Explosive-o's! An August Trip Report (FINISHED 1/11!)

Thanks for keeping up best you can! I'm about to restart the inundation of FoF pictures lol. No idea when we're going back - we're looking for new places to live and such so right now our lives are consumed with that.

I'm still bummed that we missed each other! I think I got the notifications right as I got onto the monorail or I would have turned right back around.

Festival of Fantasy Part 2
Ooooo boy, we're barely halfway through the FoF pictures. This will be an all-photo post. I know some people love 'em and some hate 'em but I am far too impressed with myself for finally getting good parade photos that I want to keep going.

Mon. 11 Aug. 2014 by wildvictorian, on Flickr

Festival of Fantasy Part 3

(so, quick conversation about this picture – when I went to Disneyland Paris a few years ago I took a similar picture of the Mad Hatter sitting with the parade watchers on our last day there. I thought it was pretty appropriate that I accidentally snagged a near-identical picture. So I edited it to look like the original I had taken with everyone but the Hatter in black & white)

And with that the parade ended. The moment I tried to move I realized that I couldn't – I had been standing in one place for so long without being able to move that my feet had gone numb. I basically hobbled myself over to Casey's – we were sweating more than we had all week thanks to standing in direct sunlight for two hours, but it was completely worth it. It was a great thing to watch. I snagged a seat inside Casey's while Jem went and got us some waters. I was really lucky – about ten seconds after I took the picture of that last float my camera died. Considering the fact I took nearly 300 pictures in the span of two hours it needed to cool off and rest.

And about three minutes after we sat down in Casey's the skies opened up and it began to pour.

Real Life Update!!

I know, I know, I knoooooooow I'm really close to the end of this TR. "Why are you prolonging this, Elle?" those of you reading along may be whinging. I've been giving myself the same complaints.

Honestly, though, I should be finishing up the final odds and ends during this next week while I'm home, when I'm not doing work.

But! I have some wonderful post-Christmas, pre-birthday news! I'm going to California next August! Same week as this trip was this year. This will be an entirely new experience for me. I've never been to Disneyland before and Jem hasn't been since she was two. Her mother's coming with us again, so it'll be a fun-filled, family affair.

Also, on Christmas my aunt (who has not been to Disney since..hm...it may have been over ten years since she last went. I think I may have been sixteen at the time, if not younger) made overtures about wanting to go back to WDW. Disney is not my aunt's idea of a vacation - she's not necessarily a planner and her usual vacations are choral festivals and the like. The last time she went she made no dinner reservations, didn't take advantage of the fast pass system, and basically spent all day lounging on the Polynesian beach. So once Jem, her mother, and I confirmed that we were going to Disneyland and I did the price out and realized just how easily I could pay off my third I sent a text over to my aunt offering to go to Florida with her this summer if she is still interested in going and doing all the leg work for it for us. I can already think of a bunch of restaurants that she'd like.

So, fingers crossed on that one but definite for Disneyland! Yay!pixiedust:

The End​

Once the rain stopped (and we listened to the Dapper Dans again while sitting inside Casey's) we started to meander through the shops. We knew we had to leave but neither of us really wanted to go.

I took this before we left Casey's:

Jem ended up buying a Stitch stuffed animal that she had wanted all trip and I bought some jewelry.

Just before we left I took this picture. Now, let's have a conversation about this, shall we?

It looks fine when it's small but then I got home and noticed the poor woman missing the back of her head and the kid in red that looks like they're missing something. Oh well, I just wanted to capture that last moment in Magic Kingdom.

We made our way back to the Caribbean Beach bus stop. It was only us and an older man who was going back to rest while his wife continued looking around the park. He was very nice and we had a very enjoyable conversation with him.

But we had a LONG conversation with him.

Because guys? It took close to a half hour-forty minutes for our bus to come. We left with plenty of time to get our luggage when we got back and now we were stuck waiting. And it had started to downpour again. We had just made it under the cover before it started.

But yeah, bus service went downhill as the days went by. I know it was the middle of the day (sort of, close to five) but very twenty minutes then something way more reliable like a bus should be able to too. We got back to Caribbean Beach about ten or fifteen minutes before our bus was scheduled to show up. I waited for our carry-ons and shifted things between my carry-on and my park bag while Jem went to the bathroom to quickly change into her airport clothes.

She came out about a minute before our bus showed up and we were quickly off to the airport :(

She did have enough time for me to snap a picture of her cuddling her new Stitch though

When we got there we had time to kill. We went up to window shop before we went through security. Which was a bad idea because right at the top of the stairs? Was the NASA store.

So, I don't know if you've picked up on it, but Jem's a little obsessed with space. She watches all the launches, she watches all the astronaut biographies, the documentaries, everything. For Christmas her prized possession was a Neil Degrasse Tyson book.

So yeah, she loves space.

We walked in and walked around while she geeked out (we were the only ones in there). We had to leave only because I had to use the bathroom and we have a code taught to us by both her mother and chaperoning for my father's select choir: when one goes to the bathroom, everyone takes advantage of it.

We headed back in and we were honestly in there for about twenty minutes. I think Jem bought more stuff in there than she did over a week in Disney.

Seriously, she got a travel coffee mug, a t-shirt, two keychains, and that sleeve of patches she's holding (they're either Gemini or Mercury, I can't remember which she ended up buying, I just remember I found the Gemini ones). She may have gotten some other things as well but I don't think she did.

I got my revenge though. We walked across the hall to the Universal store and I spent quite a bit of time looking around at all the Harry Potter merch. Not that she dislikes Harry Potter (or I dislike space) but it's definitely something I'm more in love with than her and vice versa. This is what I ended up getting (as modeled by my fantastic Duffy bear):

A chocolate frog and a Ravenclaw Prefect badge. Not as over the top but I needed to be able to fit everything in my bags and the only other things I wanted were gigantic.

We also stopped by the Earport and Jem picked up some things her mother had wanted. She also managed to get the backpack that they were selling for spending $25 and up or whatever the price distinction was. I think the CM actually managed to sell it for her without her buying that much, because the only place we spent enough to get it during the trip was at a kiosk that didn't have them. So we moved things around in her bags so that she could use that (bigger) bag for her personal item and went back out.

We still had time to kill before we even thought about going through security so we wandered back from the Earport to the security checkpoint we needed to go through and found the Sanrio store. We looked around inside before finally deciding to bite the bullet and go through security.

I got through fine, Jem was chosen for a random check. I got laughed at by the security guard here though. I spent a year and a bit traveling between England and America, usually with stops in Iceland or Ireland or Canada in the process, so I've gotten very used to traveling. I also just kind of flip my foot back, catch my shoe, and put it in the tray. I guess he'd never seen someone do that before because he laughed and proceeded to loudly tell all the other people working around him about how I flipped my shoe off.

Anyway, security was fast minus those two little things, we were at our gate in no time. They had just broken the news about Robin Williams so it was kind of surreal sitting at the gate listening to the news report about it.

Our flight home was fine and uneventful. I don't know what I did – probably listened to podcasts and tried to sleep. We got back to Boston sometime around midnight and got our bags. Then we waited around for my parents, who were waiting around the corner at a different baggage carousel. Apparently the sign had the wrong carousel number on it and when I called him he didn't realize that there were more on the other side.

They dropped us off at our apartment and I think we both just collapsed into bed. It had been a long day, but so worth it.

Final Thoughts​

Since we go so often I just did final thoughts for our new things:

Magic Bands/FP+: I liked that we could change our FP's. For example, we had one for Splash Mountain that we ended up not wanting to use because it was uncomfortably hot and humid and we had already done it a few nights before. It was nice to change that to allow us to change from that to Buzz, another ride that we needed a FP to get on. It was also nice to not have to run to TSMM or Soarin' right away. But being unable to add more FP's on the phone and only at the kiosks definitely deterred us from doing it. In fact we never got a fourth FP because the lines were generally longer than the lines for some rides. Either there need to be more kiosks (why not have simply upgraded the kiosks that were already out at specific locations for the Legacy FP?), or have it be something you can do digitally? I'm not saying get rid of the kiosks completely, just have more than one option or more locations.

We did have one problem with our MB, in that, on the Magical Express it never changed the fact that we had changed hotels from an All Star to Caribbean Beach. We had done it within 45 days of making our reservation (so about 90-80 days before showing up), had checked in online, and had even called to make sure that it wouldn't happen but it still did. Everyone was very helpful and the man at online check-in was even nice enough to offer double checking the number on our MBs to make sure that it was a computer error and not a MB error. But had we not gone to baggage to have them locate our bags (we were told at check-in we wouldn't need to but Jem's anxiety on the matter paid off) because even though we wrote Caribbean Beach on them they were marked as “unknown location” because the barcode scanned to All Star and someone had to drive over to go get them.

It was also a bit of a pain to try and get it read when paying for food, and it was a crapshoot as to whose band would work. Sometimes mine did, sometimes Jem's did. Sometimes neither did and it was usually blamed on the scanner and they just went to the computer and manually did things but it was a pain.

- lunch & dinner at Be Our Guest:
Lunch: I enjoyed lunch. It was just enough food and it wasn't too much, as a portion. It moved quickly and it wasn't too terribly crowded while trying to find a seat. I don't know what it would have been like had we not gotten the FP for it, however. And I definitely wouldn't wait in the long lines we had met up with the last two times we've been in Disney while it's been open.

Dinner: I liked dinner, but man those two tops are close together. The food was very good and the ambiance was nice, but I felt like I was eating right on top of the people next to us. I know they need to have the aisle open for the dessert tray and such but it's a bit tight.

- riding 7 Dwarves Mine Train: I wasn't all that impressed. We both fit, which is a plus (Jem's tiny, but I'm not, I'm average build), and we were enjoying it but the two sudden, jarring stops turned us off. We wanted to go on again just to see if the jarring was intentional or an error but never had the chance to. I'm surprised no one got whiplash.

- breakfast at Cape May: I enjoyed it a lot. The buffet had a nice spread of obviously Americana food but it was different, and the character interactions were probably some of the best we had all week. We loved that you could draw on the table (as I think I said we wrote a nice thank you letter to our server on it before we left) and the service all around was very friendly, from the greeters to our waitress to the other waiters around us. Outside of the fact that it's a bit far away if you're not staying at an Epcot resort I'd go back.

- lunch at Sci-Fi: I remember Sci-Fi being rather bland. Actually my biggest memories are not of Sci-Fi's food but of the things we did while there. My friend was fairly young (I was more babysitting him than enjoying Disney with him at that age) and he was so enraptured by the shorts on the big screen that we were cleaning off the glow cubes that came in the drinks and slipping them into his sprite to see how long it would take for him to notice. It took about three, if you were curious. Anyway, for a lunch, it was a good lunch spot. The food's a bit better than the QS restaurants in the area and the prices aren't bad. The desserts aren't great, but the milkshakes were very good and my burger was yummy.

- Rock'n'Rollercoaster: I honestly thought Jem wouldn't talk to me for the rest of the trip. Or that she would chicken out and leave me alone. But she didn't, she's a trooper. She said it's something she'd only do once a trip but she said it doesn't feel like a rollercoaster and by the time she'd braced herself for the loop it was already done. So, those who hate roller coasters with a passion (like Jem does – and I do) R&RC gets a positive vote from the most reluctant rider it's seen in a while!

- lunch at San Angel Inn: I went into this honestly expecting to hate it. I really, really did. I hate Mexican food, I've had multiple bad experiences with Mexican food, and my stomach just cannot handle it.

Well.

Then I went to San Angel Inn. This is a hidden little gem. I had mediocre things at best and maybe it's because I have so little experience with Mexican food but I really liked it. I even ate refried beans. I grew up around beans and refuse to eat them unless they're in Puerto Rican pollo con frijoles where they're buried deep in the yellow rice. Jem pretty much feels the same, but we both ate at least half of our portions of beans (there was a lot, and we had devoured a lot of soup beforehand). I realize they were drenched in Mexican cheese but I don't care because I ate them and even an hour before we had gone I would have bet you all my money that I would never even touch them. The service was good but that doesn't surprise me – we constantly talk about how the people who work in the Mexican pavilion are some of the friendliest CMs we encounter every trip – and it was very relaxing; you almost forgot you were in Epcot.

- breakfast at Tusker House: The food is different and the character interaction's a little lackluster since the facility wasn't made for it, but the service was good and the food was yummy. I'd go back.

- La Nouba: The show's great from any angle but don't go during the construction. It was partially my fault for not getting the time right and ending up showing up later than I wanted to, but it took us an extra fifteen-twenty minutes to get over to the theatre so we missed the very opening. But the show is wonderful and I suggest seeing it at least once if the Cirque is your thing.

- lunch at Kona Cafe: The food was good. The service? ….Eh. Our server didn't seem to want to deal with us too much. It took her ten minutes just to come over to get a drink order, she never checked on us after we got our food, and she wasn't attentive. We may go back, we may not.

After over 6 hours spent painting my bedroom today, reading your final TR posts was a nice way to decompress!!

So glad we were both a part of DisTeamAug :goodvibes:goodvibes

I saw your ticker...I hope you do a TR for DL because we're thinking about making that our summer 2016 destination!

Oof that does sound like a hard day! Glad finishing my TR helped :)

I definitely plan on doing a TR for Disneyland this coming August and *touch wood* I'll hopefully be going back to WDW a month earlier so I'm hoping to do an epic Disney TR for this summer :)

Have read the first 3 days & enjoy tagging along on your trip. Thanks so much for sharing!

Loved your trip report! The pictures are beautiful. What type of camera did you use? Our family is going to WDW August 2016 and I was concerned about the heat. You make it sound like a cake walk...just kidding. Seems you both handled the heat well by drinking a lot of fluids and taking breaks. Any other tips?:)

Loved your trip report! The pictures are beautiful. What type of camera did you use? Our family is going to WDW August 2016 and I was concerned about the heat. You make it sound like a cake walk...just kidding. Seems you both handled the heat well by drinking a lot of fluids and taking breaks. Any other tips?:)

lol, I'm so bad at dealing with extreme heat or extreme cold.

HATS! Seriously! If you look at some of the pictures I took I'm wearing a big floppy hat. It's great, lightweight, and it was wonderfully cheap! I got it at Target for something like $15, it folded up, and the material was thin enough that even when it was ridiculously hot the hat was nicely breathable.

Also, even if you don't want to, if you're not feeling up to snuff go into a store or get some water and sit inside somewhere air conditioned for a little bit. We're very go-go-go but we took as much advantage of the air conditioning as we could and it definitely helps, even if it's just for a few minutes. I remember when we went for our college graduation with my parents I nearly passed out in the BTMRR queue because I had pushed too hard in the heat (that was a July trip) and now we're both very conscious of how good/bad we're doing in the sun so that something like that doesn't happen again.

My camera's a Nikon Coolpix S800c. It's a great little point and shoot and holds a nice long charge (the only time it died in the middle of the day was that very last day, but it had been on for nearly 2 hours straight.) The only issue with it is getting used to turning it off correctly, because it runs on an old-school Droid interface and automatically goes to sleep instead of turning off right away.

lol, I'm so bad at dealing with extreme heat or extreme cold.

HATS! Seriously! If you look at some of the pictures I took I'm wearing a big floppy hat. It's great, lightweight, and it was wonderfully cheap! I got it at Target for something like $15, it folded up, and the material was thin enough that even when it was ridiculously hot the hat was nicely breathable.

Also, even if you don't want to, if you're not feeling up to snuff go into a store or get some water and sit inside somewhere air conditioned for a little bit. We're very go-go-go but we took as much advantage of the air conditioning as we could and it definitely helps, even if it's just for a few minutes. I remember when we went for our college graduation with my parents I nearly passed out in the BTMRR queue because I had pushed too hard in the heat (that was a July trip) and now we're both very conscious of how good/bad we're doing in the sun so that something like that doesn't happen again.

My camera's a Nikon Coolpix S800c. It's a great little point and shoot and holds a nice long charge (the only time it died in the middle of the day was that very last day, but it had been on for nearly 2 hours straight.) The only issue with it is getting used to turning it off correctly, because it runs on an old-school Droid interface and automatically goes to sleep instead of turning off right away.

I do remember seeing all the hats! Silly me, I thought they were just really cute fashion choices..lol. Matter of fact, I was admiring how some people wear hats so well (I am not one of those people :rolleyes:). If it will keep me cool...I will wear it no matter how uncool I look :joker:

As for the camera, I have a similar model...sounds like I need to practice more with taking photos.

Thank you so much for posting your trip!

Hi Elle, Again, I want to thank you for sharing your trip with us. The FoF pictures are gorgeous! I hope to read about your WDW & Disneyland trips in August! Thanks again:-)

I just found your TR. We were there at the same time and I have to laugh because it was SOOOO HOT. We were at AK on that day that it was 113 and my DH and I still laugh about trudging out of there at 2pm pushing a double stroller as I was close to tears. LOL

Our next trip is in Feb and it will be nice not to boil in WDW.

I just found your TR. We were there at the same time and I have to laugh because it was SOOOO HOT. We were at AK on that day that it was 113 and my DH and I still laugh about trudging out of there at 2pm pushing a double stroller as I was close to tears. LOL

Our next trip is in Feb and it will be nice not to boil in WDW.

Thanks for reading! Oh man, I thought I could do it, but after nearly 7 years of spring/winter trips I just was so unprepared for that day. So thankful for the rain THAT day! I couldn't do it by myself, I have no idea what it was like with the stroller. Hope your trip was good and your next one's magical :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter