Express good only for USF Resort guests (long)

fervour

Mouseketeer
Alright, I'll grant that technically the title of this message is false. Theoretically any day-use visitor can go up to the express machines and get an express pass. However, I was at USF 4/20 thru 4/22. Saturday was incredibly busy (Spiderman had an 80 minute wait; even Kong had a 45 minute wait). Sunday was moderately crowded. Monday was empty. There were no express passes available on Saturday when I arrived at about 2:30PM. On Sunday the express passes seemed to be mostly given out by late morning and certainly by early afternoon. Even on Monday, when the parks were relatively empty, the Express passes seemed to run out. It seems to me that Express pass has VERY LIMITED availability (how else could USF guarantee a less than 15 minute rate and put NO limits on hotel guests' use of Express pass?)

The purpose of this message is not to inflame the USF die-hards. I myself also had an AP last year and have renewed my AP for another year. I definitely think USF/IOA are great parks! I only want day-users to have an objective opinion (well as objective as I can be). Most likely, if you are going at a busy time of year and are not staying at a USF resort, you will get NO value from express pass whatsoever.

I am not saying don't go to USF if it is busy; I am saying don't depend on Express to plan your day if you aren't staying at a USF resort. A much better route to take (if you can) would be the single-rider lines when available and to get to the parks EARLY.
----------
Enough of the advice, now for the debate.

Does anyone else remember the original concept of Express? Do you remember how it was going to be so much better than Disney's Fastpass? Does anyone else remember that on the initial rollout of the Express machines you could hold 3 passes at a time? Then it made sense to have the interactive screens. Now that you can only have 1 pass at a time, what is the point in the interactive screens? Who would choose a later time when it would lock you out from having an additional pass? (Though in my experience because the passes run out so fast you can only get 1 or 2 passes anyway) The interactive machines now have pointless additional steps. They could still be used to select multiple rides from a single location, i.e. save USF from having to expend money on individual machines for all rides, but the procedure needs to be re-thought if park-users are only going to be allowed single passes.

The Royal Pacific is slated to open shortly. The Loew's website says that it will have over 1000 guest rooms. The Loew's website also says that HRH has 650 rooms and that PBH has 750 rooms. By my estimation , that puts between 4800 and 10000 visitors at the park with FOTL. In a worse case scenario (at least for a day-user), there are 10000 visitors with FOTL, if they all choose to use FOTL twice per attraction that would be a perceived 20000 visitors with FOTL from a day-user's perspective. Do you think that Express can handle this? What will this do to the stand-by line?

Here's a question for long-standing USF patrons: Has USF always deeply discounted their day-passes? I have only been going to USF since mid-2000 so I don't know. I initially chose a FLEX ticket which seemed to be a good deal but was about $160 or $170. Recently, USF has had such offers as 5 days for $100. What I wonder is has the value of a USF day-pass gone down since FOTL has been offered to resort guests? Regardless of whether, day-users have really been treated as less valuable, it is perception that counts. If day-users perceive the level of service as having diminished, then they won't be willing to pay the same premium that was once expected. Disney is still commanding $50/day. As far as I know, there aren't many discounts from that price. (Let me know if you know of any, PLEASE!) The cheapest pass I know of for Disney are the discounted passes from Ticketmania ---that being $221 for a 5-day park-hopper. So that's about $45/day for a discounted Disney ticket. Why must USF give their passes away for as little as $20/day? Is this an economic issue only or is it a perceived lack of value? Do day-users perceive themselves as second-class? I will be the first to say that USF rides are every bit as good as Disney rides, and any many cases exceed the quality of the comparable Disney rides. (I do think that Disney shows tend to be better than USF shows---that may be just personal preference.)

Ultimately, I don't fault USF for any decisions they make. They are ,after all, a business. If they get more revenue by offering UNLIMITED FOTL to their hotel guests at the expense of day-users, I say good for them! I will continue to go to USF ---just not at busy times of the year (unless I can get a good rate at the resorts). You can't beat USF restaurants! They are a whole class above Disney restaurants.

Maybe you guys on this board can come up with a magic formula to determine when a person not staying at a USF resort should go to the parks. Maybe it would be calling reservations and checking for availabilty for discounts at the USF Resorts. If there are no discounts available for your dates, maybe that indicates a full house and to shy away from the parks. How's that? Any better ideas?

I will go one step further. USF and IOA are a WASTE of time unless you are staying onsite. We went in April also and spent our time watching hotel guests get on the rides. It will only get worse with the Royal Pacific opening this summer. People will say that the guests will be distributed around the park, so you won't notice the impact. That's not true. Most people will be lined up at Spiderman, MIB, Hulk, etc. Do you really think that the lines will be evenly distributed between MIB, Spiderman, and let's say, Woody Woodpecker? No way!

I have nothing against on site guests. Next time, I will be on site. It was an expensive lesson to learn. Stay on site or stay home. SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are much less crowded and are both great alternatives.

I agree with most of what you said, VanCamper, however the crowds at Busch Gardens are EASILY as bad as at IOA. I was there a few weeks ago, granted it was a peak time, and Gwazi was 90 minutes, Rhino Rally was over two hours, Congo River 90 minutes, and Montu 60+ minutes almost all day. Those four rides and an hour for lunch and the day is done.

BTW I did the pay one day come back all year thing for FL residents so the waits didn't bother me too much. The wait to get the pass processed was well over an hour.

Except for Saturdays, I would almost always choose IOA over Busch GArdens. For some reason I find the overall experience at Busch to be good, just not as good as IOA/USF. It lacks something........

Just my opinion though :)

Jim

Oh great.....

This is just what I want to hear. I'll be there the first week of June and staying off site. Will it be worth doing Uni on this trip or should I just do more of Disney?

YES, YOU SHOULD GO TO UNIVERSAL. MY ADVICE TO YOU IS GET THERE EARLY.

IF THE PARK OPENS AT 9 AM, BE THERE AT 8:15. THEY MAY SURPRISE YOU AND OPEN THE GATES EARLY. YOU CAN WALK AROUND CITYWALK AND LOOK THINGS OVER AND TAKE PICTURES IF YOU HAVE TO WAIT.

DON'T WAIT UNTIL 2 IN THE AFTERNOON TO GO TO THE PARKS OF COURSE IT WILL BE FULL.

WE GO IN AUGUST EVERY YEAR. STAY OFF SITE.

LASY YEAR WE ARRIVED AT IOA AND UNIVERSAL STUDIOS AT 8:30 THEY OPENED A LITTLE EARLY. WE RODE SPIDERMAN TWICE WITH NO WAIT. WENT RIGHT ON THE HULK 1 X WENT ON FEARFALL 1 X. WALKED AROUND TO TOON LAGOON RODE DUDLEY DO RIGHT ONCE. WENT TO POPEYE WE RODE THAT A WOPPING 4 X'S. THAT'S MY SONS FAVORITE RIDE. NEVER GOT OFF. THERE WASN'T A LOT OF PEOPLE WAITING TO GET ON.

AROUND 10AM A LOT OF PEOPLE START ARRIVING AT THE PARKS.

WE FINISHED THE WHOLE PARK BY 1PM.

DIDN'T RIDE ANYTHING IN DR SEUSS.

THE KEY IS TO GET THERE EARLY. WHEN FINISHED GO BACK TO YOUR HOTEL RELAX YOUR TIRED FEET IN THE JACUZZI AND ENJOY THE POOL WHILE EVERYONE ELSE IS IN THE PARKS.

YOU WILL HAVE A BALL.:D

Disney is no different.

Fast Pass' for popular attractions are frequently gone by 2pm.

Ever try to get a Fast Pass for Test Track past noon in the summer?

-Jon

We were there in April after Easter and there was never anyone in the express lines. I mean nobody. There were also very few people in the single rider line. But there was always people in stand-by. People weren't using express at all. We couldn't understand it.

Even if Universal gave $25 rebates to everyone's daily paid admission, someone would complain about standing in line to get it. You (they) can't win.
But, yes, staying onsite is the ultimate revenge!
Jim

Blinker1 -- I agree with sentiment that Universal is worth seeing. Get there early. I don't think that I personnally would be there at 8:15, probably 8:45 for me. Well if you get to the parking deck at 8:15, that probably would put you at the park entrance at about 8:45. --THE EXPRESS PASS THING IS ONLY AN ISSUE IF IT IS A BUSY TIME OF YEAR--- if you are going during off-peak, you should have no problem anyway.

Jon360 -- In my opinion Testtrack is not a good comparison, it being the only "thrill" ride at Epcot. SpaceMountain or Splash Mountain would be better comparisons. I don't know how they compare, because I only go Disney during off-peek, but I was able to get Fastpasses to both Space and Splash Mountains late in the day. Whereas at IOA and USF I was unable to get Express passes in the afternoon.

Again I don't fault either Disney or Universal for decisions they make. They are businesses. As long as the value is good I will go to both. My question is still this: Do day-user guests feel second-class at USF and so because of the perceived lack of value, is this driving the price of Universal tickets down? or is it more like this: Universal is taking an aggressive approach in hard economic times where as Disney is taking a wait-it-out approach?

Fervour,

As an offsite WDW guest, do you feel like you are 2nd class since you do not get to purchase E-Night tickets or that you can't goto early entry mornings? As an off-site WDW guest why are you excluded from these events? There is definitely a class system at work in WDW.

What about the fact that MGM studios makes you purchase an expensive dinner if you want to cut to the front of the line for the Fantasmic show. Don't those people who wait for 2 hours in line for a good seat feel like 2nd class guests when sections are blocked off for "VIP DINNER PACKAGE"?

What about the fact that during peak holiday days when the park is full, only on-site WDW resort guests are guaranteed admission and off-site guests are sent home?

When I walk on an airplane and the first class seats are double the size of my coach seat and they receive a full meal and I get a bag of peanuts, there is a blatant class system going on.

You need to understand we live in America! I enjoy the fact that I'm on vacation at an awesome theme park. I don't spend time worrying about the fact that on-site WDW guests get better perks than I do or the fact that people who wanted to pay thousands of dollars for a first class plane ticket have a better seat than I do.

Day user guests at Universal receive a tremendous amount of value because they are able to ride the best theme park attractions in the world. There is no reason Universal day guests will not have the same enjoyment at Universal or IOA as they would have spending a day at the Magic Kingdom or MGM. If there's a 90 minute wait for Spiderman, I assure you that over at the Magic Kingdom, the wait for Space Mountain is equally as long.

Of course if I'm on-site at WDW, I can go on space mountain with virtually no wait using early entry or during an E-Ride night.

-Jon

This situation likely describes a very small fraction of the total days of the year. Had you gone a weekend later, you would have encountered fairly reasonable crowd levels, especially Sunday. Even on a few mid-summer trips last year, we found plenty of Express availabiltiy throughout the day.

I think the system works very well. Although, I really miss being able to hold three Express Passes if you were a passholder, that was really nice.

Jon360, Early Entry was eliminated on October 20, 2001. Just wanted to let you know in case you were planning a trip anytime soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter