Family of 5 (3 kids, aged 7,8,9 -- all boys) -- where to stay in WDW?

Shyatic

Earning My Ears
Hi all, new to the boards here!

About 10 years ago my wife and I did our honeymoon in Disney at Boardwalk Villas. I loved that it was close to a lot of restaurants within Epcot and that was a great point on the trip.

Now looking to do Disney 10 years later with 3 kids -- where should I stay? I am open to pretty much anywhere, but proximity to water attractions etc might be a better selling point. The restaurants would also be good as I'm planning on doing the Deluxe Dining Plan so we have options to eat regularly.

Appreciate any thoughts on this as I'm not at all familiar any more with the resorts and it'd be great to have some insight from folks like you all.

Thanks!

I think 3 boys would love Fort Wilderness cabins. There’s a pretty wide variety of dining options although no traditional food court. Two 2-credit meals (Mickeys Backyard BBQ and Hoop de Doo) as well as the Trails End buffet

I would stay at a MK resort area. My boys favorite is the WL, but you’d have to be at the DVC area because I don’t think the lodge rooms hold 5. They also liked GF which surprised me. If you’re into Star Wars, the beach club might be fun because you can walk to HS and the pool is wonderful.

If you are budget conscious, Caribbean Beach Resort has rooms for 5 and a pirate themed pool boys would likely love. The gondola system will be opening there in the Fall too, which should make getting to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios easy. If money isn't an issue, lots of deluxe resorts sleep 5 as well, Poly, Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk. Out of your deluxe options, Beach/Yacht Club has a really awesome pool 3 boys would likely love.

Yes, planning on staying at a deluxe resort -- we don't do big vacations every year so I usually like to spend a little more to get a better experience.

Besides, it seems that the ticket prices are where the costs really are -- not as much in the hotel itself. Or am I wrong on that? Like I said -- been a while :)

It depends on a lot. If price is not an issue most of the deluxe are great. The Beach Club and that pool come to mind. If your more economically minded consider PoR. Your youngest will still fit in that trundle bed and the pool there is nice.Plus you can take the boat down to Disney Springs. The girls used to rate FQ as the coolest until I made the mistake of introducing them to deluxe life.

Yes, planning on staying at a deluxe resort -- we don't do big vacations every year so I usually like to spend a little more to get a better experience.

BC comes to mind. Your boys would love the pool and you can walk to both HS and Epcot (as I'm sure you know from staying at BW on your honeymoon). We also like walking to mini golf and renting surrey bike especially during Epcot fireworks. I suspect your boys may like sports (?) and if so, they'll love Espn Club right on the boardwalk. Plus, there are a few 2-credit dining experiences within walking distance (for your deluxe plan). Many people complain about the BC pool being too spread out with young kids, and being that I'm not sure how your family dynamic is, it's hard to say how you'd feel. We only have 2 kids who never ventured far from us, so we enjoyed the BC pool immensely for many years during the ages of your boys.

My other thought is any of the 3 monorail resorts. My first thought was our friend's boys love the CR a lot due to the monorail running through it (he's 6 years old). They eat at Chef Mickeys quite a lot (so did we....), and it's so cool for kids to eat while monorail passes through. Hard to beat the walking path to MK too. We only have girls, so it's so hard for me to know what boys like, but kids in general seem to flock to Poly as well. Poly probably has more to offer in the pool/splash pad areas than the CR. We also love the GF, but more of an elegant theme and not sure how little boys would feel. It does have an awesome splash pad area!

Besides, it seems that the ticket prices are where the costs really are -- not as much in the hotel itself. Or am I wrong on that? Like I said -- been a while :)
It has been awhile lol

We stayed at the Contemporary and had an amazing vacation there. I wished I could have took all of my kids when they were little and train obsessed.

This is great -- a lot of options I can review with my wife. Also, is there an acronym dictionary for these you are all listing? I have a hard time not being a regular :)

With 3 young boys and a desire to stay deluxe, I would consider the following:

Polynesian - amazing theming, great zero entry pool and splash pad for younger children, fantastic resort activities, good restaurants, monorail access to MK, TTC (to catch the EP monorail) and restaurants at the other monorail resorts, view of the fireworks at night. If you'd like to hear a "wow!" when you pull up to the resort, Poly fits the bill.

Boardwalk Inn - great theming, jugglers, magicians and carnival games at night, good restaurants within walking distance, EP and DHS just a walk or boat away. Great pool with fast slide for younger children as, if your children are strong swimmers, you can sit on the pool deck and see them in every area of the pool including when they are waiting to go down the slide

Beach Club - fun theming, arguably the best pool on property, EP and DHS a walk or boat ride away, tons of restaurants within walking distance

If you'd like more space and your budget is on the higher side, you may also want to consider a 2-bedroom villa at Beach Club Villas (1 king bed, 2 queens, living room with full kitchen and washer/dryer) or at Copper Creek Villas at Wilderness Lodge (1 king, 2 queens, kitchen, living room, washer/dryer, amazing theming, boat to MK, good restaurants, only downside is pool is a little smaller and the slide isn't as spectacular as the ones at Beach Club, Poly and Boardwalk. If you stay at Copper Creek, consider an evening at Ft. W to see the horses, Chip and Dale's sing-a-long and, possibly, Hoop dee Doo Revue)

I would stay at Wilderness Lodge. With a family of 5 you would need to:
A) Get 2 rooms
B) Get a "Deluxe room" (has Club level privileges)
C) Stay in one of the DVC units, various set ups/costs

I thought that would be a good fit for you because you mention the desire to be near water attractions, and the Wilderness Lodge has the boat rentals AND the electrical water pageant at night.
Also I think your kids are a perfect age for the antics of Whispering Canyon Cafe.

I also have all boys (but mine are older) and they really loved our stay at Wilderness Lodge.

Treehouse Villas. Rent DVC points!

I agree with renting points from a DVC member or through Dave. You can get a great two bedroom villa at BCV or BWV. Or one of many DVC resorts at WDW.

I was planning on renting the points -- it seems that some rental store online is pretty popular and might be the easiest way to go. I am sure I can use the boards to find somebody to do it slightly cheaper but since I'm trying to book for late July or early August, that might be pushing my luck :)

With 3 young boys and a desire to stay deluxe, I would consider the following:

Polynesian - amazing theming, great zero entry pool and splash pad for younger children, fantastic resort activities, good restaurants, monorail access to MK, TTC (to catch the EP monorail) and restaurants at the other monorail resorts, view of the fireworks at night. If you'd like to hear a "wow!" when you pull up to the resort, Poly fits the bill.

Boardwalk Inn - great theming, jugglers, magicians and carnival games at night, good restaurants within walking distance, EP and DHS just a walk or boat away. Great pool with fast slide for younger children as, if your children are strong swimmers, you can sit on the pool deck and see them in every area of the pool including when they are waiting to go down the slide

Beach Club - fun theming, arguably the best pool on property, EP and DHS a walk or boat ride away, tons of restaurants within walking distance

If you'd like more space and your budget is on the higher side, you may also want to consider a 2-bedroom villa at Beach Club Villas (1 king bed, 2 queens, living room with full kitchen and washer/dryer) or at Copper Creek Villas at Wilderness Lodge (1 king, 2 queens, kitchen, living room, washer/dryer, amazing theming, boat to MK, good restaurants, only downside is pool is a little smaller and the slide isn't as spectacular as the ones at Beach Club, Poly and Boardwalk. If you stay at Copper Creek, consider an evening at Ft. W to see the horses, Chip and Dale's sing-a-long and, possibly, Hoop dee Doo Revue)
This is super helpful -- I think the properties that I want to use are probably going to be the ones that are the easiest to get *back* to in the evenings. We will be spending the majority of our time at the parks during the day so I want to make sure that we save time on the commuting to-from each park. Any thoughts?

If you are going to be on the deluxe dining plan, I would definitely stay at a deluxe resort where it will be convenient to use your credits at signature restaurants. ALL of the Disney resorts are kid friendly. We personally love the Grand Floridian. The dining options onsite are really good and you also have easy access to the other resorts on the monorail. I think any resort on the monorail would work: GF, Contemporary, or the Polynesian. Most of the deluxe resorts fit 5 but if you are considering a DVC villa, that gives you more options. AKL is another favorite of mine, but right now I am dealing with a double stroller so I appreciate the convenience of the monorail. Your boys are older so you that is less of an issue. Yacht Club and Beach Club are also great options. The pool is terrific and your kids are old enough to probably be swimming confidently. The pool there, Stormalong Bay, is a little trickier with very young kids. Boardwalk is another option; you've been there. The Art of Animation hotel has ADORABLE Cars themed suites and a whole Cars area of the resort, but there is no table service on site, which would be a drawback for you on the Deluxe dining plan. Really you can't go wrong anywhere. I would pick either the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Yacht & Beach, or the Boardwalk. These resorts are the most convenient to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter