EZ Pass/Sunpass compatibility

nmrgrl55

Mouseketeer
Hi all. I remember reading last year that all systems were supposed to work together so that my EZ Pass would work in Florida, but I have seen nothing new about it. I googled it and found some articles from January but nothing new. Does anyone have an idea of when they will work together? We are going down in October and would love to just add my rental on to our account. Thanks so much.

I would not count on it happening by October. As far as I know, it is still in limbo. I know I read an article this past spring and it indicated that the study/testing is still ongoing, at least through late 2017. I wish I could remember where I read that article, but it might have been a transportation magazine that came through my office or something online.

I do not live in an area with tolls, but I travel to many places that do have them. So far, I have not invested in any transponders since I would need more than one.

I will have to look into this. It might be just what I need for personal travel.

EDIT: Looks like it is currently only used in a FL and Orange County, CA. So, not really a great help right at this time since I do not have any trips to FL where I will be driving and I do not think I will be in CA until 2019 at the earliest.

Last edited:

I live in the panhandle of FL and use SunPass/EZPass all the time. Just recently a sign went up near one of the toll booths I use showing compatibility with Georgia EZPass(or whatever it is called) and NC EZPass(or whatever it is called). However, I have only seen this sign in one direction that I travel and I was in the Orlando area over Labor Day weekend and did not see any signs there. I'm not saying it works or doesn't but I have seen the sign.

I know this doesn't answer your question but maybe it shows that FL is working on being compatible with other states.

Just recently a sign went up near one of the toll booths I use showing compatibility with Georgia EZPass(or whatever it is called) and NC EZPass(or whatever it is called).

NC Quick Pass and Georgia Peach Pass, along with the Sunpass can be used across the three states, none of these can currently be used with the EZ pass system.

As the pp stated the EZ-Pass from up in the northeast wont work down south. I had similar issue and last year finally purchased SunPass for when in Florida.
Best investment as it works great and their online system is very user friendly.

NC Quick Pass and Georgia Peach Pass, along with the Sunpass can be used across the three states, none of these can currently be used with the EZ pass system.

That's why I am seeing it around here - we have Sun Pass here in the panhandle. Thanks!

Hi all. I remember reading last year that all systems were supposed to work together so that my EZ Pass would work in Florida, but I have seen nothing new about it. I googled it and found some articles from January but nothing new. Does anyone have an idea of when they will work together? We are going down in October and would love to just add my rental on to our account. Thanks so much.

They were supposed to have it in place in January.

I gave up and ordered a sunpass online last summer, easy peasy! Keep it in folder with my park tix, have yet to forget to bring it.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems crazy to have so many different programs.

the last status report I saw about making the systems play together said the technical details of the transponders being read had been resolved. (Florida had a program a couple of years ago to swap out older models (the ones that beeped and flashed lights) for new ones that play well with others)

The PROBLEM was moving the $$ around since every state and municipality seems to have totally unique accounting systems!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter