Existing reservation using borrowed points?

amystevekai&bump

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I’m so sorry as I suspect this has been already answered somewhere, but I’ve just had a massive panic and knew someone here would know the answer!

I booked our home resorts at 11 months out for New Years and have used banked and borrowed points for our extended family to stay as well (it’s my uncles 60th birthday). I’ve now just this minute realised that I’ve used a whole years worth of borrowed points to make the reservations - will DVC cancel my bookings now with the new 50% borrowing rule, or am I safe due to making the booking back in January before all of this happened?

many thanks for any help x

Hi all,

I’m so sorry as I suspect this has been already answered somewhere, but I’ve just had a massive panic and knew someone here would know the answer!

I booked our home resorts at 11 months out for New Years and have used banked and borrowed points for our extended family to stay as well (it’s my uncles 60th birthday). I’ve now just this minute realised that I’ve used a whole years worth of borrowed points to make the reservations - will DVC cancel my bookings now with the new 50% borrowing rule, or am I safe due to making the booking back in January before all of this happened?

many thanks for any help x

Your safe. The policy does not apply to bookings made prior.

It only applies to borrowing done after April 24th at 3:30 pm.

If one had a waitlist in place prior to that date and it requires borrowing more than 50%, they are honoring that too!

Ok sounds like I have some experts here and need advice before cancelling 7/20 ressie! My sons 7/19 wedding was cancelled (LI, NY) and booked WDW ressie for honeymoon using borrowed points from 2021 (60 points). Can’t get thru on phone, did email but no reply yet, but very nervous if I cancel online they won’t go back to 2021 and would have to use by 2/1/21 (UY)! Any thoughts would be appreciated ty!

Right now, we have heard they are putting borrowed points back for canceled reservations, even for July and August.

So, based on today, you should get the exception. But, there is no guarantee they won’t discontinue at any time now that the resorts and parks are open during your trip,

All you can do is wait until you can get through to confirm. Would they still go if the points won’t be returned?

If not, then go ahead and cancel and resend an email saying you would Like them returned,

Right now, we have heard they are putting borrowed points back for canceled reservations, even for July and August.

So, based on today, you should get the exception. But, there is no guarantee they won’t discontinue at any time now that the resorts and parks are open during your trip,

All you can do is wait until you can get through to confirm. Would they still go if the points won’t be returned?

If not, then go ahead and cancel and resend an email saying you would Like them returned,
No we r on LI, NY dont even know if 14 day self quarantine would be in effect still in FL fir people arriving from NY! Besides the Scary fact of flying on an airplane! Ty

No we r on LI, NY dont even know if 14 day self quarantine would be in effect still in FL fir people arriving from NY! Besides the Scary fact of flying on an airplane! Ty

If it were me, cancel today, and email them to have them returned, Maybe include the part about quarantine too!

This way, it shows the cancelation before anything has been officially posted that the return of borrowed points rule has stopped.

Good luck and so sorry about the wedding. My DD27 was to be in two weddings and her friends had to change them too.

If it were me, cancel today, and email them to have them returned, Maybe include the part about quarantine too!

This way, it shows the cancelation before anything has been officially posted that the return of borrowed points rule has stopped.

Good luck and so sorry about the wedding. My DD27 was to be in two weddings and her friends had to change them too.
Ok ty will do now wedding venue was just stringing them along but common sense told me this wasn’t happening two months ago but they wouldn’t listen! Too much money invested and didn’t want to hire a lawyer! Ty for your understanding!

I had borrowed points sitting in my 2020 UY account Wednesday when they were returned. It was strange bc I thought I was mistaken on available points until I checked the contract activity.

I also booked a stay with borrowed points. The initial stay was for June (booked in December) and was moved to end of July. I had a lengthy chat with the cast member about the process.

There are some interesting restrictions. Our initial stay was 334pts while our July stay will be 296pts. The remaining points went back to 2021 UY and can no longer be used until 2021. Points cannot be grandfathered. Once a reservation is switched, the points go into a restricted status for borrowing. So, if you plan on switching reservations, be mindful of this.

Lastly, a Cast Member shared that the cancellation is not automatic. They do a weekly audit prior to reaching out to inform of the cancellation. She mentioned that she is a member of the team who has to make the calls. She ensured that notes were added to my reservation to show the auditors that the re-booking was from a prior reservation that should be grandfathered. Crazy situation but they are making an effort in ensuring that cancellations aren't sent without first verifying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter