Guests Managing Expectations When Comparing Disneyland Paris To the Other Parks

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
Restaurants and Food In The Parks
  1. Disneyland Paris Restaurant ADR open 60 days from arrival date
  2. Many restaurants are not open every day
  3. Many restaurants will close before 6pm and have a last reservation time of 4.30pm
  4. Food standard is generally a lot lower than in the American parks
  5. There are NO Mickey Bars onsale
  6. There are NO Mickey Waffles or Mickey Beignets at Disneyland Paris
  7. There are multiple buffet restaurants, which have European style food, not American food
  8. Food deliveries to the onsite hotels are not the norm. Unlike Walt Disney World and Disneyland California, onsite hotel guests do not buy food to eat in the rooms. Most standard rooms at the Disneyland Paris hotels do not have a fridge.
  9. There is NO mobile food ordering for either quick service or table service restaurants in the parks

FastPass

Disneyland Paris does not have Magic Bands or Fatspass ++.
The Fastpass are the paper ones which you get on the day at the machines beside the rides.
The Fastpass rides are
Main Park
Peter Pan
Big Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Star Tours
Buzz Lightyear
Indiana Jones Rollercoaster

Disney Studios
Ratatouille
Tower of Terror
RocknRoller Coaster

There is an option for paid Fastpass, but generally the view seems to be that it is not worth it and to avoid it. You will do all you need to do with the regular free Fastpass.

Other types of Fastpasses available to club level guests at some of the hotels.

The Parks
  1. There are 2 parks - the main park and Disney Studios
  2. Just like Disneyland California, the parks are side by side and park hopping is very easy
  3. Disney Studios is a movie themed park and is mainly a half day park
  4. All the ride and attraction audios are in French
  5. Disneyland Paris is Frenchified Disney, an American style theme park with the cultural and social behaviours of France / central Europe
  6. American visitors need to adjust their expectations, there is not the same level of Disney happy smiliey customer service from the CM's
  7. American visitors need to adjust their expectations, Disneyland Paris does not have the same level of upkeep and maintenance as the American parks
  8. American visitors need to adjust their expectations, Disneyland Paris, guest behaviour is very different, for example guests smoke all over the park, not in the designated smoking areas
  9. American visitors need to adjust their expectations, clothes sizes are smaller, there is less variety of merchandise, guests are not into the wearing of Disney clothes or Mouse Ears or pin lanyards in the pins.
  10. You can not use American Disney Gift Cards bought in Target or Costco in Disneyland Paris
  11. Disneyland Paris does not have Disney Vacation Club Villas. It is possible for DVC member to use points BUT it is very bad value and you will be in a regular hotel NOT the separate DVC buildings / villas
  12. There are NO touring plans websites for Disneyland Paris.
  13. ECV and scooter hire at Disneyland Paris is NOT like in the American parks. You rarely see anyone using an ECV and those that do own them and bring their own to the parks. Disney does not hire ECV.
  14. There are disability passes available BUT the rules are very different to the American parks. To get a disability pass at Disneyland Paris you will need a letter from your doctor which dated no more than 6 months before your visit. This letter must state the disability and WHY you need a disability pass. For example, I have a pin in my ankle which prevents me from standing in line for more than 20 minutes.
  15. Disneyland Paris guests smoke all over the park, even though Disney rules state that smoking must be in the designated zones only. Disneyland Paris CM's may or may not enforce this rule, it depends on the CM. You need to be aware that guests will smoke while walking around and while waiting in line.
Rides and Attractions

Unique to Disneyland Paris

Main Park
Adventure Isle
Alice's Curious Labyrinth
Indiana Jones Rollercoaster
Dragon Under The Castle
Aladdin Walk Through
Nautilus Walk Through
Pirate Ship Walk Through
Pirate Beach and Caves

Disney Studios
Armageddon Special Effects
Crushes Coaster
Ratatouille

Different Variations of Rides Found at American Parks

All of the other rides and attractions at Disneyland Paris are different variations of their namesakes in the American Parks. Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain and Haunted Manor in particular are very different to their American counterparts. Dont discount or skip rides just because you THINK "oh thats the same as Walt Disney World or Disneyland California"

Last edited:
Most of this is very true and I think people do need to be aware that DLP is culturally very different to the US parks.

However I’d like to point out that not all attractions and announcements are solely in French - some have an English version and some mix the two languages well. Also many visitors like to wear Disney themed clothing including ears and pins. You won’t see the hoards of matching t-shirts like in the US parks.

In what way? Just curious:) We live near Disneyland and have been to WDW a few times- most recently last summer. Heading to DLP this summer - haven’t been in over 20 years.

It's the only one where the Castle park is not called "Disneyland". My dad thinks "Disney World" is the castle park. It's also the only one where you have to book your Fastpasses in advance.

It's the only one where the Castle park is not called "Disneyland". My dad thinks "Disney World" is the castle park. It's also the only one where you have to book your Fastpasses in advance.
You could also add that it's the only one with more than two parks and the only one where those parks are not within walking distance of each other (I suppose Epcot and Hollywood Studios kind of are at a push, but you know what I mean).

Basically you look at Tokyo, Anaheim and Paris and they are all set up in a reasonably similar way (haven't been to the Chinese ones, so can't compare) in terms of park locations and hotels, while WDW is just on a completely different level to anything else. A massive, fantastic, wonderful level, but maybe a bit overwhelming to people who are going there for their first time having been used to one of the other locations!

I made a list of differences a while ago and I don't think we have identical lists, so I am just posting mine as well :P

Unique to Disneyland Paris & Studios

- Ratatouille- Speedy 3D ride - Fastpass available, Single Riders entrance available
- Crush Coaster – Coaster – Single Riders entrance available (not always open)
- Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin – Carnival type ride, not to be confused with Slinky Dog coaster in WDW
- Alice’s labyrinth – Walkthrough Alice in Wonderland (1956)
- Casey Jr. – Le petit Train du Cirque – Kiddie Coaster
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril – Coaster with inversion, not to be confused with Indiana Jones in Disneyland Anaheim
- La Galerie de la Belle au Bois Dormant – Castle walkthrough (Balcony at the back sometimes closed)
- La Taniere du Dragon – Walkthrough with an amazing huge animatronic of a dragon.
- Le Passage Enchanté d’Aladdin – Walkthrough with the story of Aladdin
- Les Mystères du Nautilus – Walkthrough around Jules Verne’s Nautilus
- Les Voyages de Pinocchio – Kiddie dark ride
- Armageddon – Special Effects Show
- Cars Quatre Roues Rallye

Similar but different

- Big Thunder Mountain: The best Big Thunder Mountain of all Big Thunder Mountains. No competition. Photopass available
- Tower of Terror, identical to Disneyland Anaheim before the Guardians of the Galaxy layover. Photopass available.
- Autopia, similar to Tomorrowland Speedway
- Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast – Slightly different rooms and decor, blasters are not fixed to your starcruiser. Fastpass Available – Photopass Available
- Dumbo, Aladdin, Orbitron - it’s identical, but your view will be different
- It’s a Small World
- La Cabane des Robinson – Similar to Tarzan’s Treehouse, but then themed around the Swiss Family Robinson.
- Le Carrousel de Lancelot – Carrousel, but different theming
- Le Pays des Contes Fées – Similar to Storybook Land Canal Boats, but without a CM making jokes.
- Mad Hatter’s Tea Cups
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Mickey’s Philharmagic – Some songs in English, most in French.
- Phantom Manor – Similar to Haunted Mansion but with a slightly different plotline and order of scenes
- Pirates of the Caribbean – Similar to the other Pirates rides (with Jack Sparrow addition) – 2 drops, Photopass available
- Blanche-Neige et les Sept Nains – Snow White’s Scary Adventures
- Star Tours – Fastpass available
- Star Wars Hyperspace Mountain – Fastpass available – Single Riders available (not always open) – Photopass available
- Thunder Mesa Riverboat Landing – Similar to Liberty Square Riverboat, but different scenery.
- RC Racer
- Rock ’n Roller Coaster – With inversion – Fastpass available – Photopass available
- Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop – Not available in the US parks, but copies can be found in Disneyland Hong Kong and Shanghai

Fastpass:
Fastpass is available at the following rides:
- Big Thunder Mountain
- Peter Pan
- Hyperspace Mountain
- Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast
- Indiana Jones
- Star Tours
- Ratatouille
- Tower of Terror
Phantom Manor should have a Fastpass entrance available after the refurbishment

Single Riders:
The following rides have a single riders access, however these are not always open. The entrances are clearly marked at the regular entrance.
- Hyperspace Mountain
- Ratatouille
- Crush Coaster

Rides with minimum lengths:
- Autopia – 81cm (31 inch, 2.6 foot)
- Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop - 81cm (31 inch, 2.6 foot)
- Star Tours – 1.02m (40 inch, 3.3 foot)
- Big Thunder Mountain – 1.02m (40 inch, 3.3 foot)
- Tower of Terror – 1.02m (40 inch, 3.3 foot)
- Crush Coaster – 1.07m (42 inch, 3.5 foot)
- RC Racer – 1.20m (47 inch, 3.9 foot)
- Rock ’n Roller Coaster – 1.20m (47 inch, 3.9 foot)
- Indiana Jones – 1.40m (55 inch, 4.5 foot)

Smoking
People smoke everywhere in the Paris parks. Lots of parents walking along holding their cigarettes at a perfect height for their children to inhale the toxic fumes. And at one point we saw a woman sitting in her child's stroller, smoking a cigarette, while talking to a cast member who didn't seem to care.

Smoking
People smoke everywhere in the Paris parks. Lots of parents walking along holding their cigarettes at a perfect height for their children to inhale the toxic fumes. And at one point we saw a woman sitting in her child's stroller, smoking a cigarette, while talking to a cast member who didn't seem to care.

Thanks for this. European attitudes towards smoking are very different to America. The laws changed and smoking indoors in public places became illegal, so people think that being outside means it ok to smoke.

I regularly pass a maternity hospital on my commute to work. There is a bus stop outside this maternity hospital with seats. Its very usual to see ladies in PJ's and dressing gowns who have obviously come out from the hospital sitting on the seats and smoking.

The title of this thread is still obnoxious, rude and makes improper assumptions about an entire group of people.

I will continue to report you until all the titles are changed.

Edited to add - it’s also FAQ, NOT FAO.

The title of this thread is still obnoxious, rude and makes improper assumptions about an entire group of people.

I will continue to report you until all the titles are changed.

Don't worry, we know you did and we are discussing with the moderator how to solve this issue. Just be patient. The moderator has a life and work too.

Don't worry, we know you did and we are discussing with the moderator how to solve this issue. Just be patient. The moderator has a life and work too.

Easy enough to change a title no? Why not just call it an FAQ and not target visitors from one specific place?

Your small group seem to think this is YOUR forum. It’s obnoxious.

Easy enough to change a title no? Why not just call it an FAQ and not target visitors from one specific place?

Your small group seem to think this is YOUR forum. It’s obnoxious.

I am asking you to be patient, as some people here have different ideas than you, we are in touch with the moderator.

I am asking you to be patient, as some people here have different ideas than you, we are in touch with the moderator.

No patience required - one of the pinned posts very clearly states that specific nationalities shall NOT be mentioned in posts. This whole series of posts very clearly and obviously violates that rule. Both in the titles and frequently in the body of the post.

I will be taking this to the DU team who sponsor the boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!