Fantasy 11/2-11/9 Mini Report

MrsInsG

Mouseketeer
Hi All-

These boards were such a help to me as I planned my cruise that I would like to give back. Our cruise was fantastic and we rebooked while onboard. We cruised DCL in 2004 with our then 3 y.o. dd; we were not impressed for the price. We decided to try again with our younger two dd's (11 and 14) as they had never been on DCL (or any cruise, for that matter.) Our oldest couldn't join us due to college classes, and we missed having her with us.

We were a party of four staying in a deluxe family veranda room (6614). We had plenty of space for four, but I can't imagine five of us in there. We were on the ERAERAE rotation with late seating. My dh and I have always preferred late, but our 11 year old fell asleep at the table a couple of the nights; next cruise will be early seating. We were originally seated with another family but we did not mesh - at all - and requested, and were granted, a private table. Our servers were fine, if a bit slow compared to the others we could see around us; they just seemed somewhat out-of-sync. The food was good for the most part. We loved Palo brunch but did not dine anywhere but our regular dining room and Cabanas (one night) throughout the cruise.

I expected kids on a Disney cruise. I am a mom, and I am a middle-school teacher; I really, REALLY like kids. *Brace yourselves* Just because it's a DCL trip does not mean your child should run through the aisles in restaurants, or knock into people on the stairs (as a general rule, maybe *not* racing your kids down the stairs would be a good way to go?), or knock into people who were trying to get off the elevator. As my dh told me, I used my "teacher voice" a couple of times - I can't help it, it's a professional hazard. In general, most kids were fine, but those that were allowed the run of ship were problematic. There were quite a few older passengers and those with mobility issues; one bad fall and those people would be seriously compromised. Kids running around without correction can cause a serious issue. I realize Disney can't control parenting, but they can tell parents they need to maintain positive control of their children.

I thought the entertainment was good and enjoyed seeing the shows and participating in some of the family activities. My youngest loved the AquaDuck and both girls really enjoyed the pools and FunnelVision. The fireworks were just really cool! We had a great day on Castaway Cay and ended up getting back on the ship earlier than we would have liked because our Irish skin was starting to burn even after three applications of sunscreen... such is life!

Embarkation and debarkation were smooth and easy. We arrived at 11:30 to board and were checked in and on the ship by 12:20. We self-debarked and were loaded in our car and on the highway at 7:34am; I couldn't ask for more than that!

I am happy to answer any questions you may have, and am so grateful for all of the help you provided during my planning!

Very nice report on your cruise and insightful observations. My mother was a first and second grade teacher. I know the sound of the "teacher voice". Not the same as the mom voice. Teacher voice you are being corrected, mom voice means you are in trouble.

We were on the same cruise, and as someone who is currently mobility challenged — thank you! I’ll write up a quick TR later, but I will say DCL and all the cast members were great in ensuring my comfort and safety. Facilities were largely accessible. #moretocome

enjoyed reading your review, we will be on the Fantasy in Dec
who was the club host? did you go to any of the adult only activities at night?

enjoyed reading your review, we will be on the Fantasy in Dec
who was the club host? did you go to any of the adult only activities at night?

Hi There-

I'm not familiar with the term club host; is that the same as cruise director? If so, Carly was the director and she was so fantastic that my youngest now wants to be a cruise director! The activities staff that we interacted with were superb. They made each activity and each participant seem special and valued. I especially liked Ivan from Peru; he hosted The Feud and was at bingo and a few other activities and remembered everyone he interacted with by name (that was a lot of people!)

I am somewhat ashamed to say we did not partake in any night activities. We were exhausted by the time we were done with dinner. We had the very rare stroll on deck before bed, but most nights saw us sitting on our balcony for a bit. I tried to take the steps most places and swim each day; those things, coupled with the sun and sea air had me out cold by about 10:30-11 each night!

What I can say is that you are likely going to have a fabulous time! The cast members could not have been nicer and more friendly. Have a wonderful cruise!

Hi There-

I'm not familiar with the term club host; is that the same as cruise director? If so, Carly was the director and she was so fantastic that my youngest now wants to be a cruise director! The activities staff that we interacted with were superb. They made each activity and each participant seem special and valued. I especially liked Ivan from Peru; he hosted The Feud and was at bingo and a few other activities and remembered everyone he interacted with by name (that was a lot of people!)

I am somewhat ashamed to say we did not partake in any night activities. We were exhausted by the time we were done with dinner. We had the very rare stroll on deck before bed, but most nights saw us sitting on our balcony for a bit. I tried to take the steps most places and swim each day; those things, coupled with the sun and sea air had me out cold by about 10:30-11 each night!

What I can say is that you are likely going to have a fabulous time! The cast members could not have been nicer and more friendly. Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks for sharing.
We loved Ivan as well when we went in July.
I have the same Q as the pp.. the club host, the person in charge of adult entertainment.
I'm curious to know if Jo (Joanne) got moved to the Fantasy as she no longer is at the Wonder where she was club host for years.

Thanks for sharing.
We loved Ivan as well when we went in July.
I have the same Q as the pp.. the club host, the person in charge of adult entertainment.
I'm curious to know if Jo (Joanne) got moved to the Fantasy as she no longer is at the Wonder where she was club host for years.
It’s amazing that Jo is still working on the ships! We loved her in 2014 on the Fantasy and in 2015 on the Magic. Sailing the Winder in 2020- sad she just left it!

It’s amazing that Jo is still working on the ships! We loved her in 2014 on the Fantasy and in 2015 on the Magic. Sailing the Winder in 2020- sad she just left it!
We had Jo twice this year on the Wonder and we've had her once before, she's our absolute fave!!! I hope she hasn't left DCL and is just on break between contracts.

We had Jo twice this year on the Wonder and we've had her once before, she's our absolute fave!!! I hope she hasn't left DCL and is just on break between contracts.

She hasn't left. she told me on FB she was changing ships from the wonder to either the Fantasy or the Magic, she was waiting on higher ups feedback to make a decision between the two.
We've had her a couple maybe 3 times as well and those were the best cruises we've been to. She makes everything more enjoyable.
We're casual fans, we enjoy it when we sail with her. We met an older couple (in their 60s) who said they do 4-5 cruises a year and only cruise when she's around. They said they were her 'roadies'. She has quite the following onboard.

She hasn't left. she told me on FB she was changing ships from the wonder to either the Fantasy or the Magic, she was waiting on higher ups feedback to make a decision between the two.
We've had her a couple maybe 3 times as well and those were the best cruises we've been to. She makes everything more enjoyable.
We're casual fans, we enjoy it when we sail with her. We met an older couple (in their 60s) who said they do 4-5 cruises a year and only cruise when she's around. They said they were her 'roadies'. She has quite the following onboard.
Her roadies :rotfl2: I love it! Well glad to know she's still with the company. Hopefully we will have her as a club host again in the near future :thumbsup2

Thanks for the report! I teach 12th grade and I've been known to "shhh" my own family. I'm on the Fantasy at the end of May!

Sorry for the confusion! Yes- just left the Wonder, not DCL. :)

[QUOTE="MrsInsG, post: 61258006, member: 604766"

We were a party of four staying in a deluxe family veranda room (6614).

How did you like that room? We have 6624 and 6626 booked for November of 2020. Also, how was the weather in November?

Thanks!
:tigger: :sail:

[QUOTE="MrsInsG, post: 61258006, member: 604766"

We were a party of four staying in a deluxe family veranda room (6614).

How did you like that room? We have 6624 and 6626 booked for November of 2020. Also, how was the weather in November?

Thanks!
:tigger: :sail:

Hi-

The room and location were great! We chose not to use the murphy bed so that the balcony was never blocked; this won't be an option if you have five in your party. Regardless, I think DCL makes a good use of space, but we still needed to use one suitcase as a dresser for our daughter's clothes - not a big deal. I like that the beds were elevated enough to store luggage underneath.

The weather was toasty; a little more, even, than I was expecting. I'm not sure why I surprised as it was my fourth time cruising the Caribbean during this exact week?!? We laughed because it was announced that the high at Castaway would be 82, and we thought that would be perfect! It was 82 with what felt like about 1000% humidity! Just make sure you use lots of sunscreen and keep the water handy and you'll be fine!

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter