Family trip - for 26 during Christmas Week!

Betty X

Mouseketeer
A friend of mine is going to WDW with her family (age range from 2-72 or so). She has never been and neither has anyone in her family. They are all Canadian.

They would like to rent a house (or two?) close to Disney. They are going on a cruise (I don't think it's a Disney Cruise) for 4 days and at Disney for 3 days during the week between Christmas and New Year's 2005.

Where do they start and what should they do?

Any words of advice?

My husband and I have been going every year since 1999 (without children). This has me stumped because I consider myself a pro at Disney but I just can't come up with any really good advice for her!

Please help!

::MickeyMo :wizard:

Coordinating a trip for 26 people for Christmas week...patience, patience, patience. I don't really have any advice except for have a lot of patience and have a lot of flexibility, but I know there was a thread in the past month where someone pulled a big trip like this off. I am sure she will post with some great advice.

You could have them try AllStarVacationHomes.com. Also try the Orlando Hotels Discussion boards. THe posters on that board usually stay off-site and are familiar with AllSTar Vacation Homes.

Did you mean to post this on the DVC community boards? You might get more answers if you put them on the regular DIS community boards. We are well versed in DVC, but for rentals outside of WDW/DVC I think you'd get more advice on the other board.

We had a party of 12 on our recent trip and my recommendation is not to tour the parks as a group. It's nice to spend time together as family but moving 26 people in the same direction will be a chore.
Just split up and agree to meet from time to time. Use cell phones or two way radios to keep in contact.

tamu91 said:
We had a party of 12 on our recent trip and my recommendation is not to tour the parks as a group. It's nice to spend time together as family but moving 26 people in the same direction will be a chore.
Just split up and agree to meet from time to time. Use cell phones or two way radios to keep in contact.

I agree with all the previous posts. You will probibly end up spliting up as far as parks go, and possibly coming back for a dinner (although seating 23 will be a real hastle :earseek: ). If I were you, I would tell her to organize 4 different meeting points infront of the hotel (or house) for each park. This allows some type of "organization" to be instate. I would also tell her to make a ps for 12 people at 2 different resturants. This allows a little flexibility as far as meals go. I would also try making a "daily schedule" with meet times, locations. meals, etc... This will probibly be the easiest and most "flexable" way to do it. Back to the "Accomidations" problem, I would suggest either

A. Look into renting 2 or 3 4 bedroom houses in Orlando at one of those "vacation communites". Also, you might want to just get 1 house with a pool. This will allow each person a chance to swim if they want to.

B. Look into staying at one of the Marriott condo properties. If Im not mistaken, you can get a 2 bedroom villa at Grande Vista for about $150 a night, which will give you the same ammenities as a house.

Whatever you choose, patients is the key. Planning now will be the best advice I can give you. Have a good time and get planning!!

I like to use www.vrbo.com when I'm looking for homes to rent. The homes are posted by individual owners. With a group this size your friend should talk to Group Dining and check out some of the Magical Gathering Experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter