Face shield in lieu of mask?

Aishaahm

Mouseketeer
Those of you who have been... is Universal accepting the clear plastic face shield as an approved “face covering”? I saw a few youtubers mention they had seen park-goers with just the fully covering face shield but I wanted to see if anyone else can confirm this. I think we may rather use the full face shield connected to a headband/hat but didn’t want to run into any issues. I appreciate any insight!

Just posting what I've read from All Ears.net dated June 3-5, 2020

We Went to Universal Orlando for Their Passholder Preview — Here’s What It Was Like! Link

FACE COVERINGS
Another requirement for entry is a face covering, which is required for all guests two and up. These must be worn at all times, including on the rides.

We Lost Our Mask at Universal Orlando! Here’s What Happened Next! Link
Jurassic Park River Adventure
Guests are allowed to take off their masks for the duration of the ride after they are seated in the boats.

I think what might be confusing is the language face mask vs face coverings but these are masks.

USO did make Face Shields for Healthcare Workers

Those of you who have been... is Universal accepting the clear plastic face shield as an approved “face covering”? I saw a few youtubers mention they had seen park-goers with just the fully covering face shield but I wanted to see if anyone else can confirm this. I think we may rather use the full face shield connected to a headband/hat but didn’t want to run into any issues. I appreciate any insight!
I can't speak to whether a face shield is permissible at Universal. But I know it would not be at Disney. Disney has released guidance about what an acceptable face covering is, and it specifies it must fit snugly against the side of your face and be secured with ties or ear loops. By Disney's guidance, not even neck gaiters are permitted. I'm not sure if Universal will have looser restrictions, but I'd be prepared for them to follow suit.

There was a temperature checker at RPH today who had a face shield AND a mask... that’s the only face shield I have seen.

the face shield is to protect you from other people but it will not do anything to protect others from you. I dont believe they are interchangable

Thanks everyone for your responses! For context I work in healthcare and understand the difference between masks and face shields. I was more referencing Universal’s “face covering” wording and only because a few bloggers mentioned seeing park-goers with the longer (down to the sternum) clear face shields attached to hats instead of the face masks. I understand the non-medical facesmasks are recommended to help minimize the dispersion of particles when a person wearing one sneezes, some of the clear face masks seen work much like a sneezegaurd. Just as a mask does not completely protect from all particles being dispersed during a sneeze or cough, nor would a face shield, they are just more tolerable to wear. Truthfully the only protective masks are the N95. Parks are not recommending masks to completely prevent acquiring COVID-19, but to help prevent asymptomatic transmission of COVID-19 by minimizing transmission risks by potentially asymptomatic carrier. A full face shield does have the chance to minimize dispersion of cough/sneezes....research supports the efficacyof both.

but to help prevent asymptomatic transmission of COVID-19 by minimizing transmission risks by potentially asymptomatic carrier. A full face shield does have the chance to minimize dispersion of cough/sneezes....research supports the efficacyof both.
Of course the WHO now says (Yesterday) that this is "Very Rare" - fair enough - we are all learning here so they made the best call at the time with the info they had. I'm sure there will be another study next week to reverse that.

Of course the WHO now says (Yesterday) that this is "Very Rare" - fair enough - we are all learning here so they made the best call at the time with the info they had. I'm sure there will be another study next week to reverse that.

It got walked back the next day, lol. So which is true? I bet on the data that was presented and not the walk back, but what can you do?

Face shields are more than welcome, watched a video last night and he was wearing a face shield covering.

It got walked back the next day, lol. So which is true? I bet on the data that was presented and not the walk back, but what can you do?
I'd agree

Face shields are more than welcome, watched a video last night and he was wearing a face shield covering.
Seen mixed reports on this so YMMV. You are meant to still wear a mask with the face shield from what I've seen.
One vlogger did a full video on masks and said that he saw someone spoken to to put on a mask with the shield.

Ive seen a several people complaining that people were not wearing the masks properly and that people were walking around with drinks with the mask pulled down.
Not sure I fully believe a lot of it - especially when the vlogger is a Disney Fanboy who rarely if ever reported on Universal before.

IMO this is going to be a mess until the masks are optional

I'd agree

Seen mixed reports on this so YMMV. You are meant to still wear a mask with the face shield from what I've seen.
One vlogger did a full video on masks and said that he saw someone spoken to to put on a mask with the shield.

Ive seen a several people complaining that people were not wearing the masks properly and that people were walking around with drinks with the mask pulled down.
Not sure I fully believe a lot of it - especially when the vlogger is a Disney Fanboy who rarely if ever reported on Universal before.

IMO this is going to be a mess until the masks are optional
I agree. This whole mask thing doesn't make sense to me. If you're allowed to remove them when eating or drinking, and there are "mask free zones" in the parks where you don't have to wear them...then what is the point? Aren't all the people congregating in the mask-free zones sharing supposed germs?

Back today for some first-hand reporting. Yes, masks are required to to fit snuggly over the nose and mouth. I didn’t see many face shield worn by guests (some employees has them on with masks as well). There wasn’t any “congregating” in rest areas, in fact there were rarely more than a family or two in the u-rest areas when we were present. Also, I did not see much walking/eating. Most people were respectful enough to move off the bench/table. There was a time or two that people had melting ice cream in line and I saw them working on their cones (which made sense). The social distancing markers in many cases were more than 6 feet. Other than moving about the park, most people were great about sticking to the “please stand here” markers on the ground and universal employees were very verbal about the need to keep masks on at all times. Most if not all rides required you to take a pump of hand sanitizer before entering or just before riding a ride. Refillable mugs were only used at self-serve stations otherwise refills were given in disposable cups instead. TBH we had a great experience inside both parks! Crowds were mainly low and we were able to experience everything we had hoped to. Occasionally rides went down and it was clear (though not indicated) that it was for deep clean purposes. Kudos to Universal! We had a great experience here and at Loew’s Royal Pacific. We will be back soon!

Back today for some first-hand reporting. Yes, masks are required to to fit snuggly over the nose and mouth. I didn’t see many face shield worn by guests (some employees has them on with masks as well). There wasn’t any “congregating” in rest areas, in fact there were rarely more than a family or two in the u-rest areas when we were present. Also, I did not see much walking/eating. Most people were respectful enough to move off the bench/table. There was a time or two that people had melting ice cream in line and I saw them working on their cones (which made sense). The social distancing markers in many cases were more than 6 feet. Other than moving about the park, most people were great about sticking to the “please stand here” markers on the ground and universal employees were very verbal about the need to keep masks on at all times. Most if not all rides required you to take a pump of hand sanitizer before entering or just before riding a ride. Refillable mugs were only used at self-serve stations otherwise refills were given in disposable cups instead. TBH we had a great experience inside both parks! Crowds were mainly low and we were able to experience everything we had hoped to. Occasionally rides went down and it was clear (though not indicated) that it was for deep clean purposes. Kudos to Universal! We had a great experience here and at Loew’s Royal Pacific. We will be back soon!

Glad to hear you had such a wonderful experience in the parks and at RPR too......amazing resort!

And thank you for the detailed review of your time there......

I agree. This whole mask thing doesn't make sense to me. If you're allowed to remove them when eating or drinking, and there are "mask free zones" in the parks where you don't have to wear them...then what is the point? Aren't all the people congregating in the mask-free zones sharing supposed germs?
Smoke and mirrors.

I don't know how effective it is, but I assume the thinking is that the mask free zones allow social distancing while the masks are removed that can't be easily done while doing normal amusement park activities.

Thanks for this report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!