Expand on this

Shugardrawers

<font color=teal><b>Ovarian Cancer Survivor!<br><f
Ok, so I'm trying to set up my new house. I put this picture with this book case and LOVED the combo. It's not normally my taste but I'm really liking it. Problem is, most of my house is a mish mash of several styles. You know, yard sale/hand me down chic? Well, I want to head in this direction. Ideas to expand on this theme???

It's a Van Gogh print in a weathered barn board frame (LOVE the frame). The book case is something Dh made from a couple of dumpster dive pieces. It's been stripped to the bare wood (pine) and refinished with a green sage stain outside and the same with a whitewashed tint inside. It's fabulous. We also have a coffee table Dh made from dumpster scraps that's wonderful and goes beautifully with this set. But that's it. Nothing else in the house goes. Ideas on accessories, furniture, plants would be appreciated.

Here's the real kicker though: Up until a couple of days ago I favored a blue/green/yellow/white color scheme. The painting has brick red, yellow and shades of green. We are talking almost all new colors and accessories.

bookcase.jpg

You don't have to change your color scheme just because of the picture.
The picture has a great deal of blue in it and from what I can tell, it looks like the chair is green and yellow too.

Red is very complimentary to yellow as well as blue and greens. I would stick to your original colors! :thumbsup2

I agree with ChristmasElf... the red is just kind of an accent... of course it depends on the style of the other stuff I guess...

I have a similiar picture I found at a Goodwill store! Not Van Gogh tho'... it's a blue distressed chair on a hard wood floor w/a peep of rug. There's a basket on the chair. I loved it as soon as I saw it! It works great w/my room ... kind of country... not frou frou country - but kind of updated country.. w/some shabby chic thrown in... :rotfl:

My style is usually casual cottage style. You think this really goes with that? This is a more primitive look. I guess I need to find a way to blend them. :confused3

ahhh so when you say casual cottage ... and you're using blues/greens/yellows... you're talking BRIGHTS right?

Just start toning 'em down if you want to move the direction of the picture/bookcase... Instead of brights - go muted with the same colors.. :confused3

I know my taste has changed a lot .. tho' I mix it up ... I have prim stuff - a Thomas Kincaid picture... the chair picture ... a bookcase w/COWS cut in the side (from my frou frou country days)... a leather sofa that has a western look ... just a real MIX.. but I'm happy with everything I've got ... (except my end tables... they're 80's oak... yuck). :rotfl2: Oh yea... and a kind of medivial looking desk!

I think if you stay w/ the same TONES ... that's the trick with color..

Maybe just paint your walls a differt darker color, that will tie everything to gether. More light the Rusty color of the picture.

Shugardrawers said:
My style is usually casual cottage style. You think this really goes with that? This is a more primitive look. I guess I need to find a way to blend them. :confused3

I wouldn't limit myself to a "style". If you put things in your house that you like vs buying things that are your "style" your house will look more homey and comfortable and you will enjoy your home more.

I have nothing to add - my house is a mish mash of styles and needs some directions as well

BUT

Sughardrawers - I love that combo too -- the bookshelf is so great - what a nice job your husband did - I am sure the coffee table must be just as wonderful - and your instincts of putting the picture and the bookshelf together were good -- just go with your instincts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!