Face mask policy & children with autism

My son (5 years old) doesn’t have the mental capacity right now to understand the “why” behind mask-wearing. So what I have been doing at home is taking something he really loves, free time on his iPad, and incentivizing him to wear the mask in order to get that time. It was a rocky start, but I’ve now got him wearing the mask, albeit under his chin, for 30 minutes while he plays with the iPad. My next step will be to move the mask onto his mouth, and then his nose. If he takes it off, I immediately take his iPad away and ask him to keep it on, so he’s been pretty compliant.

Of course, this is sitting down in our air-conditioned home. Fortunately, they aren’t required at his private school that he returned to a few weeks ago, and we aren’t planning a Disney vacation until 2021.

I really hope they include gaiters in this mask policy. It has been the only mask we have been able to get my 11 year old to wear. They seem more secure than most cloth masks I've seen.

... I wouldn't count on relaxations zones - you'd probably end up having to wait in a queue just to access it. Assuming it is outside, where they've partitioned off socially distanced squares, not sure where they are even going to locate them. I don't think they can be considered "areas nearby" - unless they are going to use the old smoking areas? But they were small, so there will be lines for them.
Since WDW hasn't even given any details yet about these zones, I think it is a bit early to start judging, being negative, and writing them off -- when no one has even seen them! Give Disney a chance to make this positive effort and to try to work with guests. They've proven in the past that they want to work with guests with disabilities, not against them. It's too early to judge this when no one can possibly know what the zones are or how they will work.

Last edited:

for those that have problems breathing through a mask I find having a small fan at my face helps me a lot, I have one of neck fans that really does help me a lot. I do not know if this would help anyone on the ASD but for someone with concerns with the heat in Fl this might help.

Since WDW hasn't even given any details yet about these zones, I think it is a bit early to start judging, being negative, and writing them off -- when no one has even seen them! Give Disney a chance to make this positive effort and to try to work with guests. They've proven in the past that they want to work with guests with disabilities, not against them. It's too early to judge this when no one can possibly know what the zones are or how they will work.

Knowing the parks well, and having checked it out on Google Maps, I see no open area in any of the parks to have adequate respite zones. If they have them inside, they'd better have good ventilation.

There is no way my daughter with severe autism and intellectual disability is going to tolerate a mask. We have been working with her since she was 2 years old just to keep on gloves or mittens, hats etc. during the winter. We still haven't won that battle and she is 17 years old. I don't want to spend vacation struggling with her and a mask. We were booked for May (this week actually) but changed to September. Made a backup reservation for November but I think at this point masks will still be required then as well. Next dates to try are in January. Our SWA credit will expire in early March.

There is no way my daughter with severe autism and intellectual disability is going to tolerate a mask. We have been working with her since she was 2 years old just to keep on gloves or mittens, hats etc. during the winter. We still haven't won that battle and she is 17 years old.
I'm in a similar situation- we have to duct tape my kid's coat sleeves closed in the winter to avoid frostbite. (Shes 7 and severely autistic). I think Disney is going to work with families like ours We have Sept booked and I'm not going to worry yet :).
Someone a few posts back wrote about being autistic themselves and knowing its possible to teach a person with autism to wear a mask. I want to ask that all remember, some people with autism have no grasp of time or place, little understanding of consequence, don't eat or drink, use diapers forever and are generally far, far less functional than many others with autism. It really is a broad spectrum.

I'm autistic and I work with lots of kids with autism. Another thing to consider is that a lot of autistic children require aides at school that work closely with them. To protect these aides, it's important to help kids learn to tolerate masks and masks will be at most schools this year. ADA does not apply to things that are for public safety. I've found some really sensory friendly cloth masks a friend is making me. It's been totally fine. Just takes some getting used to. Sensory needs for people with autism vary, but we have all learned to tolerate pants, shirts, and at least some underclothes. Masks are new and different, and it will take time to adjust. We need to be gentle and sensitive to sensory needs as we approach this. Try lots of different types of masks. Some tie, some have elastic, they have different materials, etc. Florida heat would make this harder for people like me who are already heat intolerant and bothered by the feeling of just sweat. So to protect all of you wonderful people, since I really do not want to wear a mask in florida heat, I'll stay home until the fireworks come back. Winter would be fine for a mask and i totally may do it.

Also, if your autistic child wears noise cancelling headphones in the park, practice wearing these with a mask before you go. It feels different! I do mask, then headphones. Also, an adult masks might be able to go over child sized headphones instead of ears. Still does the job and elastic does not touch ear!

Be creative and we can help people with autism be safe and accommodate sensory needs. Just like you can't forego pants in the park due to sensory needs and parents have to find what works. Same thing here. Short practice sessions, trying lots of different things, and listen to the autistic person about what they prefer will be key.

Thank you for your insightful perspective!

Just to think about - if masks are an issue for some, can they handle the other restrictions as well, even if they are allowed to go maskless? For example, can they stay 6 feet away in a queue? Are they good at keeping hands away from the face or off all the ropes and other things that are frequently touched?

for those that have problems breathing through a mask I find having a small fan at my face helps me a lot, I have one of neck fans that really does help me a lot. I do not know if this would help anyone on the ASD but for someone with concerns with the heat in Fl this might help.

It may keep you a little cooler but defeats part of the purpose of having the mask on by blowing what comes through your mask around.

Just to think about - if masks are an issue for some, can they handle the other restrictions as well, even if they are allowed to go maskless? For example, can they stay 6 feet away in a queue? Are they good at keeping hands away from the face or off all the ropes and other things that are frequently touched?
There are plenty of non disabled persons of all ages, including adults, who can’t or more likely WON’T handle the restrictions either. And some of the “masks” people are wearing are probably about as effective as taping a thin Kleenex to your face. For now, we are postponing our vacation until it is safer to ease up on certain restrictions (masks). I’m wearing one daily at work and my nose gets dry and bleeds and I’ve had to start using asthma meds again. It just wouldn’t feel like vacation wearing one myself and struggling with my daughter constantly to keep one on. 6 feet apart, NOT A PROBLEM! 🙂

I sew, and I am also a Medical Professional ( retired ) I have made many masks for all sorts of people...from 1st responders, personnel at the DOC, Cancer patients, heart patients and yes, kids on the Autism spectrum ( my son, my grandson, my nephew and my 2 great nephews..) since this started and One thing is important to remember....these masks aren't to protect you FROM someone else....but to protect THEM from YOU in case YOU are asymptomatic. That being said....most ADULTS don't wear masks correctly, or touch them / adjust them constantly, use the same one over and over without washing, pull them down whilst touching the outside of the mask etc. I really don't see kids wearing these in WDW or DL, for HOURS without having a meltdown. Even ADULTS pull them off or wear them around their necks as soon as they are outside a store etc. For me and mine, we'll forgo WDW until they do away with mandatory masks. Hopefully, they will go the way of Walmart, Publix etc and if you WANT to wear a mask....you can.

I sew, and I am also a Medical Professional ( retired ) I have made many masks for all sorts of people...from 1st responders, personnel at the DOC, Cancer patients, heart patients and yes, kids on the Autism spectrum ( my son, my grandson, my nephew and my 2 great nephews..) since this started and One thing is important to remember....these masks aren't to protect you FROM someone else....but to protect THEM from YOU in case YOU are asymptomatic. That being said....most ADULTS don't wear masks correctly, or touch them / adjust them constantly, use the same one over and over without washing, pull them down whilst touching the outside of the mask etc. I really don't see kids wearing these in WDW or DL, for HOURS without having a meltdown. Even ADULTS pull them off or wear them around their necks as soon as they are outside a store etc. For me and mine, we'll forgo WDW until they do away with mandatory masks. Hopefully, they will go the way of Walmart, Publix etc and if you WANT to wear a mask....you can.

Just curious - has anyone heard how it's been going in Shanghai as far as autistic kids with masks or kids in general? Are they having a lot of problems there?

Just curious - has anyone heard how it's been going in Shanghai as far as autistic kids with masks or kids in general? Are they having a lot of problems there?
From what I have read, "' Many of the visitors over the weekend were not families with children, but young Shanghainese couples dressed up to take photos for social media. '" LATimes
Then again.......people in China ( Shanghai ) are used to following directives and wearing masks occasionally since the SARS outbreak several years ago.

Good point!

Good point!
A lot of the most severe kids/adults are in wheelchairs or strollers as wheelchairs. I really think typical kids are far more likely to be vectors than my autistic kid with cerebral palsy who's in a wheelchair 100% of the time. :) I think worrying about a handful of severely disabled or lung compromised people not wearing a mask (these people being naturally more socially distanced anyway) is really barking up the wrong tree.:)

One way that I have found positive with my own children is to trawl through Etsy and find something that they really resonate with. Making the mask like a costume or fun dress up. I know this isn't an option for some, but as my 2 are both high functioning and sensory seeking, its been a good way to get them into the groove. They see it as changing into an alter ego when they put the mask on. Besides, it allows them to feel like they can hide in plain sight so its a win-win for them!

I know that experience is not the same for most, but its something that worked for me.

By the way, while they are not necessarily the best filtrating masks, we found the children's disposable masks (Disney ones made by halyard if you can find them) were the best as they can simply be thrown away and start fresh. Having a nice crisp new one to put on helped ease some of their anxiety. YMMV

There is absolutely no way my child can/will wear a mask. He can’t even wear a hat.

We bought APs to get two trips in a year. I hope they will refund the remainder of our passes and not just the time that Disney is closed. I don’t blame them for requiring masks but they’ve made it so a portion of the population can no longer attend and it seems the right thing to do is refund the money paid since conditions have changed. I’ll be curious if anyone is able to get a refund because of these circumstances

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter