Experienced Disney travelers going on school trip - help!

cozyplaidblanket

Earning My Ears
Title says it all. We are going on a school sponsored trip, and my kids are at the mercy of the trip's itinerary on the day they go to Magic Kingdom. They don't arrive to the park until 9:20. We typically do rope drop and Fastpasses, but it looks like they won't have access to My Disney Experience to get fastpasses. Does anyone have advice on a) other ways to get fast passes, and b) how to find a good tour plan for no fastpasses and for getting to the park after it opens? Sorry if this is a stupid question, and thank you!

I do not have advice, but I do know my son is going on a school trip to Disney. I think I am going to tell him just to have fun with his friends, and remember that he will be back soon with us.

That's what I suggested. One kid thinks that's a good idea, and the other wants to give her friends who haven't been the ultimate experience, so I'm asking more for her.

While we are rope droppers, I don't think rope drop and hitting everything is the best experience for everyone. So I'd tell your daughter to relax and have fun with her friends. in my experience, there is a fine line between going to Disney with a helpful friend who has BTDT and someone who has a list of things to do in order like a touring plan. Our school's cheerleaders just got back from a trip there and I'm pretty sure that none of them had any kind of fast passes or touring plans but they all had a great time because they were at Disney with friends.

Thanks. I've talked with her, and she has adjusted her expectations. In fact, she is editing the color-coded spreadsheet she made. Yes, I'm serious.
Have her set up an MDX account and list the friends who’ll be together in the park.

Link tickets as soon as they receive them and book 3 FPs. They can all share the login info to add on or look for additional FPs.

Have her and her friends go over the rides/events and pick certain ones they know they want to hit. If you have the Touring Plans subscription, you can do up some trial plans for her that will show the wait times, then, if she doesn't get any good FPs in the MDE you'll set up for her, she'll at least have information on wait times and how best to hit those must-do rides, even if it means standing in line.

If you get the subscription to Touring Plans, you can give your daughter access to their site to optimize her plan on the go and check wait times. Practice doing that with a trial plan before she goes, so she knows if it works for her or not.

Also, there's the new Disney Play app. Check it out, in case it's something they might want to do while standing in lines.

Yes, this! Was just going to suggest what FIGMENTSPARK said. DH is a HS band director & is going w/ his students next month. I'll be doing a Touring Plan for him at MK-although I'm pretty sure he's more interested in finding a bench in a nice shady spot LOL!

Have her set up an MDX account and list the friends who’ll be together in the park.

Link tickets as soon as they receive them and book 3 FPs. They can all share the login info to add on or look for additional FPs.

Agree with this strategy. Also, you didn't mention if they are staying on site or not so if they are offsite and they don't get to sign up until 30 days, I'd say get the best FPs they can and plan around the rest. Since they will miss RD, have them go to Adventureland and Frontierland, for example, which won't get the mad rush like Fantasyland and Tomorrowland will see. And if the one kid that is trying to maximize the experience can keep their group small (like 3-4 people tops), then refreshing for better times will be a little easier. As soon as they use a FP, start refreshing to see if they can move up the next FP to a closer time. (I'm just assuming they may not get the prime FPs they want if they've already missed the booking window or if they have to wait until 30 days.)

Good luck to your kids! I just went with my company and I had to make FPs and plans for a group of 9. That was fun. o_O

Set up the account with them BEFORE the leave to make sure it works.
Double check with the coordinator about getting the tickets early - some groups will do this
Get her friend group over and give them a quick - what can you do without FP plan

Bottom line - I agree with everyone else. The trip will be different and fun because she is there with a group of friends.

When my son goes to DL with friends his expectations are different because he just wants to hang out with his friends.

Report back and let us know how it goes.

Refresh will be their friend here. As long as they have their own MDE accounts, and link the tickets as soon as they get them, they should be able to get plenty of same day FP using refresh.

I went on a school band trip to WDW many years ago..while it was fun, we didnt experience much because us girls could not agree on what to do! The MDX app is a wonderful thing as other posters have mentioned. Try to get 3 fast passes booked close together as once they are all used you may book 1 more at a time until park close or no more fast passes remain. I wouldnt make an iron clad plan as we have gone to WDW 4 times since 2015 and hate well planned trips. But making a list of things you must do is a good idea. Just know that not everything always works out, and sometimes you get pleasantly surprised. Like hitting SWSDMT at 80 min wait and getting on ride in 20 min because you didnt watch the fireworks. Or getting on Peter Pan AFTER park close when you never thought you would make it. Just tell your kid to go with the flow and enjoy it!! (If they havent seen Happily Ever After fireworks--they are amazing!! But after seeing them multiple times, catching rides during this time is much easier and that was a priority for us on our last night) Happy & Safe travels!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter