Express Passes and Hotels

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
We are planning to go to Universal Feb. 2021. We will visit the parks for 4-5 days. The cost of a Universal hotel to get the EP (350-400 plus a night) is out of budget. However, with an 8 year old at the time, the EP sound awfully tempting. We would prefer to stay at the more affordable Sapphire. If we visit the parks for 4-5 days will we be okay without EP? Thank you!

Is it the week of midwinter break in the NE? We're going in 2020. I would expect crowds during a school holiday and get the ep. I mean, that's what we are doing, so... I guess its up to how you want to allot park time.
ETA- by that I mean to say you have plenty of time, but you may spend a lot in line, which makes the day drag, imo.

Last edited:
Is it the week of midwinter break in the NE? We're going in 2020. I would expect crowds during a school holiday and get the ep. I mean, that's what we are doing, so... I guess its up to how you want to allot park time.
It will be last week fo February into first week of March. It is not during Presidents weekend.

I went in July, and I had no problems without EP in the morning. The wait times went up in the afternoon. If you can start early, skip it. If you sleep in, then get EP.

It will be last week fo February into first week of March. It is not during Presidents weekend.

Mardi Gras will be on then.

We`ve been last two years at it is busy!

It depends on your style of touring......we for instance would never be without EP...even on so called quiet days. For us EP is worth it`s weight in gold, as we just hate queueing for any length of time!!! Some ride just have long lines regardless when you go.

If you don't mind lines, you`ll be fine......and Sapphire is a beautiful hotel if you do stay there.

Work out the cost if you do decide to stay at Sapphire and add the cost of purchasing EP on top if you felt you need it verses staying at one of the hotels with EP.

You should be okay, especially if you're comfortable starting early. Download the Universal App for ride wait times and show schedule. If you want a splurge or are hitting a weekend, you could consider one night at an EP hotel, for 2 days of EP access. With 4-5 days you should be able to do everything regardless. Plan to hit Minions & Kong early, as those lines tend to stay the longest throughout the day.

You could also stay at Sapphire and buy EPs separately for just one or two days during your stay. You don't have to decide that beforehand - they can be purchased in-park. My brother did that on our last vacation. Stayed at Cabana Bay but picked up one-day one-park regular EPs on two separate days.

You need to price it out but if you can accept only having EPs on one or two days, you could save some money that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!