Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust - That's What Solo Trips Are Made Of - Update 7/21 P17

TarzansKat

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.
Hello, lovely DISers!

I debated whether or not to do this, since my trip isn't that far away, but oddly enough it's not the shortest amount of time I've ever planned one in. That honor goes to an impromptu girls trip with my mother, which we planned in 19 days. That trip was actually my last with her, as she passed unexpectedly the same year, about two years ago.

A lot of my Disney trips since then have been colored by her passing. Disney was something we shared...something she gave me. The first time I was there, apparently, was in the womb! :lmao: So she started me off right. ;)

For a while now, I've had a hankering to do a solo trip. I've taken some wonderful family vacations to the World, and some wonderful girls only trips to the World, but I'd been feeling the urge to, as Crush would put it, "fly solo."

So you all get the benefit of my random musings in regard to going to Disney World alone.

By myself.

Without husband or children for four blissful days.

Don't get me wrong.

I LOVE my family. But I'm loving the idea of some me time. And what better place to have some me time than my happy place?

I'm sure it'll be hard, but it'll also be really, really wonderful. And as a wise friend recently pointed out to me, I'll never know unless I try. :goodvibes

So for those of you who know me, hi, old friends!

Not that you're old. Nor am I. We've just known each other a while.

You get the idea. :lmao:

For those of you who don't know me, hi!

I'm TarzansKat, or TK, or Kat. I've been going to Walt Disney World (with the occasional Disneyland trip thrown in) for a long time now, and it's my happy place. That pretty much sums that up. I love Jack Sparrow, Jack Skellington...I think I like characters named Jack. Also characters that have dreads, because I love Tarzan.

At any rate, I'm a big Disney fan. And my sweet boys, Nemo and Squirt, are apples that don't fall too far from the tree, if you get my drift. Nemo is seven and will be heading into second grade in less than a week. Squirt is two and is fully using everything at his disposal to prove he's really a toddler. They're both awesome boys, and I love them so much.

When my mother passed, I decided to become a stay at home mom. Life just seemed too short to not spend it with my boys. I am really happy with my decision.

My husband is awesome. Honestly. He's my own personal Jack Sparrow, and I adore him. He's more of a Batman, DC Comics guy, but he loves Disney just as much as we do.

We love taking the boys there and having our family adventures, believe me. And I am sad to leave them at home, but I am excited for the alone time. Because staying at home, while rewarding, can be exhausting. And a little me time...well, it's just what the doctor ordered. :goodvibes

Since this solo trip...and really any of my Disney trips...tend to be born of the, hey there's a discount on the wdw website variety...this trip is no different.

Once I got the notion in my head that perhaps I'd like to go to Disney World alone, the question became, is there a discount that means I can go now?

In the fall, which is my favorite season and time of year at Disney. I love the decorations. I love MNSSHP. I am an October baby and every year for my birthday (even into college) we would pick and paint pumpkins with my friends.

I perused the room only discount that spanned August and September and found a weekend in which everything seemed to come together beautifully. I could arrive on a Thursday, leave on a Sunday, and have awesome flight times, giving me four full days at Disney.

But which resort to stay in?

Given that it was a solo, I wanted to be conservative, but I'll tell you right now, I'm one of those people.

You know, the people who obsess ever so slightly about the resort they're staying in?

Honestly, I believe that the place you hang your hat and lay your lovely head to sleep at night really colors the rest of your trip. Every resort has a different feel. Never mind the theming and dining and other things that make a resort what it is, there's a feeling in the air.

And although I love values with the kids, they're not the feeling I wanted on this trip. I wanted to love the value price, but honestly, when I priced it out, because of the sliding scale of the discount, a moderate wasn't much more.

And given my penchant for everything pirate, and the way I fell in love with this particular mod since I stayed there the first time a few years ago, it wasn't hard to make the choice.

To decide that instead of morning coffee walks that I read about so much on the DIS, I'd be taking romantic, evening Pina CoLava walks.

To decide that if I didn't want to spend a lot of time during my down time in the parks, that this is the resort where I could stick my toes in the sand...lay in a hammock and read...watch the world go by.

So this really started how all trips start.

Well, I'll just book a room. I can always cancel a room only reservation. It's just one night's deposit.

One night's deposit here...

WDWMay09-0602.jpg

at Caribbean Beach.

Well, we all know how that goes. You book a room and then you really look at airfare. And I've got points. So airfare is "free."

Well, if airfare is free, and the room is only that much, I mean, really, I'm just one person. It won't be too pricey to just go for four days, right? ;)

:lmao::):rotfl:

Several conversations with my husband, whom I refer to as MJS (My Jack Sparrow), later, and it was decided.

I lined up my father to watch the kids one day, my mother in law is hoping to help us with the other, and MJS is on deck for the weekend.

And that, dear DIS friends, is how my solo trip was born. :thumbsup2

Wow, I can't believe I made it in on the ground floor this time!! :cool1:

Can't wait to read what you have so far. By the way, I'm Camille. :goodvibes

Sounds like a good trip is in the making!! I love the idea of a solo trip, you only live once=YOLO, right?!?

I just came off of a weeks time to myself while my husband, and daughter were in Calif. visiting his family. :cloud9:

It was sheer heaven. After the summer I had with my oldest coming home from college (left right before my husband went out to Calif. to meet up with our daughter) and acting as though I was as dumb as box of rocks, not to mention putting up with is moods....I was more than ready to be by myself. Hubby and daughter just came home lastnight so my solitude is now by the way side. :laughing:

I've thought about doing Disney solo, not sure I could swing it, but maybe! :laughing:

You little sneak; I just saw your message to me on FB that you started this. :rotfl2::rotfl2: Now off to read and I'll be back. :goodvibes

Sounds like a good trip is in the making!! I love the idea of a solo trip, you only live once=YOLO, right?!?

Dude. Exactly!

I just came off of a weeks time to myself while my husband, and daughter were in Calif. visiting his family. :cloud9:

It was sheer heaven.

Oh, I hear you, believe me. It's nice to feel supported in my desire for some alone time. :goodvibes

You little sneak; I just saw your message to me on FB that you started this. :rotfl2::rotfl2: Now off to read and I'll be back. :goodvibes

Ha ha! A little sneak attack pre trip report action for you. :rotfl2:

I wondered where you were! I was shocked you weren't the first one to be here, you almost were, and technically should be first since I really just stumbled across this as I got on. :goodvibes :laughing:

Ha ha! A little sneak attack pre trip report action for you. :rotfl2:

All caught up. I, for one, am so glad you decided to go ahead with this solo trip. I find that no matter how much we love our children, a little break revigorates us.

I wondered where you were! I was shocked you weren't the first one to be here, you almost were, and technically should be first since I really just stumbled across this as I got on. :goodvibes :laughing:

Had I known Kat was doing this, I would have been here first. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

All caught up. I, for one, am so glad you decided to go ahead with this solo trip. I find that no matter how much we love our children, a little break revigorates us.

Thank you. I'm really glad too. And even though I know I'll miss my mother especially, I feel like I'm taking her with me, if that makes sense.

Had I known Kat was doing this, I would have been here first. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Kat really didn't make the command decision to do this until today. :rotfl2:

Thank you. I'm really glad too. And even though I know I'll miss my mother especially, I feel like I'm taking her with me, if that makes sense.

Kat really didn't make the command decision to do this until today. :rotfl2:

Kat, it was very hard when we went to Disney a week after my Dad passed. I shed a few tears walking into Epcot and then totally lost it and sobbed uncontrollably when we got on Spaceship Earth because that was "Grandpa's Ball" as the kids called it because it was my Dad's favorite ride. It did get easier as the week passed, and now I just get misty-eyed when I give out that balloon.

Kat, it was very hard when we went to Disney a week after my Dad passed. I shed a few tears walking into Epcot and then totally lost it and sobbed uncontrollably when we got on Spaceship Earth because that was "Grandpa's Ball" as the kids called it because it was my Dad's favorite ride. It did get easier as the week passed, and now I just get misty-eyed when I give out that balloon.

I think it's wonderful that you give out the balloon. I have been trying to think of something like that to honor my mother, and nothing has felt right just yet. I know it will come to me. :goodvibes

There's been a couple of times in the parks that I've gotten choked up without her. The first was really when we walked into the Magic Kingdom on our first family trip without her, and it, much like the rest of the world (and World) was still there! Going on, without her! Even though I knew that, it was still hard to wrap my brain around.

I'm here!!! I am so with you on needing some alone time! I haven't had a minute to myself in about 3 weeks so I am jealous of you. :goodvibes

So for those of you who know me, hi, old friends!

Not that you're old. Nor am I. We've just known each other a while.

Well, that is up for debate....:rolleyes1

You know, I was all ok with the "I'm not going to WDW anytime soon" deal until this. I wanna book a solo!! :badpc: &*@##$ computers......

:rotfl:

No, really, I'm SO happy you finally have this chance. I've had mine. It was MA.GI.CAL!!! And I'll be on board the whole way, living vicariously. :goodvibes

I'm here!!! I am so with you on needing some alone time! I haven't had a minute to myself in about 3 weeks so I am jealous of you. :goodvibes

:welcome:

Happy to have you here! And I hear you on the alone time. Something I think every mother can identify with. :goodvibes

Well, that is up for debate....:rolleyes1

Lookie here, missie. We are NOT old.

We are timeless.

:::ahem:::

You know, I was all ok with the "I'm not going to WDW anytime soon" deal until this. I wanna book a solo!! :badpc: &*@##$ computers......

:rotfl:

No, really, I'm SO happy you finally have this chance. I've had mine. It was MA.GI.CAL!!! And I'll be on board the whole way, living vicariously. :goodvibes

Aw! I know how you feel. Because it's that feeling resulted in this trip.

Live vicariously away.

And :welcome:

I have a VIP account with Zappos.

I'm just sayin'. I order something, and it's here the next business day.

Let's not talk about the number of boxes that have arrived at my house this week. Five.

Or the number of boxes due to arrive today. Three.

Let's instead focus on the simple fact that all the boxes, so far, have gone straight back.

I have a really hard time finding a good touring shoe. I'm a flip flop girl, and it's hard to deviate from that path, but I need a flip flop with really good support. I'm currently wearing some Teva Katavis, but they've been my go to flip all summer and they're pretty much shot. I injured my knee running, so I can't mess around with supportive footwear. It has to work, or I'm going to be in pain.

Pain with park touring = no fun on Disney vacation. ::yes::

In all reality, I probably should just order the same pair of Tevas over again. But while good, these don't offer the level of arch support I really need.

And it's never that simple. I get bored. Want something different. Something, even, dare I say...pretty? Or at least cute. Or some derivative thereof.

So I've tried Crocs, Tevas, Merrells. I've got another set of Merrells, Keens, and Montrails coming today.

Could we send up a little pray to the shoe gods?

:worship::worship::worship:

Please...almighty gods of fashionable / comfortable footwear...allow me to find something that will astonish me with how great my feet feel after walking in the parks all day while also conveying to the world (and World) that I have some sense of fashion.

:goodvibes

KAT!!! I'm so glad to see you back on the DIS, I've missed you! Your solo trip sounds fantastic! :banana:

Ugh I feel your pain about trying to find comfy shoes for the parks...I usually use Crocs, but lately I've been feeling like they're not good enough either. If you find something good let me know! :laughing:

I can't help you on the shoes...I'm not a big shoe person. If we are splitting our days up with some rest, I wear my Nike cushion flip flops in the morning and my Skecher gym shoes in the afternoon/evening. If we aren't breaking up the day, it's my Skecher's all the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter