Family with 2 toddlers, Would you do a Disney Cruise or Disney Parks + Resort?

MeridaMerida

Mouseketeer
We are a family with two toddlers! I am trying to figure out what would be more magical at this age. We have done the parks on a fluke visit in CA but it was so hot it wasn't very enjoyable and my son didn't do great in the lines.

If your toddlers are not potty trained, I’m pretty sure they aren’t allowed in the pool on the cruise. We had family that wanted to do one when my son was little and that’s what made me say no. I didn’t want to have to explain to him every day that he couldn’t go in the pool, lol. But my kids love to swim so much. That might not be an issue for your family.

I think a vacation to the parks can be what you make it. You can’t possibly see everything, especially with toddlers, so it could be light on parks and heavy on resort time if you want.

I would say it depends on your kids. We have tried cruises with both of my kids( DS was 2.5 on his first, not Disney) DD was 19 months on hers, it was on Disney cruise line. Neither enjoyed it. They wouldn't stay in the child watch areas, they would cry, not stop and finally we would be paged to come get them. The pools or splash pad for youngest were a hit with both, character interactions not so much. There just wasn't enough even on Disney cruise line to keep my DD occupied for the week. We have done WDW with youngest now 6 times, and it is way less exhausting for me, and both kids enjoy it much more. This could just be me though, we used to go on cruises before children, it was fun and relaxing...... definitely not with kids though....so I'd rather be at the resorts and parks. Whatever works for your family, I hope you enjoy the trip!

I've done both and both were enjoyable but the cruise was hard with my 19 month old - she was veeeery clingy to me the whole time which she usually wasn't like at home. Like every meal she wanted to sit on my lap and refused to sit with dad or grandparents which meant I ate every meal with one arm..... Also she was too young for the kids club and she was so clingy that I doubted I could leave her in the nursery. So I said no more cruises until our kids are age 3+. She caught the norovirus at the end of the cruise and projectile vomited they night after we got off the ship. Because toddlers put everything in their mouths.

My DS did much better in the parks and resorts as a toddler than he did on DCL. We did our first DCL cruise when he was 3 on the Dream and, boy, he was cranky. Plus a lot of the excursions were just not toddler friendly. There is a lot more variety for toddlers at the parks and resorts. We tried the cruise again when my DS was 7 and that went much better!

I can’t imagine cruising with children that young. We waited until our kids were 10 and 6. You’d be stuck in a small room and if they were cranky, not too many quiet places to go. Plus if they aren’t potty trained then they can’t go in the main pools on the ship and have to stay in the smaller play areas. I’d do the parks and do half days, or take a break and don’t stay too late.

For kids under 2, I don't think it makes much difference - a cruise probably a bit better as your expectations would generally be lower on the whole regardless of whether it's disney or not.

If at least one of the kids is closer to 3 then would definitely choose parks but with exceedingly low expectations. We took my DD ~2.5yrs for her "babymoon" before her brother was born. We did 1.5 days at MK and a 1/2 at AK and everything was about her - so we didn't worry about getting mom or dad on to Space Mountain or the like - and we very much paid attention to if she needed to go back to the room (she powered through both days however). And like a cliche, the whole time was absolutely magical for us and for her, to the point that we decided then that WDW trips would happen at least every 3 years for our family (and now we're going to purchase DVC).

We loved the cruise because eating was so easy :laughing: but both are wonderful, fantastic experiences during toddlerhood!

The cruise felt easier to us because we could let him RUN (his favorite thing) and didn't have to worry too much. But, we tend to visit the parks more and he loves it just as much.

I've been on a cruise pre-kid and I've done the parks both without and with a kid. Unless kids are potty trained, I wouldn't do a cruise.

We have a cruise tentatively on the books for 2022 when my kid will be about 6. it also depends on how she handles rides next year. if she HATES rides, I'd rather spend the money on a cruise where I can still get characters.

I'd pick resort + parks. There's more for them to see and do and run around. If they get cranky or overwhelmed, the resorts are calm and a great "base" to take a break, especially when it's hot out.

As I'm sure you know, toddlers can have move swings more dramatic than teenagers so having options on where to take them seems like a better plan, IMO. Plus more food options.

Signed, mom of 2 toddlers

We haven't been on a Disney Cruise, but we did take our 4 and 2 year olds to the parks last May. I'll speak to our experience with the 2-year-old since that's the age range you're asking about.

The 2yo loved so many aspects of the parks! Seeing the animals in AK was a favorite, as were splash pads throughout the parks and the various dance parties. She enjoyed all the rides she was tall enough to go on, including Barnstormer. We didn't keep her up late enough to see any of the nighttime shows, so no input there.

We did have to either take a break in the afternoon or let her take a stroller nap, which was to be expected. It was a good chance for everyone to feel refreshed!

I think the resort you choose makes a big difference at that age, too. We stayed at Caribbean Beach, and the pool was a BIG hit. They have a toddler pool reserved for little ones that was so fantastic. Both kids loved it and I liked that I could just wade in with them while they splashed around. CBR also has a shady playground the kids enjoyed.

Personally, I'd go with parks + resort. I went on a non-Disney cruise as a teenager, and even I got antsy to get off the boat! Motion sickness can also be a concern. I've never had issues with motion sickness on cars or rides, but I did get vertigo and headaches on the cruise ship. It would be awful to have a sick toddler on your hands on a cruise!

Another vote for the parks! We took our oldest on a cruise when he was 2 1/2. We decided not to do another cruise until our youngest is older. I felt like it was hard because there wasn't a lot of free space - either for them to run around or take a break from crowds. He did love the Nemo splash area on the cruise ship, but that was the main highligh. We take our kids to Disney at least once a year. Yes, with a toddler you need to have different expectations. Enjoy the resort pool, take more breaks, explore the areas they can run around, hit the less popular lines with lower crowds. The park have so many more options than a cruise at that age. Also, there aren't many excursions you can do minus beach days - and then you still have the hassle of packing everything up for the beach.

Another vote for the parks. I have taken DS when he was 2 on both a DCL cruise and WDW. The parks was WAY easier. We love DCL but he was a water bug the wasn’t allowed in the pool because he was too inconsistent with potty training that I didn’t want to chance it (and it was the Wonder pre splash pad, there was a tiny water splash area that left much to be desired) too young for kids clubs and nursery can get expensive IF they will stay (mine wouldn’t) dinner is also very long and even though CMs try to keep them entertained, it’s still hard. I also found my LO tired easily on the cruise. The parks were great. We aren’t commandos though and like our resort time in the afternoon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter