FAQ: Flying Out of Buffalo OR Detroit

We live in London and almost always fly out of DTW. We usually fly Spirit (out of the older Smith terminal) departing for Orlando at 7:00am, so we do the SPF routine. Last two times we've stayed at the HoJo. Never again. It is cheap, but you get what you pay for. Rooms are dark, dirty, and often moldy in the wet areas. The Marriott Fairfield is right next door and is a much cleaner hotel - that's where we'll stay next time. Also the Marriott is immediately adjacent to Qwik Park for long-term parking. We used Qwik Park for our last trip and the lot is large, well laid out, and the shuttle service was very good.

- Mike

we leave our car for 2 weeks - this year we are staying at the Airport Crowne Plaza for $147 and this includes 8 nights parking and then we pay /day to park the additional days. The cars are parked in supervised lots - we leave ours for 2 weeks every year - no problems at all. I would not be concened about that.

I live in the Windsor area and we fly from Detroit regularly. It's a relatively safe area. I say that, as a business traveller, most airport neighborhoods are not in subdivisions. Usual rules for safety apply. I am comfortable walking to and from restaurants and hotels in that area.

As far as car safety, most of the airport hotels have deals with the commercial park 'n fly lots. $20.00 over room rate gets you a 7 days in a guarded, fenced lit lot. A few still let you park in their lot, but last time I stayed pre-trip, I could not find one, so maybe it's hearsay.... Park 'n Fly works out well. Park your car, ride the shuttle to the airport, get dropped at the correct terminal check luggage, grab cocktail, start vaca... reverse when arriving. Extra days are paid per day. Not sure, but I think it was around $8.00 - $10.00.

Last time I stayed it was the Comfort Inn. Has a small restaurant and bar inside. Nothin' fancy, but clean. We agreed we would stay there again. I think around $65 w/o parking, $85 w/ parking. I'll try to post a small map with hotels on it. Not sure how, but I'll try. These are not all the Hotels, just a few across from the Airport.

detroit.jpg

I am trying to find the fares you all quoted from NWA. We have reservations at OKW Mar 23-28 and I've tried a couple days before and after and the trips are much higher. Can you all help?

You are defiantly right. We're flying March break through SWA, saved $750 by doing the extra 3 hour drive(as opposed to flying out of Buffalo), and close to $2200(for 4) rather than out of TO.
Never flew from Detroit though, if anyone has any tips.....please post them.
Thanks

If you are flying out on Saturday of March break, you would be wise to stay near the airport in Detroit the night before. I live in Windsor and once school lets out on Friday, it will be a long wait to cross the bridge.

We got a really good rate at the Crown Plaza near the airport that included 7 days of parking and the nights stay. Then we can get the shuttle to the airport in the morning.

I stayed at the Westin in 07 and we had to wait 40 minutes for bell services, so I figured I will not do that again. I was very disappointed.

Let me know what time you think you will be passing through Windsor and I will give you whatever tips I can.

For those that travel from Detroit...I'd like to see some info pertaining to parking there. Costs?...Safety?...Sleep/park/fly?

Last summer I almost booked 4 tickets from Detroit at around $425 but DH said he was not comfortable leaving the car there.

There are different types of lots. Blue lots are the cheapest. I fly out of Detroit all the time both for personal and business.

You can park at the old Smith terminal the cheapest - $7 or $8 per day and they will shuttle you to either terminal. Allow at least 20 minutes to get around.

You can park at the Northwest terminal but I think it is $13 a day.

You can also park offsite and they will shuttle you in for a bit more than the blue lots.

The lots are very safe and I have come home at 1am alone and had no worries since they drop you off right at your car. They do a drive around until you locate your car.

WRITE DOWN YOUR LOT AND AREA!!!!! I write it on the parking stub since you have to keep that and I keep it in the same pocket as my car keys.

I am trying to find the fares you all quoted from NWA. We have reservations at OKW Mar 23-28 and I've tried a couple days before and after and the trips are much higher. Can you all help?

You booked at a very busy time of the year for air travel and since the trip is coming up, the rates are much higher. Check Spirit.com since they often have deals come up. NWA - at this late date might be really hard to get.

Good luck

So how busy do you think it will be crossing over to Detroit on the Thursday night before March break?? March 6th. We aren't leaving Guelph until 4:30pm or so. And how bad will the airport be on the Friday - our flight leaves for San Juan at about noon-ish.
All the schools in our area have a PD day on the Friday so we chose to fly out on the Friday and leave from here the Thursday after work. I'm hoping that not alot of the people from our end will want to drive the 4 hrs to DTW and will fly from BUF instead.
We already have the fairfield booked at $109 for the one night including 8 nights parking.

You should be good crossing on Thursday night. It might take you 45 minutes to get across the bridge, but that can be pretty normal.

There is an AppleBee's at Windsor Crossings mall on Highway 3 (401 turns into Hwy 3) on the left side of the road. It is right on your way if you need to eat.

Guelph is only about 3 -3.5 hours from Windsor. The airport will be busy but not crazy on Friday about noon.

Since Windsor schools do not have a PA day on Friday, only the kids and parents that have taken the day off will be travelling at the same time you are.

FWIW ...

We have only flown through Detroit as a connector on NWA ... but so far NWA has lost our luggage once, damaged our luggage another time, gave us a horrendous time when we missed our connection (to Anchorage) because of mechanical problems on the flight we flew into Detroit (which involved circling Detroit, dumping fuel, and preparing for a crash landing ... was NWA in the least bit sympathetic and helpful? not a chance!!), and are seldom, if ever, on time.

We try to avoid NWA as much as we can ... unfortunately there are few alternatives out of our home airport when we are travelling to visit our son in Alaska.

WOW< sounds like you've have had a rough time on NWA. Quite the contrast, we have flown with them the last 3 years with absolutely no issues at all - and last year they overboked the flight and had to separate my husband from my two DD's and myself, and they gave us $300 of flying credit for our trouble - without batting an eye!

Sorry you have had such bad experiences.

mtmbyck, I know a few people that fly NWA almost exclusively, and their experience has been positive, too.

Now. Detroit Hotels with an airport shuttle included, breakfast-early-preferred. Which have you used? Which would you recommend? Which would you definitely stay away from?

Thanks for ALL your input.

I have only been on an airplane once in my life and that was going to WDW. I have to say that I enjoyed the Buffalo Airport. The cost to fly to Orlando was 1/2 the price then what I would have paid if I had flown out of Toronto. I live in Hamilton and got lucky that it only took us about 11/2 hours to get there....we also left at like 6am. We parked our car at the airport for the week as well and the price was good. It only cost us $55US in the long term parking at the airport. My husband has flown many times and he has said that was the cheapest. So even though I am a novice traveler my suggestion would definitely be to fly out of Buffalo. We flew with Airtran and I thought is was a great experience!!! Even though I don't have anything to compare it to.

I have never flown out of Buffalo but we are flying Southwest from there to Orlando February 1'st. Direct flight and it was 1400 dollars Canadian cheaper than the Air Canada or West Jet flights out of Toronto. That pays for seven day passes for all four of us and the rental car.

You must drive very carefully as I live in Mississauga and have made it to the Buffalo arena in an hour and a half !

I will go on the airport web site but do you recall the amenities and pricing at the Buffalo airport once you clear security? We are planing on getting there about 2 hours before departure and have a 5 & 7 year old to feed and entertain. I assume they have newstands and fast food restaraunts when you are past security right?

Any suggestions about flying out of Buffalo will be greatly appreciated.

I just booked flights for Disney in November out of Detroit. I will be driving from Kitchener (flights were cheaper than Buffalo AND got a direct there) Any suggestions on parking, safety, ease of getting through the airport?

Yes.. I merged your post into this sticky thread filled with LOTS of great info.

Knox

Ah I posted a thread then found this. Glad for all the info! Was worried about crossing the border then flying out but it seems to not be any more hassle than just crossing the border to shop.I just hope I don't get lost and get to my flight on time!

Oh and the NWA stuff scares me! That's who we are booked through

I have flown on a lot of different air lines and they all have good and bad stories.

Just remember that no matter what happens, be pleasant to the people at the desk. Getting angry will get you no where FAST!

Good luck.

Does anyone have a hotel map for BUF like the one for Detroit on the previous page? I always forget which hotel is across the street from the airport!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter