Exercise Regimen To Prepare For All That Walking

Lauren Giddins

Earning My Ears
I want to start walking on the treadmill at the gym so I am prepared for three days of walking around the theme parks. Does anyone have a walking regimen that they do to prepare before they go to Disney? Are there any resources that have any walking regimens? Our trip isn't until the end of next summer but I know I need to start early. I haven't been to the gym in awhile but I went today and walked on the treadmill for an hour and now EVERYTHING hurts (my lower back especially). Help!!! :faint:

I walk plenty in my daily life so I don't really go into a routine for that, but I do have lower back issues, so in preparation for a trip I double-down on the stretching/PTO exercises. I do press-ups (where you bend your back, legs on the floor), arm/leg raises where you lie on your stomach, planks (if I feel like it), etc. This all helps keep a strong core and relaxed back for the trip.

For walking, you can easily do 10 to 15 miles in a day if you're a real park commando, so work up to that.

I walk briskly outside every day no matter the weather.
I walk just over 2 miles and it takes 40 minutes.
Been doing it since April 2016 and have lost about 60lbs since then.
I'd say don't overdo it at first.
Why walk for an hour your first time???
Of course everything is gonna hurt when you go from 0 to 60.
Start with shorter and slower walks and when you feel that you can start upping the minutes and the speed.
Disney is a different kind of tiring so you'll still find yourself tired of walking/standing by the end of the day.

Also not only be prepared for the walking but for the standing, maybe stand while watching tv or on your phone. Depending on your fitness level it'll be hard at first, since you have time try and build up to it, don't do too much too soon cause that could lead to injury

I agree with above, walking for one hour (I'd presume briskly) if it was your first day exercising probably isn't a good idea. Did you stretch before and after?

Honestly, don't overcomplicate it. You've got TONS of time, especially since you're only doing 3 days. Start slow, do 10 minutes of walking for a week. Then do 15 the next week, then 20, etc... But stick to it. Stretch before and after. End of next summer is 9 months away, so you've got all the time in the world.

Start off easy with 10 minutes a day. You will find yourself increasing that time fast. 14 months ago I started with 10 minutes a day now I am up to 12 miles a day.

Good for you that you're starting early and preparing for the demands of the trip. You have plenty of time, so as the PPs have noted take your time and go slow. Common mistake is trying to do too much too quickly. I don't have a particular regimen to recommend (I'm pretty active on a normal basis so I don't prep specifically for WDW), but would recommend starting with a short walk or limited time on the treadmill and increasing the distance/time each week leading up to your trip.

People underestimate just how much walking is involved - not only around the parks, but to get to/from transportation, around the resorts, etc. It all adds up. I was shocked after my last trip to look at the distance - 53 miles in 5 days (averaging close to 11 miles a day). By way of comparison - I had a hiking trip in Utah earlier this year and that was 60 miles in 5 days - for a trip that was nothing but walking. Granted, I'm not the efficient person in the parks and take a lot of scenic detours (like the walking path between DHS and Epcot), but I'd have guessed more around 4-5 miles a day rather than double that. You'll feel a even few miles a day if you're not used to it - so excellent idea to get yourself there ahead of time and having the conditioning to fully enjoy the park. Good luck!

I’ll add a quick note about footwear.

It’s as important as your fitness routine for a pain free trip. Choose a pair of shoes that work great for you and make sure they’re worked in before you go.

According to my Fitbit we walked an average of 24000 steps each day for two weeks, and we are not commandos by any stretch of the imagination. That’s converted to about 18ish kilometres daily. Kudos to you for jumping into a fitness routine early but like others have posted, don’t over do it or you’ll dread it and then possibly throw the whole thing right out the window. A leisurely stroll either outdoors or on a treadmill daily will get you ready for WDW.

I second the comment about footwear. Choose wisely and start breaking in your shoes early! I like to rotate several pairs (usually a pair of running or walking shoes, a pair of casual closed toed shoes with good arch support, and a pair of supportive sandals like Tevas). Having several pairs is a LIFESAVER if you're blister-prone. If you're in the market for new shoes, walking shoes tend to have more cushion but less support compared to running shoes. Also, as the nice people at my running store like to say, "Cotton is rotten!" so I'd suggest investing in a few pairs of high quality socks that are made out of something other than 100% cotton, especially since it gets so humid in Orlando!

I really struggle with the treadmill because it gives me shin splits. Someone told me that the surface of a treadmill is like nothing else we would walk on in real life. Depending on where you live, December might not be a great time to start an outside walking exercise regime, but maybe give a mall walk a shot and see if that is less painful than the treadmill?

I second the comment about footwear. Choose wisely and start breaking in your shoes early! I like to rotate several pairs (usually a pair of running or walking shoes, a pair of casual closed toed shoes with good arch support, and a pair of supportive sandals like Tevas). Having several pairs is a LIFESAVER if you're blister-prone. If you're in the market for new shoes, walking shoes tend to have more cushion but less support compared to running shoes. Also, as the nice people at my running store like to say, "Cotton is rotten!" so I'd suggest investing in a few pairs of high quality socks that are made out of something other than 100% cotton, especially since it gets so humid in Orlando!

I really struggle with the treadmill because it gives me shin splits. Someone told me that the surface of a treadmill is like nothing else we would walk on in real life. Depending on where you live, December might not be a great time to start an outside walking exercise regime, but maybe give a mall walk a shot and see if that is less painful than the treadmill?

Rotating shoes and not wearing cotton socks i don't really agree with (I'll bring a couple pairs of the same walking shoe in case of rain but I am the "princess and the pea" when it comes to shoes so I find one pair that works and stick with them instead of bringing several styles. Also I could not live without my 100% cotton socks lol)
But what I fully agree with is the treadmill!
I got shin splints terribly. I also don't have the same gait at all when trying to stay in a small designated space lol.
I have a treadmill but I dread days that I may have to use it like if the weather is just too bad to walk outside.
I walk in the wind, the rain, the heat, the cold, and yep the 8 inches of snow we just got.

I want to start walking on the treadmill at the gym so I am prepared for three days of walking around the theme parks. Does anyone have a walking regimen that they do to prepare before they go to Disney? Are there any resources that have any walking regimens? Our trip isn't until the end of next summer but I know I need to start early. I haven't been to the gym in awhile but I went today and walked on the treadmill for an hour and now EVERYTHING hurts (my lower back especially). Help!!! :faint:

Just leaving Disney and walked our legs off for 10 days with no prior exercise regimen. Of course dh & I are active people, but never walk that many miles every day. If we can do it, anyone can (we are in our 70's). A little sore, stiff (mainly from standing) and tired at the end of each day, but no more than anyone there was saying!

Walking on a treadmill is nothing like 'free walking' - much easier to walk briskly and swing your arms naturally.

Rotating shoes and not wearing cotton socks i don't really agree with (I'll bring a couple pairs of the same walking shoe in case of rain but I am the "princess and the pea" when it comes to shoes so I find one pair that works and stick with them instead of bringing several styles. Also I could not live without my 100% cotton socks lol)
But what I fully agree with is the treadmill!
I got shin splints terribly. I also don't have the same gait at all when trying to stay in a small designated space lol.
I have a treadmill but I dread days that I may have to use it like if the weather is just too bad to walk outside.
I walk in the wind, the rain, the heat, the cold, and yep the 8 inches of snow we just got.

Just saw you post and agree 100%. I hate treadmills and love cotton socks - no synthetics for me no matter what the 'professionals' say!! I, too, stick with the same shoes for 10 days and my feet are just fine!

Get free app MyVirtualMission
Map distance from your house to Disney and exercise your way there - walk , bike, run
Log your distance daily

I did that prior to cruise this year from Indiana to Miami-

Years ago (10) we were going for our 15th anniversary and our boys were 12 and 11. As a family we walked and biked our way down ( I just logged on paper). It was a wonderful way to get in shape and spend time together. We were actually in Family Circle magazine for this- a tiny thing on that with our picture!

Great for you for planning ahead!

One thing that helped me so much is doing Pilates on a reformer. It helps develop your core muscles. You can get one cheap on Craigslist, It helped with the back issue from standing and from walking.
Ever since I was young my back would be the thing that hurt the most and my last tip I could' believe the difference. Started walking 2 -3 miles about 2 weeks before going. I'm 51 and overweight.

If you go morning til night you will log about 10-12 miles.

Good sneakers are a must.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts