Face mask policy & children with autism

I am torn....

Disney has always been incredible with providing an experience that our now 15 yo could handle being on the spectrum. They have done so much more than I could have ever asked to make his experience be comparable to his sisters who are not and we are so grateful. He is extremely heat sensitive and the DAS saves our trips- literally. He can do early morning and late evenings...middle of the day is out of the question.

But I don't think he could deal with the facemask. But....as much as DIsney does, I don't think this is an area where they can make exceptions. We cancelled our family trip this summer partly because I knew it would not have been an enjoyable experience for him.

On the flip side, he has been doing his service hours at a local karate camp and has worn a facemask with no complaint. But an air conditioned studio is much different than Florida heat.

Wow! Your son is awesome for doing his service hours with a mask on. I struggle with wearing a mask even for just a 45 minute grocery shopping trip in the air conditioning (I leave it on the whole time, but I do find it hot and itchy after about 15 minutes). What a great kid for continuing with his volunteer work under challenging conditions :goodvibes

I am torn....

Disney has always been incredible with providing an experience that our now 15 yo could handle being on the spectrum. They have done so much more than I could have ever asked to make his experience be comparable to his sisters who are not and we are so grateful. He is extremely heat sensitive and the DAS saves our trips- literally. He can do early morning and late evenings...middle of the day is out of the question.

But I don't think he could deal with the facemask. But....as much as DIsney does, I don't think this is an area where they can make exceptions. We cancelled our family trip this summer partly because I knew it would not have been an enjoyable experience for him.

On the flip side, he has been doing his service hours at a local karate camp and has worn a facemask with no complaint. But an air conditioned studio is much different than Florida heat.

Wow! Your son is awesome for doing his service hours with a mask on. I struggle with wearing a mask even for just a 45 minute grocery shopping trip in the air conditioning (I leave it on the whole time, but I do find it hot and itchy after about 15 minutes). What a great kid for continuing with his volunteer work under challenging conditions :goodvibes

However, I DID hear that Disney will make exceptions to the policy for people unable to wear a mask for a medical reason. So, there might be an out. I have heard there may be a wristband type indicator to give to those who can't wear masks who stop by Guest Relations and explain the situation, so that they won't be targeted by the "mask police" in the parks.
I think the wristband thing is in place at City Walk (Universal). I have not heard that Disney Springs is using a wristband. There may or may not be some other process in place with Disney. I hear DS was absolutely packed yesterday with 6-hour waits to enter stores.

I believe WDW said, for now, masks had to be tied or use ear attachments. But maybe things might change.
Yes, it is interesting, both the Disney Springs requirements and the new parks information do specifically indicate a mask with ties or ear loops. However, folks have been using gaitors at DS with no issues; so how strictly the ties/ear loops thing is enforced remains to be seen.

... Yes, it is interesting, both the Disney Springs requirements and the new parks information do specifically indicate a mask with ties or ear loops. However, folks have been using gaitors at DS with no issues; so how strictly the ties/ear loops thing is enforced remains to be seen.
I wonder if the specific wording about ties and ear attachments was meant to prevent people trying to enter the parks with only face shields (or any face covering that is open on the sides and at the bottom). Masks with ties, ear attachments, or gaitors/Buffs would at least be mostly/all closed around the guest's face on the sides and along the lower jaw/chin/neck.

I think the wristband thing is in place at City Walk (Universal). I have not heard that Disney Springs is using a wristband. There may or may not be some other process in place with Disney. I hear DS was absolutely packed yesterday with 6-hour waits to enter stores.

Yes, it is interesting, both the Disney Springs requirements and the new parks information do specifically indicate a mask with ties or ear loops. However, folks have been using gaitors at DS with no issues; so how strictly the ties/ear loops thing is enforced remains to be seen.
What is a gaitor?

Awww....thank you! You made my day! He is the most challenging, frustrating, witty, sarcastic and wonderful blessing. He is required to do service hours for his high school- he is in an accelerated high school and they mandate it as part of their graduation requirements. He is required to do like 20 hours but told me yesterday he was going to work at the camp every summer so he can graduate with the highest number of service hours!

Has anyone else heard that California may make it illegal to wear a mask that utilizes an exhalation value?

The TV News says this may spread to other states

Well, that makes sense. The point of masks is to stop the spread of droplets. Basically, keep your germs to yourself. If you're wearing something with an exhalation valve, you are completely defeating the ability of a mask to contain your droplets.

I have 2 sons with autism, 14 and 16. My 14 year old CANNOT handle cloth facemasks. He had a massive meltdown on Monday after a Target run where he came with me. He was SO overwhelmed by sensory things on his face: the heat, sweat, damp hot feeling, and itchiness drove him mad.

Yesterday, I showed him a KN95 mask. He wore it for an hour and it was a totally different experience. No complaints.

I'd suggest getting LOTS of different mask types and trial them at home NOW to see how well the kids tolerate them.

We are DL locals and this son who had the hard time is DYING to get back to our regular park visits, but I already warned him that he would have to wear a mask.

However, I DID hear that Disney will make exceptions to the policy for people unable to wear a mask for a medical reason. So, there might be an out. I have heard there may be a wristband type indicator to give to those who can't wear masks who stop by Guest Relations and explain the situation, so that they won't be targeted by the "mask police" in the parks.
That was at Universal not Disney. So far Disney has made no mention of any exceptions.

Hi, ClapYourHands.

I think so, too.

Well, that makes sense. The point of masks is to stop the spread of droplets. Basically, keep your germs to yourself. If you're wearing something with an exhalation valve, you are completely defeating the ability of a mask to contain your droplets.

Hi everyone! It was great to hear that Disney plans to reopen in July. The restrictions they will implement weren’t a surprise at all. Our biggest question is whether or not there will be any exceptions to the face mask policy for ages 3 and up. My sister has 2 sons ages 10 & 12 who have autism and its doubtful they would be able to tolerate wearing a face mask all day at the parks. We’d hate to cancel our long awaited trip to Disney, but this may be a deal breaker for our family.
We really didn't want to cancel our summer WDW vacation, however, we cannot tolerate wearing masks in the summer Orlando heat and humidity, so my family will not be going until there's a vaccine and masks won't be required. I think that is the most simple solution.

Awww....thank you! You made my day! He is the most challenging, frustrating, witty, sarcastic and wonderful blessing. He is required to do service hours for his high school- he is in an accelerated high school and they mandate it as part of their graduation requirements. He is required to do like 20 hours but told me yesterday he was going to work at the camp every summer so he can graduate with the highest number of service hours!

Made my day, too.

Hi, lanejudy.

Thank you, I didn't know that.

I have 2 sons with autism, 14 and 16. My 14 year old CANNOT handle cloth facemasks. He had a massive meltdown on Monday after a Target run where he came with me. He was SO overwhelmed by sensory things on his face: the heat, sweat, damp hot feeling, and itchiness drove him mad.

Yesterday, I showed him a KN95 mask. He wore it for an hour and it was a totally different experience. No complaints.

I'd suggest getting LOTS of different mask types and trial them at home NOW to see how well the kids tolerate them.

We are DL locals and this son who had the hard time is DYING to get back to our regular park visits, but I already warned him that he would have to wear a mask.

This alarms me - if people have a medical reason why they can't wear a mask (like asthma, COPD, etc) people would actually think it's a good idea to go to Disney? Yikes!

This is from MP's Twitter page today:
@MousePlanet
Disney said at the Orange County Task Force hearing that it is looking at establishing "Relaxation Zones" on and off property to give guests an opportunity to go "mask off" for a period of time.

If this report is accurate and the "Relaxation Zones" work out as planned, that could provide much needed help and relief for those who can manage to wear masks for only short periods. Knowing that there are areas nearby where you can go to be mask-free for even a few minutes can be a stress reliever. Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing. And hopefully, Disney will continue to come up with better ideas as they continue to work with guests once the parks reopen.

I wouldn't count on relaxations zones - you'd probably end up having to wait in a queue just to access it. Assuming it is outside, where they've partitioned off socially distanced squares, not sure where they are even going to locate them. I don't think they can be considered "areas nearby" - unless they are going to use the old smoking areas? But they were small, so there will be lines for them.

This alarms me - if people have a medical reason why they can't wear a mask (like asthma, COPD, etc) people would actually think it's a good idea to go to Disney? Yikes!

I wouldn't count on relaxations zones - you'd probably end up having to wait in a queue just to access it. Assuming it is outside, where they've partitioned off socially distanced squares, not sure where they are even going to locate them. I don't think they can be considered "areas nearby" - unless they are going to use the old smoking areas? But they were small, so there will be lines for them.

"Medical" in this context includes mental health and developmental disorders as well.

I'm autistic and I work with lots of kids with autism. Another thing to consider is that a lot of autistic children require aides at school that work closely with them. To protect these aides, it's important to help kids learn to tolerate masks and masks will be at most schools this year. ADA does not apply to things that are for public safety. I've found some really sensory friendly cloth masks a friend is making me. It's been totally fine. Just takes some getting used to. Sensory needs for people with autism vary, but we have all learned to tolerate pants, shirts, and at least some underclothes. Masks are new and different, and it will take time to adjust. We need to be gentle and sensitive to sensory needs as we approach this. Try lots of different types of masks. Some tie, some have elastic, they have different materials, etc. Florida heat would make this harder for people like me who are already heat intolerant and bothered by the feeling of just sweat. So to protect all of you wonderful people, since I really do not want to wear a mask in florida heat, I'll stay home until the fireworks come back. Winter would be fine for a mask and i totally may do it.

Also, if your autistic child wears noise cancelling headphones in the park, practice wearing these with a mask before you go. It feels different! I do mask, then headphones. Also, an adult masks might be able to go over child sized headphones instead of ears. Still does the job and elastic does not touch ear!

Be creative and we can help people with autism be safe and accommodate sensory needs. Just like you can't forego pants in the park due to sensory needs and parents have to find what works. Same thing here. Short practice sessions, trying lots of different things, and listen to the autistic person about what they prefer will be key.

I have both conditions. I had trouble breathing in the mask yesteray, just going down the hall to the trash room. I'd have to be crazy to spend eight hour days on vacation in a mask! And I'm not crazy ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter