Fantasy and Reality often Overlap - and they WILL on April 17, 2021, Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Sailing!

disneyfool_1202

The countdown has begun!!
Ahoy ship mates! I've been looking for a cruise meet thread for weeks and weeks and having not found one, I decided to start one. If it's already started and I missed it, please someone show me where it is - and then keep in mind that if I can get this lost on the boards, think of how easy I'll get all turned around on a ship as big as the Fantasy! :)

All kidding around, I hope everyone that is planning to sail is doing well, is healthy, is safe, and managing through the COVID crisis. My name is Denise, I'm from Massachusetts and I'm in week 6 of work from home quarantine. With me are my husband (also working from home) and two teens - both schooling from home. My 16 year old son and 14 year old daughter. There are ups and downs to quarantine life, but one of the best ways I have thought about spending it is starting to come here and think about where I hope we will all be together a year from now! I will say ahead of time it is so nice to virtually meet you all and at some point if someone joins me we can officially start a roll call!

Hey Denise, so nice of you to start this! We just booked this cruise on March 19 while waiting at the San Diego airport to fly home after our crazy WBPC cruise! It will be myself, DH, DS 17 and DD 10 when we cruise. We were originally looking to book a Western on the Fantasy in June as a graduation present for DS, but it was $6000 more for the same cruise in a deluxe family oceanview than this one in April in the same category. We booked this originally in that category on opening day for summer 2021. After our PC cruise we decided to switch to concierge for our first and probably only time since we got a discount to apply to a future cruise. My husband wanted to keep the same room and save more money, but the kids and I wanted to experience concierge since it was only going to be $1000 more than our deluxe family oceanview. (And, it was still $5000 less than June. :) ) So now it is DS’s pregraduation cruise! With all this craziness going on I am a little afraid of what what will happen with a second wave of Covid 19 and praying that things are back on track for this cruise. Happy planning!

Welcome!! MY DS will be 17 at cruise time too and this is also his pre-graduation cruise! Great minds! LOL!

OK so it looks like as of now it's just us! :hyper: however, the ship looks pretty full from the reservations standpoint! So we shall see. I have been so overwhelmed lately with working from home and being a teacher / aka prison warden to two teens, one of which has to be sat on for school work from home, that I feel like I will be taking this cruise if I have to go by myself and push the damn boat with flippers all on my own and then climb up on the side as I drift off to sea.......

OK so it looks like as of now it's just us! :hyper: however, the ship looks pretty full from the reservations standpoint! So we shall see. I have been so overwhelmed lately with working from home and being a teacher / aka prison warden to two teens, one of which has to be sat on for school work from home, that I feel like I will be taking this cruise if I have to go by myself and push the damn boat with flippers all on my own and then climb up on the side as I drift off to sea.......
Luckily, our son decided two years ago to transfer to an online school. So that has helped since he has not had too much transition. Who knew this would happen?!? Our DD 9 has struggled a bit more. I know, no one likes homework, but she DETESTS it. So, of course, al work is homework. She also really loves her teacher and her classmates and has struggled with not being with them. Today she asked me how many days until the end of school, and then she asked me how long summer vacation was. She then said, “Oh, that’s SO long until the first day of school!” in a VERY exasperated tone. You don’t get that response every day! :) Were you planning a graduation cruise for your son for after graduation and found prices too high; like us, and then chose the one in April? Did your son request one, or did you just think it would be a good celebration as a family? I am still struggling with getting as excited for this cruise as I normally would since so much is still up in the air. It’s just CRAZY!

Keep on keepin’ on.
Marni

We gave my son an option of a few 'graduation' trip and the Fantasy is the one ship he has yet to be on so this is what he chose. Summer gets tight for us because they are on a dance team and we have Nationals and never know when they will be. So picking April was actually safer in terms of not missing Nationals. It also gives us time between cruising and Nationals. Plus my daughter turns 16 that summer and we will be having a "sweet 16" somehow that summer as well AND his graduation party. So April won!

We are cruising on the Fantasy because it is our son’s favorite ship. He wanted to cruise one more time as a “kid”, and do that on the Fantasy. You can see from my sig that we usually cruise on the Magic or the Wonder, but we have cruised on the Fantasy twice. Our son fell in love with the Fantasy the first time we sailed on her and hasn’t changed his mind since. It have been six years since we last sailed on the Fantasy, and we are all looking forward to it. Luckily, we have not had any summer scheduling issues with sports. I am sure that your son will be very happy with his choice!

Well, I hate to have to intrude but you now have more to add to this forum. We are Norbert & Karla. We are going on the Fantasy to celebrate our 42st anniversary. We were originally booked on the Mexican Riviera for April of 2020 but we all know how that turned out. Looking forward to this itinerary since we have never done the Eastern Caribbean before. We are not new to cruising but this will only be our second with DCL.
Karla

Welcome Norbert & Karla and Congratulations on your 42nd anniversary! Now there are more of us hoping the world returns to normal by March/April 2021 so we can have a wonderful cruise!

Well, I hate to have to intrude but you now have more to add to this forum. We are Norbert & Karla. We are going on the Fantasy to celebrate our 42st anniversary. We were originally booked on the Mexican Riviera for April of 2020 but we all know how that turned out. Looking forward to this itinerary since we have never done the Eastern Caribbean before. We are not new to cruising but this will only be our second with DCL.
Karla
Welcome! The Eastern is a great itinerary!

Sooo...anyone else nervous about this cruise and have a backup plan? It just seemed so far away with no possibility of Covid messing this up. I do think cruising will be a go before then, but we are concerned about the limitations in the kid’s clubs and at the pools. If it were just my husband and myself we would probably just make the best of it and try to enjoy its uniqueness. We booked an Oct.1 Halloween on the High Seas Cruise on the Wonder. We have not cancelled the April one yet. It is so hard to pull the trigger and give up on so many plans and experiences we were going to share together before our son graduates. I am so sad that it looks like he will not be able to experience what he has looked forward to for so many years. The only good news is that we are booked in a Concierge one bedroom stateroom with the triple length veranda on the Wonder since it is so much less expensive than the Fantasy. I hope that it will be a special surprise for the kids, and an amazing experience for all of us.

I'm definitely getting nervous. My son will be 17 for this cruise and still eligible for the teen club. If we postpone a year, he will be an 18 year old and not allowed into the teen club. It also becomes harder as he starts college in the Fall of 2021 and my daughter will be a junior in high school so their Off of School times will be different with the exception of summers and Christmas.
So if I want to sail before he turns 18 so he can finally experience the teen club, we have to do so before August 2021. No pressure though....

I'm definitely getting nervous. My son will be 17 for this cruise and still eligible for the teen club. If we postpone a year, he will be an 18 year old and not allowed into the teen club. It also becomes harder as he starts college in the Fall of 2021 and my daughter will be a junior in high school so their Off of School times will be different with the exception of summers and Christmas.
So if I want to sail before he turns 18 so he can finally experience the teen club, we have to do so before August 2021. No pressure though....
We had to give up on him cruising before 18 if the April cruise is a no go. It makes me very sad, but there just were not many other viable options for us to make that happen. The good news is that he has looked forward to going to Palo since our first cruise when he was 7. I am still bummed that he has had his last cruise as a kid and eligible for the Vibe.

Time to officially say good bye. We are transferring this cruise. Next cruise will be Oct. 1, 2021 on Disney Wonder. Hope to sail the Fantasy again soon!

Currently booked on this cruise, having moved a booking from August 2020. We'll see what new protocols DCL announces before we decide for sure whether to keep this or reschedule for summer 2021.
Myself, DW, DD 18, DD 15. (DD 18 is bummed she won't be eligible for Vibe anymore--had we been able to sail in August 2020 she would have been!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!