Experience with Jost Van Dyke beach transfer. Good... bad?

I'm going on the Disney Magic leaving NYC on November 5th & I just noticed the Jost Van Dyke beach day added to the excursions. I switched from the shorter one to this one. Would you mind posting your experience when you get back? My onboard time for that day is listed as 4:45pm but the excursion is listed as running from 10a-5p. I wonder if the time changes or if this excursion will be cancelled. I guess since I'm booked through Disney, they can't leave me behind, right? Lol. When the excursions first posted, only the shorter beach transfer was listed. I just happened to be looking tonight and noticed the beach day is now there. :) Thanks for any info!

OK!! We are back from our cruise. Tortola was nice. The excursion and a little shopping right there at the dock is all we did so I can't say much about Tortola itself. The excursion starts early in the morning, 7:30 in the meeting area on the ship. About 60 people went all total. We disembarked and walked the 500 yards or so to the pier where the excursion boat was tied off.

The large, semi enclosed catamaran boat took about 45 minutes to arrive at Jost Van Dyke. They played Island music and offered a small amount of "tour guide" type info on the islands we passed. We all received a wrist band to identify us as participants and a ticket for a non-alcoholic drink. The ride there was nice.

At White Bay we had to be tendered to the beach, which was about 50 feet away. Why I don't know... some reason or another. It took three trips to get all 60 of us ashore. Most of the time was spent donning life jackets for the 30 second trip to the beach. The crew was very friendly and helpful. :sail:

The beach itself is nice. Even though it was early in the day, the swimming was great. We were allowed only in a fairly small netted area... maybe about a acre all together. The sand is soft and the water is crystal clear. Lots of small fish and one turtle spotted.:fish:

The beach chairs provided were OK. There is shade available. Not all of the shops were open. It looked to be the two bars and a tee-shirt place. The whole beach is a couple hundred yards long. We were the only people there until two other boats arrived later with only a dozen or so folks aboard.

The only downer was that a bunch of our group got lost (in a bar I think) and failed to get aboard on time. We had to sit and wait for them quite a while and then one of the bunch dropped something overboard stepping off the tender, (a lens cap to his camera), that a crew member recovered. More waiting!! Thanks! :hourglass

The ride back was different than the trip there. Lots of Pain Killers loosened the parents up and the pop music had all of the kids, and most parents, singing and dancing. A very lively and happy group. It poured rain for the last leg for about 10 minutes. Rain is cool to see on the open water.

A good time, a beautiful beach, great water, friendly crew. The actual time on the beach is about 2 1/2 hours. An easy, comfortable time for young and old alike. Amenities though are basic.

Last edited:

OK!! We are back from our cruise. Tortola was nice. The excursion and a little shopping right there at the dock is all we did so I can't say much about Tortola itself. The excursion starts early in the morning, 7:30 in the meeting area on the ship. About 60 people went all total. We disembarked and walked the 500 yards or so to the pier where the excursion boat was tied off.

The large, semi enclosed catamaran boat took about 45 minutes to arrive at Jost Van Dyke. They played Island music and offered a small amount of "tour guide" type info on the islands we passed. We all received a wrist band to identify us as participants and a ticket for a non-alcoholic drink. The ride there was nice.

At White Bay we had to be tendered to the beach, which was about 50 feet away. Why I don't know... some reason or another. It took three trips to get all 60 of us ashore. Most of the time was spent donning life jackets for the 30 second trip to the beach. The crew was very friendly and helpful. :sail:

The beach itself is nice. Even though it was early in the day, the swimming was great. We were allowed only in a fairly small netted area... maybe about a acre all together. The sand is soft and the water is crystal clear. Lots of small fish and one turtle spotted.:fish:

The beach chairs provided were OK. There is shade available. Not all of the shops were open. It looked to be the two bars and a tee-shirt place. The whole beach is a couple hundred yards long. We were the only people there until two other boats arrived later with only a dozen or so folks aboard.

The only downer was that a bunch of our group got lost (in a bar I think) and failed to get aboard on time. We had to sit and wait for them quite a while and then one of the bunch dropped something overboard stepping off the tender, (a lens cap to his camera), that a crew member recovered. More waiting!! Thanks! :hourglass

The ride back was different than the trip there. Lots of Pain Killers loosened the parents up and the pop music had all of the kids, and most parents, singing and dancing. A very lively and happy group. It poured rain for the last leg for about 10 minutes. Rain is cool to see on the open water.

A good time, a beautiful beach, great water, friendly crew. The actual time on the beach is about 2 1/2 hours. An easy, comfortable time for young and old alike. Amenities though are basic.

Thank you for your review. We are signed up for the Full day Jost Van Dyke excursion next week. Just have to get through some nasty weather in Florida before we board the Fantasy on Saturday.

Did you do the full day or the transfer? I'm traveling with a 2 yr old...would this be a pleasant excursion for a toddler

Thank you for your review. We are signed up for the Full day Jost Van Dyke excursion next week. Just have to get through some nasty weather in Florida before we board the Fantasy on Saturday.

Curious how the full day went? Was it worth having the extra time there in retrospect?

Curious how the full day went? Was it worth having the extra time there in retrospect?
We never made it there. We were on the Fantasy sailing that was altered due to Hurricane Matthew and we ended up with a Western Caribbean cruise instead of the Eastern.

I am looking at doing this with my 4 year old son (half day). It lists having a water trampoline and some other water toys. Where those there then and if so, any comments?

We are doing Jost Van Dyke full day later this month. Anyone else able to give a quick review of their experience?

We are doing Jost Van Dyke full day later this month. Anyone else able to give a quick review of their experience?
We loved it so much that my entire family is going to do it again Next January. The beach is just beautiful and the entire time I was on the Island, I kept singing to myself "No Shoes, NO Shirt, NO problem" because that is the beach Kenny Chesney's Video was filmed. The food was terrific, the water just perfect and getting there and back was no problem. My kids were 8 and 5 at the time and can't wait to go back.

I'm glad to hear this. I have just been having a hard time finding much info about this excursion and of the more recent ones, last spring, Disney cancelled the excursion at the last minute (like 2 weeks before). I'm worried that it could happen again if not enough people are signed up.

We're there very many people on the Disney excursion?

We loved it so much that my entire family is going to do it again Next January. The beach is just beautiful and the entire time I was on the Island, I kept singing to myself "No Shoes, NO Shirt, NO problem" because that is the beach Kenny Chesney's Video was filmed. The food was terrific, the water just perfect and getting there and back was no problem. My kids were 8 and 5 at the time and can't wait to go back.

Head over the hill from Soggy Dollar Bar and you'll be at one of my favorite bars in the world, Foxy's Tamarind, but a goodly portion of the time it's overrun with people who heard Somewhere in the Sun and decided that they wanted to be at Foxy's too. It was fantastic when it was just the bareboat and live-aboard set. Everything I ever wanted in an island bar.

Strongly considering this excursion for our June Fantasy cruise. Can you describe how difficult it is to get on and off the tender? My DW is ambulatory but somewhat limited - cannot raise her knees too high i.e. to climb over the side of a boat on the beach.
Also, I'm surprised to hear you mention being confined to a small netted area. Do you know if that is always there? From what I've found so far online that beach appeared to be kept pretty natural.

This is a strange question for a CRUISE excursion, but how were the waters on the ride? I do okay on the big ship with my Bonine. I'm just concerned about the smaller boat and rough waters. Any input would be great!

When we did this excursion back in January 2016, there were about 50 people on this excursion. We took a nice calm boat ride over to Jost Van Dyke Island and then took a van over to the beach. Other people who took a catamaran to the beach didn't seem to have any trouble getting from the boat to the beach. The water was very calm, no waves, just a beautiful ride over to the island.

Has anyone done the math on the cost of doing this yourself vs. doing it through DCL?

We are signed up for this in February, but I am considering doing it on our own if there's a substantial cost difference, even after netting out the included food/drink.

Also, I'm surprised to hear you mention being confined to a small netted area. Do you know if that is always there? From what I've found so far online that beach appeared to be kept pretty natural.

Yeah. I found this weird too, considering the Soggy Dollar Bar got its name because people drop anchor then wade ashore, as White Bay has no pier/dock to tie up to.

Strongly considering this excursion for our June Fantasy cruise. Can you describe how difficult it is to get on and off the tender? My DW is ambulatory but somewhat limited - cannot raise her knees too high i.e. to climb over the side of a boat on the beach.

I too have some mobility issues, hip and back related, but I had no problem getting on or off either of the boats we rode. The tender is brought right next to the larger boat and may have been a small step down. Lots of helping hands from the crew. The tender actually has a ramp that flops down onto the beach. The trip over to the beach was calm and lazy. The trip back was a little livelier, perhaps due to currents/ waves or the thunder storm that blew over us.

The instruction from the crew was to swim in the netted area. There was no stopping anyone from going down the beach to swim elsewhere, though no one did this that I noticed while we were there. Here's a photo of the drop off area that shows both boats, the short distance we had to tender (??), and the buoys holding the nets.

Last edited:
I too have some mobility issues, hip and back related, but I had no problem getting on or off either of the boats we rode. The tender is brought right next to the larger boat and may have been a small step down. Lots of helping hands from the crew. The tender actually has a ramp that flops down onto the beach. The trip over to the beach was calm and lazy. The trip back was a little livelier, perhaps due to currents/ waves or the thunder storm that blew over us.

The instruction from the crew was to swim in the netted area. There was no stopping anyone from going down the beach to swim elsewhere, though no one did this that I noticed while we were there. Here's a photo of the drop off area that shows both boats, the short distance we had to tender (??), and the buoys holding the nets.

Thanks Bettyscruise.... I'm really leaning towards this excursion

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter