Eye opening article about Orlando wages.

I wasn't going to say something but this is really bothering me.

"Low income" doesn't have a look - poor people are not required to look a certain way in order to "qualify" as poor.

Saying that poor people wouldn't be poor if they only didn't spend their money a certain way shows 1) an expectation that they will look a certain way, 2) an assumption that they are poor BECAUSE of spending habits (which you have no way of actually knowing) and 3) assumes that ANYTHING outside of bare existence is reserved for people with money. I will clarify this.

* Poor doesn't have a look. That person with designer label clothes may have found them at a thrift store. At a time in my life when I was VERY poor, I got really good at finding quality clothes for my family at thrift. That meant I had Victorias Secret hoodies, brand name jeans, Osh Kosh clothes on my kids....but I bought the items for a buck or two each. My friend also donated clothes when she cleaned out her closet, and she had expensive taste. Don't assume you know HOW they got what they're wearing/carrying/driving/using....you are just looking for a reason to justify your prejudice against poor people.

* Poor doesn't mean you don't have things like cell phones. A friend went through a hard time and couldn't afford her landline. Her father added a line to his cell phone account, got a phone and paid her bill so that she had a way for her kids' school to contact her and so she had a number for job interviews. You don't know how that person got what you view as a luxury, it is ENTIRELY likely that thing is NOT the reason why they are poor.

* Poor DOES NOT MEAN YOU DON"T GET TO HAVE/DO NICE THINGS. I got my hair done by a friend who was going through beautician school - she colored my hair, cut it, styled it and never charged me because I was her practice dummy. Someone on the outside might have assumed I was "wasting" money on those things, but I found a way to get them without using what little money I had. During that time, another friend bought me a gift card for Dunkin Donuts because she knew I would never spend money for myself on a treat like that. Another person gave us a gift card for a pizza place so that I could "treat" my family to takeout. Being able to do things like that made me feel human, worthy again. It was an emotional boost I desperately needed to keep pushing through. POOR PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO FEEL LIKE THEY ARE WORTH SOMETHING AND THEY ARE ALLOWED TO EXPERIENCE TREATS AND SPECIAL THINGS. Don't assume they are being frivolous and just misusing their resources and that's why they're poor. You're looking for a reason to justify your poor prejudice.

My definition of poor is:
not being happy,
you have no time for family and/or have no real friends,
you are selfish , arrogant, lazy, and put money ahead of anything. (you get the picture).

Many of us are one illness away, one accident away from being monetary poor, sometimes for the rest of your life.
So it could happen to anybody. If you are living a comfortable life just be thankful!

I wasn't going to say something but this is really bothering me.

"Low income" doesn't have a look - poor people are not required to look a certain way in order to "qualify" as poor.

Saying that poor people wouldn't be poor if they only didn't spend their money a certain way shows 1) an expectation that they will look a certain way, 2) an assumption that they are poor BECAUSE of spending habits (which you have no way of actually knowing) and 3) assumes that ANYTHING outside of bare existence is reserved for people with money. I will clarify this.

* Poor doesn't have a look. That person with designer label clothes may have found them at a thrift store. At a time in my life when I was VERY poor, I got really good at finding quality clothes for my family at thrift. That meant I had Victorias Secret hoodies, brand name jeans, Osh Kosh clothes on my kids....but I bought the items for a buck or two each. My friend also donated clothes when she cleaned out her closet, and she had expensive taste. Don't assume you know HOW they got what they're wearing/carrying/driving/using....you are just looking for a reason to justify your prejudice against poor people.

* Poor doesn't mean you don't have things like cell phones. A friend went through a hard time and couldn't afford her landline. Her father added a line to his cell phone account, got a phone and paid her bill so that she had a way for her kids' school to contact her and so she had a number for job interviews. You don't know how that person got what you view as a luxury, it is ENTIRELY likely that thing is NOT the reason why they are poor.

* Poor DOES NOT MEAN YOU DON"T GET TO HAVE/DO NICE THINGS. I got my hair done by a friend who was going through beautician school - she colored my hair, cut it, styled it and never charged me because I was her practice dummy. Someone on the outside might have assumed I was "wasting" money on those things, but I found a way to get them without using what little money I had. During that time, another friend bought me a gift card for Dunkin Donuts because she knew I would never spend money for myself on a treat like that. Another person gave us a gift card for a pizza place so that I could "treat" my family to takeout. Being able to do things like that made me feel human, worthy again. It was an emotional boost I desperately needed to keep pushing through. POOR PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO FEEL LIKE THEY ARE WORTH SOMETHING AND THEY ARE ALLOWED TO EXPERIENCE TREATS AND SPECIAL THINGS. Don't assume they are being frivolous and just misusing their resources and that's why they're poor. You're looking for a reason to justify your poor prejudice.
I would assume the PP is talking about when people actually disclose the details. I don't think anyone should really assume where anyone got anything, poor, low income, wealthy or just plain 'ole middle class (whatever that is these days). I don't think you'll find many average everyday people caring anyways. Only time I see people make any sort of comments is with the type of people who blast their business everywhere. Otherwise who actually looks at someone and says "yeah I know you're poor why you spending your money on X?"

FWIW I think people use different definitions of poor in all honesty. Some people it's they don't know where their next meal is, they are behind on some bills, they are concerned about their housing. To others it's just means whatever money they do have is tied up in bills and other things leaving them with very little for any other thing (whatever that thing may be) and to others it's that they have money but not enough money to reasonably afford more things.

For example I've known people years ago who because they never went on vacation they considered themselves poor because they lacked the funds to piece together to make an actual vacation work. But I've known someone else who placed smoking at a very high priority so what little funds they had went into that. For food it left their budget only room for fast food and the like due to cost and they were always telling us "hey my cell phone is going to be shut off just so you know in case you're trying to reach me". My own in-laws in the early days of knowing them called themselves poor (or I think it may have just been "we're really really strapped on cash) when they chose to cash in the life insurance policy they had on my husband since he was a baby for additional funds.

And then I've had as low as $16 to my name and honestly I never want to be like that again. I didn't even know if I had enough to get me out in gas to go job searching. Food and housing was taken care of (I was in college and had already paid those bills). A couple years later I borrowed money to pay rent (as I was waiting on a paycheck to come in) from my boyfriend (now husband) and ugh pride-wise it hurt asking for that but it was either that or be unable to pay because I knew my mom didn't have the $500. And then there's my mom who was constantly telling me as a kid she was going to lose the house because she couldn't afford the mortgage and while I know my mom has had her own issues she is one of those people that does think more about charging to a credit card without as much concern to adding up into that debt. Unfortunately her filing for bankruptcy years ago affected me too (student loan-wise).

IDK I guess I'm more or less saying people don't always consider poor to be of the same definition and most of us have no clue without the person disclosing what their life circumstances are what they consider poor.

I would assume the PP is talking about when people actually disclose the details. I don't think anyone should really assume where anyone got anything, poor, low income, wealthy or just plain 'ole middle class (whatever that is these days). I don't think you'll find many average everyday people caring anyways. Only time I see people make any sort of comments is with the type of people who blast their business everywhere. Otherwise who actually looks at someone and says "yeah I know you're poor why you spending your money on X?"

FWIW I think people use different definitions of poor in all honesty. Some people it's they don't know where their next meal is, they are behind on some bills, they are concerned about their housing. To others it's just means whatever money they do have is tied up in bills and other things leaving them with very little for any other thing (whatever that thing may be) and to others it's that they have money but not enough money to reasonably afford more things.

For example I've known people years ago who because they never went on vacation they considered themselves poor because they lacked the funds to piece together to make an actual vacation work. But I've known someone else who placed smoking at a very high priority so what little funds they had went into that. For food it left their budget only room for fast food and the like due to cost and they were always telling us "hey my cell phone is going to be shut off just so you know in case you're trying to reach me". My own in-laws in the early days of knowing them called themselves poor (or I think it may have just been "we're really really strapped on cash) when they chose to cash in the life insurance policy they had on my husband since he was a baby for additional funds.

And then I've had as low as $16 to my name and honestly I never want to be like that again. I didn't even know if I had enough to get me out in gas to go job searching. Food and housing was taken care of (I was in college and had already paid those bills). A couple years later I borrowed money to pay rent (as I was waiting on a paycheck to come in) from my boyfriend (now husband) and ugh pride-wise it hurt asking for that but it was either that or be unable to pay because I knew my mom didn't have the $500. And then there's my mom who was constantly telling me as a kid she was going to lose the house because she couldn't afford the mortgage and while I know my mom has had her own issues she is one of those people that does think more about charging to a credit card without as much concern to adding up into that debt. Unfortunately her filing for bankruptcy years ago affected me too (student loan-wise).

IDK I guess I'm more or less saying people don't always consider poor to be of the same definition and most of us have no clue without the person disclosing what their life circumstances are what they consider poor.

I hear you - I have unfortunately experienced shaming myself (on more than one occasion I was the target of some nasty comments when someone in line saw me use an EBT card to pay for groceries, and I've heard and called out people for making nasty comments about people ahead of me in line using an EBT card). The PP that sparked my comment had said

"When I think of the cellphone and cable bills, eating out, designer clothes & bags, massages, manicures, daily Starbucks stops, electronics etc that some seem to think are necessities and go in debt to have them, then I understand why people can't get ahead. "

There are a lot of assumptions in that statement, assumptions that I have been on the receiving end of. That's pretty much what I was addressing. To her point, I do know a lot of people who are "Cash poor" because they do make poor choices in how they use the money they make, and live well beyond their means...those aren't the people who are actually getting assistance, those are the people who complain about being "broke" but are sitting on tens of thousands of dollars in consumer debt because they live way outside their means.

Combined they make 45k a year. She makes 14 an hour so she’s making 30k a year without overtime. So her husband who works at a auto body place is only making 15 k a year. I don’t buy the story.
So she’s making more than her husband but they want to shame Disney.
Sounds like her husband should get a job at Disney then they would be making $60,000 a year so I would think that would be a "living wage". Instead of biting the hand that feeds you, how about getting another job if you are so unhappy? No one is a slave to a company, get some skills, move to another area, try another line of work, just don't sit around complaining on social media that the world owes you the salary you want to make.

Why did your classmates take those jobs?
At a glance, I'd bet the people who took jobs in resort towns were young/naive/unaware that it'd be quite expensive to live in these places.
College students who work around their class schedules, and retirees too. Let's get real, people need these jobs, and these jobs can never ever pay a living wage. Although if they stick with this career path at McDonalds, and learn management skills, they can earn a living wage.
McD's type jobs (that would also include lots of retail, etc.) can be successful in two different manners:
- They can provide you with a quick-and-easy paycheck when you're young and still in school, or they can supplement your retirement.
- Or you can look at them as a career. If you're serious about this as a lifelong career, working your way up to a manager position is a realistic goal (even for someone with just a high school diploma).
But as a prime-of-your-life, supporting a family job, you'd better not plan to stay on the cash register! It's just not good planning.
How are you going to pay for that education to become skilled when you are making so little that you can’t make basic ends meet? Take out student loans and then be saddled with insane interest rates and huge monthly payments for the rest of your life? If we expect people to educate themselves, we need to either pay them better so they can afford that education or provide the education them.
That's a fair question, and it has several inter-related answers:

- We need to get out children/students on a career path at a younger age. We as a society have accepted a philosophy that any child/student can be anything, but -- realistically -- that's not true. Few people have the makings to become doctors or engineers, yet right now in my low-level high school classes, quite a few of my students are convinced that they're headed for these careers -- in spite of their sketchy attendance and 1.8 GPAs. If we started shuffling those kids towards trades around the time they started high school, they'd be able to graduate with entry-level skills for those well-paying trade jobs.

- We need to stop telling kids that they should "Do what they love, and they'll never work a day in their lives." Few-few-few people will support themselves with music, for example. Again, we need to funnel kids towards jobs that will actually work for them.

- We offer great vocational classes in the high schools, and our low-middle income kids and middle-income kids flock to them. The lowest-of-the-low (in terms of income and grades) kids eschew these classes, saying manual labor is beneath them. What happens to these kids later? They're only qualified for walk-in-today-work-tomorrow jobs like cashier jobs, and their chance to take those vocational classes for free in high school is gone.

- Years ago kids who were unrealistic in high school ended up in factory jobs, but that's no longer a realistic option in America. We don't have a lot of manufacturing jobs anymore, and they pay very little. This option, essentially, is closed to today's youth.

- If you're out of high school and realize you have no skills, college/debt isn't your only option. Community colleges offer excellent programs for a reasonable price. A single, able-bodied person supporting only himself can pay for a community college program while working 1/2 time, and he can have that certificate/degree in 1-2 years.

- Similarly, the military can be an excellent place to gain training as a young person. Oh, they earn every penny they get, but some of the benefits are life-long. Honestly, looking back on my life, I should have gone into the military right out of high school. I didn't even consider it then, but if I could go back in time, that's the route I'd take.

- Last thought: Teenagers have always been anxious to get out of their parents' house/live on their own. But it's just not smart to rush that move; finish your education wh

- Real last thought: I say this to my students all the time -- If you "get your 20s right", the rest of your financial life is MUCH MORE likely to work out well; whereas, if you goof off, don't get that education soon, take on too much debt or the responsibility of a child too soon, you're likely to "play catch-up" for a long, long time.
The argument that the poor could indeed have a fine enough life if they just stopped buying cell phones, cable TV, entertainment, and whatever else is listed as over-the-top expenditures is coming from such a place of privilege. And it is completely stereotyping and generalizing the lower economic class in our country.
Eh, stereotypes don't come from nowhere -- though I disagree with the "fine enough life". I'd agree with "a better life".

Frequently I see my poorest students (or their families) making financial choices that don't seem to be in their best long-term interest. For example, 100% of my students have smart phones.
Another example: I'm thinking of two sisters I taught last year who missed a week of school because their family lost their apartment -- but the day they came back to school, both had new hairdos, new clothes and their nails were freshly manicured. I think people in these positions are kicked so often that they figure, "I can afford to splurge on this one thing right now, and I will enjoy this thing for the moment." Or they want it to appear that money isn't a problem, even though they're living at the homeless shelter.

I came from rural poverty, and I know what it's like to feel that you never-never-never have anything decent in your life. To be forced to buy all your clothes at Goodwill, to pretend you aren't hungry, that you aren't interested in going to prom, that you don't really want to go on that field trip. It gets really old -- but I got out of that situation because I put all my resources into education, not momentary pleasures.
There is no such thing as unskilled labor. EVERY job requires skills.
Eh, if you mean soft skills/expected of everyone skills like showing up on time, dressing appropriately, etc., yeah, everyone needs to do those things -- but they're more like common sense than skills.

Unskilled labor is something that essentially anyone (excluding the few who are mentally or physically unable) can do with a day or two of training. Running a cash register, keeping a retail store neat and tidy, janitorial work, short order cook. If you can become a functional employee within a week, it's unskilled labor.
Why is teaching a child less "valuable" than throwing a football?
Why is programming some new stupid app eons more valuable than helping the elderly dress and use the bathroom with dignity?
I am a teacher, and while it does require a certain personality type, it is something that MANY people can do -- with the college classes and training. I'd put programming in the same category: you'd have to be math-oriented to go into that field, but MANY people can learn to do it, and FEW will be supremely successful enough to develop the next big app.

Assisting the elderly is something that pretty much anyone could do -- with a day or two of training.

On the other hand, few-few-few of us could be competitive football players -- even if we had all the training in the world.

The more rare your abilities/training, the more the world pays for it. Yes, that leads to huge discrepancies.
In this case, the "American Dream" was to be able to make it into the union factory, work until your body couldn't do it anymore, save some of your earnings, retire with your pension, and feel proud that you and your spouse (also working there) had been able to support your family. No one was aspiring toward expensive fancy vacations, dream houses, flashy material goods. They just wanted to be able to work hard at their 40 hour a week job and do well for the people they loved
I do agree that "The American Dream" has grown to the point that not everyone will achieve it. A low-skilled job will never pay for trips to Hawaii or a second house at the beach; if those are your goals, you really do need more skills.
It's harsh but true. Why would people work hard to attend college (university here in England), go into debt and give up their free time for assignments and part time work to make ends meet, only to be paid the same as someone who doesn't? There has to be some recognition for qualifications and specialised skills (e.g. doctor, nurse, lawyer).
This makes perfect sense to me. When we're talking about give-more-to-everyone, it has to come from somewhere. And if everyone's going to be given more-more-more, it'll have to come from the top earners. Why, then, would people work themselves to the bone, perhaps going into debt to pay for education, and work at harder jobs -- if they aren't going to be rewarded for it?

I agree that when you're talking about the few-few-few CEOs who are receiving the 66 million dollar paychecks, it's hard to fathom, but -- in general -- people who have unique skills and who bring unusual talents to the company should expect to be paid for those talents.
The gist of the article was that even blue collar work in the future is going to require a college education. Maybe the trade schools will evolve to provide a college education so their graduates will be able to compete for manufacturing jobs.
Clarification: The article isn't saying that factories are going to hire college grads to work on conveyor belts in old-fashioned factories. It's saying that those conveyor-belt-type-jobs are disappearing; automation is replacing those workers. Factories will only need people who can build/maintain those machines, and that will require college degrees.

Don't we already see this happening? For example, you can order your food online now -- or on an ipad at Panera. Retail stores are dwindling as more people order online. No-skill jobs are decreasing rapidly.
I think minimum wages would benefit from being tied to the same type of index, because housing is the single largest expense for every working person. In my opinion, students and minor children LIVING WITH THEIR PARENTS (i.e. high school student part time jobs) should be paid a separate, different minimum wage that is more along the lines of what our current minimum wages are at.
Disagree. Say you have two people working side-by-side in a low-to-no-skills job. You want to pay one more because he's an adult/has a child and one less because he's still in high school/lives with his parents? Not many people would be pleased with that arrangement.
You do know that "burger flippers" get training and have skills too, right? It might surprise you, but fast food work is HARD. Not everyone is cut out for it.
You're confusing skilled work with hard physical work.

To give a non-burger example, digging ditches with a shovel is hard work, but the vast majority of us are capable of doing it. On the other hand, operating heavy machinery to dig a huge ditch is skilled labor, which requires training.
There's no "indignity" with sharing a house. People do it all the time! It can be an appropriate lifestyle choice. As I mentioned, my DH chose to do this to save money.
Yes. Frugal life choices can make a huge difference in your financial security, especially if you make those choices while you're still young/are building up your finances.
I think what people think is necessary to live has changed to over the past generation. When I think of the cellphone and cable bills, eating out, designer clothes & bags, massages, manicures, daily Starbucks stops, electronics etc that some seem to think are necessities and go in debt to have them, then I understand why people can't get ahead.
I definitely think we as a society have accepted a whole lot of unnecessary things as "necessary".
I both agree and disagree with your post.

You've given lots of examples of how a poor person might be able to afford this-or-that luxury, and each is true. So, yes, it's essentially impossible for us to know who's genuinely poor based upon any 30-minute snapshot of his or her life.
On the other hand, all those assumptions -- smart used-clothes shopper, gifted a pizza coupon by friends, etc. -- aren't likely to be ongoing possibilities. When we're talking about people we know well, we have a better picture of that person's life. I'm thinking about a girl with whom I used to work. She was a single mom, always short on money, constantly trying to borrow money -- yet she drove a new car, brought restaurant left-over boxes for lunch 3-4 days a week and spent more on new clothes in a typical month than I did in a year. When she moved away, she paid movers to pack her things. We earned roughly the same amount, but I feel quite sure I know why she was always broke!

At a glance, I'd bet the people who took jobs in resort towns were young/naive/unaware that it'd be quite expensive to live in these places.
McD's type jobs (that would also include lots of retail, etc.) can be successful in two different manners:
- They can provide you with a quick-and-easy paycheck when you're young and still in school, or they can supplement your retirement.
- Or you can look at them as a career. If you're serious about this as a lifelong career, working your way up to a manager position is a realistic goal (even for someone with just a high school diploma).
But as a prime-of-your-life, supporting a family job, you'd better not plan to stay on the cash register! It's just not good planning.
That's a fair question, and it has several inter-related answers:

- We need to get out children/students on a career path at a younger age. We as a society have accepted a philosophy that any child/student can be anything, but -- realistically -- that's not true. Few people have the makings to become doctors or engineers, yet right now in my low-level high school classes, quite a few of my students are convinced that they're headed for these careers -- in spite of their sketchy attendance and 1.8 GPAs. If we started shuffling those kids towards trades around the time they started high school, they'd be able to graduate with entry-level skills for those well-paying trade jobs.

- We need to stop telling kids that they should "Do what they love, and they'll never work a day in their lives." Few-few-few people will support themselves with music, for example. Again, we need to funnel kids towards jobs that will actually work for them.

- We offer great vocational classes in the high schools, and our low-middle income kids and middle-income kids flock to them. The lowest-of-the-low (in terms of income and grades) kids eschew these classes, saying manual labor is beneath them. What happens to these kids later? They're only qualified for walk-in-today-work-tomorrow jobs like cashier jobs, and their chance to take those vocational classes for free in high school is gone.

- Years ago kids who were unrealistic in high school ended up in factory jobs, but that's no longer a realistic option in America. We don't have a lot of manufacturing jobs anymore, and they pay very little. This option, essentially, is closed to today's youth.

- If you're out of high school and realize you have no skills, college/debt isn't your only option. Community colleges offer excellent programs for a reasonable price. A single, able-bodied person supporting only himself can pay for a community college program while working 1/2 time, and he can have that certificate/degree in 1-2 years.

- Similarly, the military can be an excellent place to gain training as a young person. Oh, they earn every penny they get, but some of the benefits are life-long. Honestly, looking back on my life, I should have gone into the military right out of high school. I didn't even consider it then, but if I could go back in time, that's the route I'd take.

- Last thought: Teenagers have always been anxious to get out of their parents' house/live on their own. But it's just not smart to rush that move; finish your education wh

- Real last thought: I say this to my students all the time -- If you "get your 20s right", the rest of your financial life is MUCH MORE likely to work out well; whereas, if you goof off, don't get that education soon, take on too much debt or the responsibility of a child too soon, you're likely to "play catch-up" for a long, long time.
Eh, stereotypes don't come from nowhere -- though I disagree with the "fine enough life". I'd agree with "a better life".

Frequently I see my poorest students (or their families) making financial choices that don't seem to be in their best long-term interest. For example, 100% of my students have smart phones. I'm thinking of two sisters I taught last year who missed a week of school because their family lost their apartment -- but the day they came back to school, both had new hairdos and their nails were freshly manicured. I think people in these positions are kicked so often that they figure, "I can afford to splurge on this one thing right now, and I will enjoy this thing for the moment." Or they want it to appear that money isn't a problem, even though they're living at the homeless shelter.

I came from rural poverty, and I know what it's like to feel that you never-never-never have anything decent in your life. To be forced to buy all your clothes at Goodwill, to pretend you aren't hungry, that you aren't interested in going to prom, that you don't really want to go on that field trip. It gets really old -- but I got out of that situation because I put all my resources into education, not momentary pleasures.
Eh, if you mean soft skills/expected of everyone skills like showing up on time, dressing appropriately, etc., yeah, everyone needs to do those things -- but they're more like common sense than skills.

Unskilled labor is something that essentially anyone (excluding the few who are mentally or physically unable) can do with a day or two of training. Running a cash register, keeping a retail store neat and tidy, janitorial work, short order cook. If you can become a functional employee within a week, it's unskilled labor.
I am a teacher, and while it does require a certain personality type, it is something that MANY people can do -- with the college classes and training. I'd put programming in the same category: you'd have to be math-oriented to go into that field, but MANY people can learn to do it, and FEW will be supremely successful enough to develop the next big app.

Assisting the elderly is something that pretty much anyone could do -- with a day or two of training.

On the other hand, few-few-few of us could be competitive football players -- even if we had all the training in the world.

The more rare your abilities/training, the more the world pays for it. Yes, that leads to huge discrepancies.
I do agree that "The American Dream" has grown to the point that not everyone will achieve it. A low-skilled job will never pay for trips to Hawaii or a second house at the beach; if those are your goals, you really do need more skills.
This makes perfect sense to me. When we're talking about give-more-to-everyone, it has to come from somewhere. And if everyone's going to be given more-more-more, it'll have to come from the top earners. Why, then, would people work themselves to the bone, perhaps going into debt to pay for education, and work at harder jobs -- if they aren't going to be rewarded for it?

I agree that when you're talking about the few-few-few CEOs who are receiving the 66 million dollar paychecks, it's hard to fathom, but -- in general -- people who have unique skills and who bring unusual talents to the company should expect to be paid for those talents.
Clarification: The article isn't saying that factories are going to hire college grads to work on conveyor belts in old-fashioned factories. It's saying that those conveyor-belt-type-jobs are disappearing; automation is replacing those workers. Factories will only need people who can build/maintain those machines, and that will require college degrees.

Don't we already see this happening? For example, you can order your food online now -- or on an ipad at Panera. Retail stores are dwindling as more people order online. No-skill jobs are decreasing rapidly.
Disagree. Say you have two people working side-by-side in a low-to-no-skills job. You want to pay one more because he's an adult/has a child and one less because he's still in high school/lives with his parents? Not many people would be pleased with that arrangement.
You're confusing skilled work with hard physical work.

To give a non-burger example, digging ditches with a shovel is hard work, but the vast majority of us are capable of doing it. On the other hand, operating heavy machinery to dig a huge ditch is skilled labor, which requires training.
Yes. Frugal life choices can make a huge difference in your financial security, especially if you make those choices while you're still young/are building up your finances.
I definitely think we as a society have accepted a whole lot of unnecessary things as "necessary".
I both agree and disagree with your post.

You've given lots of examples of how a poor person might be able to afford this-or-that luxury, and each is true. So, yes, it's essentially impossible for us to know who's genuinely poor based upon any 30-minute snapshot of his or her life.
On the other hand, all those assumptions -- smart used-clothes shopper, gifted a pizza coupon by friends, etc. -- aren't likely to be ongoing possibilities. When we're talking about people we know well, we have a better picture of that person's life. I'm thinking about a girl with whom I used to work. She was a single mom, always short on money, constantly trying to borrow money -- yet she drove a new car, brought restaurant left-over boxes for lunch 3-4 days a week and spent more on new clothes in a typical month than I did in a year. When she moved away, she paid movers to pack her things. We earned roughly the same amount, but I feel quite sure I know why she was always broke!
I'm not sure why you think we don't have many manufacturing jobs and they don't pay well. They tend to be more high-tech these days. And even if manufacturing employment isn't growing, we still have to replace the retiring/exiting workers. And average wages in manufacturing are almost $70k.

I'm not sure why you think we don't have many manufacturing jobs and they don't pay well. They tend to be more high-tech these days. And even if manufacturing employment isn't growing, we still have to replace the retiring/exiting workers. And average wages in manufacturing are almost $70k.

Yep, the Boeing factory workers around here do quite well. Many are $100k+.

The reality with this type of work is that the body can only handle so much. How are the workers in their 50s and 60s doing?
Usually much better than younger workers. My brother who manages a large factory said he'd much rather have one older employee than five younger ones. Most of the older workers (and I know there are exceptions) have a better work ethic, are willing to work when needed and aren't on their phones the entire shift. A lot of them are in better physical shape and are much more likely to pass a drug test.

So many people in this country claim to support small businesses yet if every job is paid $20 an hour or more, how could they survive? How could my neighbor afford to pay his pizza shop workers $20 or more an hour to make sandwiches or sweep the floor? I know friends who own a daycare center, and if they had to pay all their childcare staff $20 an hour then they would be forced to charge the families $500 a week or more to mind the kids. Most people wouldn't be able to afford to work at those rates. Sure it sounds good to say "let's pay everyone whatever they think they should be paid" but there is no way that could ever work and would only hurt those at the bottom of the income scale when their food, daycare, and everyday living expenses would double in price.

The reality with this type of work is that the body can only handle so much. How are the workers in their 50s and 60s doing?

I’m doing great. Thanks for asking.. just kidding still got one month till I’m i. My 50”s, but doing great. Never missed one day of work from being sick or injured.

Last edited:
Usually much better than younger workers. My brother who manages a large factory said he'd much rather have one older employee than five younger ones. Most of the older workers (and I know there are exceptions) have a better work ethic, are willing to work when needed and aren't on their phones the entire shift. A lot of them are in better physical shape and are much more likely to pass a drug test.
It probaby vastly depend on where you work. My sister-in-law had to deal with Union members while working for GM at the plant. I assure you her experience was the younger workforce were the hardest working people. The older members disrespected her so much because she was a female, hated listening to someone younger than them, were often lazy like none other and were still employed when they should have been fired many years ago (but with it being Union it was a lot harder even safety issues didn't mean firing).

Obviously YMMV.

I do find worth ethic to vary though I find sometimes it's just a disconnect in what one perceives as hard work. But remember a lot of youths are taught by parents a certain way just like those parents were taught by their parents. As far as cell phone usage by far it's the middle-aged people around me who can't seem to get off their phones (though of course that's just my experience).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter