Family planning keeps getting in the way of trip planning!

Jen D

DIS Veteran
Anyone else have this problem? :) One might say I need to have my priorities straight!

We last went to the world in September 2001, with our four year old. We agreed that two years until our next visit would be appropriate- we thought the dd would enjoy it even more at age six, and two years was a respectable amount of time to wait without overdoing it financially. So I've spent the last 15 months visiting the Disboards, pining for our next trip. We also decided its time to take the plunge with another kid! I posed the question here last fall: WDW while pregnant or WDW with a young (4-5 month) infant. After getting many and varied opinions I decided I'd rather go with a baby than while pg, so this obviously delayed the trip. Well, we got pregnant last fall, and so planned our next WDW trip for Thanksgiving 2003. Well, that pregnancy wasn't meant to be, it seemed, so it was back to the drawing board with trying to get pregnant. Ironically, we never told dd I was pregnant (we were waiting until 12 week mark, and good thing because it would have been no fun explaining miscarriage to her) but we DID tell her about WDW for Thanksgiving! So she is hell-bent and excited about WDW for Thanksgiving!

But--- if I get pregnant this month (I got the go-ahead to try again immediately) I'll be due around early October-- so I think Thanksgiving trip is out of the question (I really want the baby to be at least 4 months.) So what-- Presidents Week? Wait until September 2004? Heh. I'm being funny, of course-- the issue of having a healthy conception, pregnancy and delivery is what matters, but since I am a trip planning addict, and that is my hobby and diversion from the more stressful business of pregnancy-- I wish I could control this situation! :D

I'm planning challenged too, but have 2 beautiful DD's with us, and we lost one in between. I'm sorry for your loss, I know it is difficult. My planning challenge is that every trip we have planned around the Food and Wine festival I've turned up expecting!

If I were in your shoes I would go ahead and plan for the trip. If it turns out you are expecting and can't travel at the time you'll have plenty of advance notice to reschedule your trip for a window you are comfortable with. When we lost the baby we also were quickly given a go ahead to try again but it was about 5 months or so before we were successful. So of course, we had our trip planned for the Festival and once again, no sampling for me!

Awwww! I'm sorry for your loss. I've m/c 3 myself and know the pain well. 4 weeks would be a bit young to take a child to WDW. OK, confession 4 weeks PP wouldn't be a good time for *me* to go to WDW! LOL!! I would wait and see how the "Baby Fairy" gifts you before making any definite plans. If you do need to postpone due to pregnancy or new baby, I think your dd will be old enough to understand and could get caught up in the excitement of baby planning with you.

Good luck!

:earsgirl:

Just don't tell her you are not going to WDW because of the new baby. Not a good way to secure a good big sister role. LOL. Best of luck with your new family member.

Jordan's mom

4 weeks would be a bit young to take a child to WDW. OK, confession 4 weeks PP wouldn't be a good time for *me* to go to WDW! LOL!!

Exactly! I don't mind hauling an infant around, but one that is still nursing every two hours and waking every three hours.. NOT!

Just don't tell her you are not going to WDW because of the new baby. Not a good way to secure a good big sister role. LOL. Best of luck with your new family member.

Point well taken, Jordans Mom.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I had a similar problem also and my only advice would be to plan as if you are NOT going to be pregnant and then be pleasantly surprised when you are! We tried for a long time and unfortunately we kept putting off plans in case we would be pg and I honestly think it made it longer for us to get pg and made each month a little difficult. As a person who likes to be in control, this is very frustrating since babies happen when they happen.

I would make the hotel ressies, but hold off on the flight tickets unless you go with Southwest so that way you won't lose any money in case you need to change your dates.

It would be hard, but I wouldn't tell DD about the trip just because it is all subject to change. Hope you get some good news on both subjects sometime soon!

Jenn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter