cancel a resort stay, all FPs made in connection with that stay will eventually be cancelled.

We are staying at the grand Floridian oct 15-18. Then we plan on maybe doing something not Disney over the weekend. Then a stay at Bay lake towers on the 21-24. If I book a hotel for the weekend that has 60 fastpass benefit for the weekend will I be able to book fast passes for the whole trip? Can I cancel the weekend hotel without anything happening to my fastpasses for the 21-24 if it’s past the 60 day booking window?
Maybe. AFAIK, a few non-Disney hotels do have the FP+60 day benefit, but I do not know for sure how the FP+ system treats those resorts. Currently, even cash stays for the on-site Disney resorts (not booked through MS) have separate FP+ windows for each segment. It's most likely that the non-Disney resorts are treated in a similar manner. I'd plan on the separate windows.

You should lose your fast passes according to Disney.
What you are doing with that stay in the middle is a leading stay - and that is what people were doing, and exactly what Disney wanted to stop when they made the changes.

Also, I would not worry about it too much.

My 60 day window opened this week. I got FOP on day 1 - and that is about the hardest to get. If you are on line at the FP window opening, it seems that everything is out there now (FOP and SDMT in particular)

Last edited:
Currently, even cash stays for the on-site Disney resorts (not booked through MS) have separate FP+ windows for each segment.
By all accounts this is no longer true. Cash and DVC split reservations are considered as continuous stays for FP reservations (as long as no gaps). I’m not sure about the offsite hotels with the benefit but as I assume the room gets linked to MDE it probably would work.

Disney now spins the time it wasn’t treated as continuous as a bug that was corrected.

To the OP cancels a resort reservation that was utilized to get advanced FP reservations the system does now cancel those FP if a room isn’t rebooked within 2 days. If I recall correctly DIS no longer allows discussions on any ways around the rule (at least TPAS and News forums no longer allow it as it’s against Disney policy).

By all accounts this is no longer true. Cash and DVC split reservations are considered as continuous stays for FP reservations (as long as no gaps). I’m not sure about the offsite hotels with the benefit but as I assume the room gets linked to MDE it probably would work.

Disney now spins the time it wasn’t treated as continuous as a bug that was corrected.

To the OP cancels a resort reservation that was utilized to get advanced FP reservations the system does now cancel those FP if a room isn’t rebooked within 2 days. If I recall correctly DIS no longer allows discussions on any ways around the rule (at least TPAS and News forums no longer allow it as it’s against Disney policy).
Good to know. Thank you!

P.S. DIS DVC Forums do not allow discussions of ways to get around Disney policies & rules, either.

Thanks for all the replies - I'm not totally sure what we are doing on that weekend but I really didn't want to mess up my fast passes for the second week if that was a possibility. But if I could take advantage of the continuous stay I wanted to. Thanks all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts