Extended MLK Weekend Plan Thoughts?

Frankiemack

Mouseketeer
Hi all! I could use some feedback/ideas/thoughts on my fairly aggressive and optimistic plans for my upcoming trip. Me and my DD(10) will be visiting from Saturday, 1/19 through Thursday, 1/24 for a Daddy/Daughter birthday trip! We haven't been in nearly 5 years so there's much new for us to do and see. (7DMT was still under construction last time we visited) A few things to know -
  • Low budget trip: We're staying at All Star Music and have 4 day base tickets. (Park Days 1/20 - 1/23)
  • No meal plan - or dining reservations really - plan on doing QS all the way
Saturday, 1/19 - Arrival Day!
We are scheduled to arrive at MCO around 2:45pm. Magical Express over. The plan is Disney Springs or the Boardwalk area (or both) for Dinner and some store browsing? Plenty of dining options at both we would enjoy - we've never done the Boardwalk - would by DD10 enjoy it more than browsing Disney Springs?

Sunday, 1/20 - First Park Day - Animal Kingdom (9am to 8pm)
Our FP schedule is: Safari (9:40 - 10:40), Everest (12:35-1:35), FOP (3:40-4:40)
My plan is to Rope Drop Na'vi River Journey then head back to our Safari FP. Once done, we would hit Festival of the Lion King, It's tough to be a Bug (if there's time) then our Everest FP. After that, a quick service lunch followed by Finding Nemo, Kali River Rapids, Dinosaur. Then should be able to hit our FOP Fast pass and any other missed attractions/quick service dinner before Rivers of Light at the end of the night.

Monday, 1/21 - Epcot - Festival of the Arts (9am to 9pm)
Our FP schedule is: Frozen Ever After (12:50 - 1:50), Mission SPACE (3:40-4:40), Seas with Nemo (5:20 - 6:20)
This one is tough as I'm sure we won't make rope drop after a busy first day. Thinking we head to Test Track upon arrival then check out the lines on Mission: SPACE/Spaceship Earth in hopes of changing that FP for later. From here, we'll head towards the countries making our way to Frozen Ever After FP (where I'll try to snag a Soarin FP for later) and continue around the countries and the Gran Fiesta Tour, Festival of the Arts festivities and other events around the world. Then make it back for our afternoon with Figment, Soarin, Seas with Nemo, Turtle Talk with Crush, etc. Quick service dining all around here with FOA snacks in between. We'll definitely fit in Broadway Concert Series and Illuminations at night.

Tuesday, 1/22 - Hollywood Studios (9am to 8pm)
Our FP schedule is: SDD (1-2), Star Tours (3-4), ToT (5:25 - 6:25)
Rope drop TSM and Alien Flying Saucers. Then make our way back to try and accomplish For the First Time in Forever, Muppets and Voyage of the Little Mermaid before our SSD FP. After that, head to lunch, Indiana Jones and Star Tours followed by a walk over towards Beauty and the Beast, Tot and Rnr before Fantasmic.

Wednesday, 1/23 - Magic Kingdom (9am to 10pm (EMH)
I feel like I'm cheating saving this for the last day but was hoping for smaller crowds even with EMH.
Our FP schedule is : 7DMT (12:45 - 1:45), Buzz Light Year (3:40 - 4:40), Space Mountain (5:05 - 6:05)
Plan to arrive and immediately head left. Adventure land - try to get Jungle Cruise, Pirates, BTMR, and Splash Mountain before heading towards 7DMT FP. (Snag Haunted Mansion FP or Disney/Minnie M&G for later once here) Aggressive but hoping a slower park day will help make that possible. After 7Dmt check waits on Mermaid, Belle and head to lunch/parade route. After afternoon FP's, head towards Fantasy Land, and other missed or favorite attractions. (Including a stop for Happily Ever After)

Thursday, 1/24 - Home bound - 11:53 flight leaving Orlando

Now, I know my DD10 will get tired but she's a trooper. Even when she was 5, when I wanted a mid-day break, she was ready to go. All plans are subject to change but I'm hoping to put us in the best position to hit all of the must see's and must do's in our short amount of time.

I appreciate any thoughts or feedback from the experts here.

We go that week most years. Be prepared for cold weather ( hats, gloves) and maybe some pool time. I'll give you my input day by day. I think she would enjoy Disney Springs far more than the BW. There are sometimes jugglers,etc out on the BW at night but there is far more live entertainment not to mention shops etc. at DS. Lego store, World of Disney......so much to see eat and do if you haven't been recently.

AK day: If you are going to Rope Drop Navi you will probably be let in 15 minutes before official park opening. Everyone will be headed to FOP so you should be off of Navi by 9:15, maybe earlier. Which FOTLK show were you trying to make? If your Safari FP is 9:40 you wont make the 10 am show but you have plenty of other options. I would do TTBAB after Navi, then Dinosaur. Your fp for the Safari is good until 10:40 so I would squeeze in any other attraction before then and use the fp just before it expires. The safari takes awile to do and lines for other attractions will be growing as you are experiencing it. If you are in the fp line for Safari by 10:40, you should be done by 11:30. I would then walk right over to the line for the 12:00 FOTLK. Just be aware that the walk from Dinosaur to the Safari is about 10 minutes. If its close, just do either Dinosaur or TTBAB before 10:40 but you may have time. I wouldn't count on doing Kali in January. If you get wet on this ride ( depends on the angle the raft hits the rapids), you get soaked. Like to the bone soaked. Not comfortable at all.

Epcot day: I dont like back tracking from WS to FW and back since Epcot is so much walking anyway but if you have to work around that Frozen fp you may have to. Ideally, I would try to change your other 2 fastpasses to 10:50 and 11:50. This way you can start in FW ( Dont have to arrive until close to noon but I bet youll be there earlier. AK closes at 8 the night before). Your current plan has you in FW and you will miss a lot of the live entertainment in the WS countries. These usually happen in the afternoon. Chinese acrobats, Mariachi bands,etc. If you dont think you'll enjoy the live performances( some are great), your current plan works.

Thanks for the great tips! As for the weather, the cold never bothered us anyway. :)

Disney Springs it is. I was leaning there anyway but always felt like I missed something by not going to the boardwalk...

AK, makes perfect sense. It might be hard to get in Dinosaur before going over to the Safari given distance. TTBAB makes more sense. Maybe we can squeeze that in and then get to the Safari earlier. I like doing Kali if it's open. Even in the 50's we're polar bears! LOL

Epcot I know - it's a hard day overall as I project it to be busy. These are probably the most fluid plans I'll have all week honestly. Given the crowds levels upon arrival, I'll probably change my plans a lot on the fly. I agree with the entertainment around the countries. Also, we want to enjoy the FOA events - once those schedules are out, we'll have even more to consider.

I haven't been yet so can't give first hand experience but have heard the VOID at Disney springs is amazing. Particularly if she likes star wards or wreck it ralph.

I could be reading the plans wrong but where it says “snag” a FP under EP & MK days..don’t the first 3 FP’s have to be used before getting a 4th? To me it looks like your wanting to get it after using 1st FP. Again, I may have read it wrong.

I could be reading the plans wrong but where it says “snag” a FP under EP & MK days..don’t the first 3 FP’s have to be used before getting a 4th? To me it looks like your wanting to get it after using 1st FP. Again, I may have read it wrong.
Yeah, you're right. I hope to be able to shift around FP's depending on wait times at those moments - snag was the wrong word to use. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!