Every Mile is a Miracle

Today I am super thankful for this training journal and the way I over share too much about my life because I destroyed my phone this weekend and lost all my pictures. But most of the good ones I have posted here, so yay.

Oh man, I feel your pain. A few months ago I ruined my phone during a kayaking trip and lost about 6 months worth of pictures, which included a spring break trip and ALL of my Dopey/Marathon weekend pictures! Fortunately my friends & I shared memory maker and they had all of my race pics. Such a pain! I'm glad you were able to find some photos here!

That stinks about the phone. That happened to me once too. Ever since then I have my phone auto backup as I would never remember to do it otherwise. Hopefully, this week goes smoother.

Oh man, I feel your pain. A few months ago I ruined my phone during a kayaking trip and lost about 6 months worth of pictures, which included a spring break trip and ALL of my Dopey/Marathon weekend pictures! Fortunately my friends & I shared memory maker and they had all of my race pics. Such a pain! I'm glad you were able to find some photos here!
My little sister had some phone problems a few months back and wound up losing all of her Dark Side race photos from her phone. Fortunately, I had purchased Memory Maker so she has the most important ones of her with Ewoks. If one is going to stop for a lot of race photos, that is a strong argument alone for Memory Maker.

I just realized that I have the Rock n Roll app on my phone, so I'm officially tracking you now. Although with it being a night race in Pacific Time, I might conk out before you finish...

I just realized that I have the Rock n Roll app on my phone, so I'm officially tracking you now. Although with it being a night race in Pacific Time, I might conk out before you finish...
Yay! And since I won't be racing when you are racing I can track you during your race on Sunday!

After weeks of bugging the race director at the Oregon Women's Half for photos and having them tell me that they couldn't upload all the pictures to FB because it only allowed them to upload 150 images to an album (sounds like a personal problem). And then having someone say they went through all the photos and didn't find any of me crossing the finish line (which I knew was a lie because I was the only one coming through and I saw the photographer). They finally uploaded more photos to FB and guess what I found!!!

44028192_1007863139375749_7322395966634459136_o.jpg

After weeks of bugging the race director at the Oregon Women's Half for photos and having them tell me that they couldn't upload all the pictures to FB because it only allowed them to upload 150 images to an album (sounds like a personal problem). And then having someone say they went through all the photos and didn't find any of me crossing the finish line (which I knew was a lie because I was the only one coming through and I saw the photographer). They finally uploaded more photos to FB and guess what I found!!!

View attachment 364147

Ahh I love this!! Look at how happy you are!!

Rock N Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon Recap - 11/11/18

Expo:
We had an insanely busy weekend planned while we were in Vegas, but we made sure to get to the expo first. It was at the LV Convention Center. Pretty easy to get to and parking was free. We grabbed our bibs and went into the Brooks section of the expo. It was HUGE. Brad was like “this seems really big…” and I was like this isn’t even the rest of the expo. Haha. I convinced myself to buy a third pair of the Tie Dye Brooks Launch 5 because they were 15% off and who knows what next year’s RnR Marathon Series shoes will look like. Brad grabbed a tie dye shirt to run and then we got in line. They gave me a free 13.1 pin that looked like my medal because I bought some shoes, which was cool. We went into the main expo and got our 21+ bracelet for our free beer after the race. I stopped by the Sparkle Athletic booth but they didn’t bring any Minnie skirts so the girl told me to just order for expo pick up at WDW for Dopey and keep a look out for Black Friday deals. (I keep forgetting to not buy things right now…) We looked around a little more and then left.

IMG_0102.JPG

Pre-Race:
I was worried about this being a night race. I really didn’t know how to prepare for it, but let me say that I definitely wouldn’t do what I did again. Haha. After the expo, I hit up my old wine shop I used to work at for the bi-annual case lot sale. Which meant I “tasted” a lot of wine and spent too much money. We were home by 9:30pm and my husband made the very wise decision to keep us in that night. I woke up the next morning with a mild hangover and being super thankful that we didn’t go out. We had a busy morning that included going to McDonalds because a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit sounded so amazing, then going to Bass Pro Shop, then meeting my in laws at the wine shop. This is where I start making poor decisions, haha. I never committed to a full glass of anything, just tasters of some beers. But we got some Mac N Cheese from Panera, you know for carb loading reasons. I do not recommend this just hours before a race. Nope. So we left and parked the car as close as we could get to the Strip because you know, they close all the streets for this race! We call an Uber and head towards the traffic. It’s like REAL bad and we decide to get out and walk the rest of the way. At this point, we realize two things. 1. Brad’s 10k start line was like REALLY far away from where we were (2 miles to be exact). 2. His start time was 30 minutes earlier than we thought. So Brad had to BOOK IT to his start line and gets there with 5 other people just as they were taking down the start line! He barely made it, but he did.

IMG_0105.JPG

I got to my start area and dropped off our gear bag and met with a girl I had met in a Disneyland Race Exiles group on FB. We went to the bathroom and then we went to the party area where the band Capital Cities was playing. We had some time before they moved us to the corrals so we just chatted. She commented that I must be a “real runner” because I don’t do run/walk intervals and I don’t listen to music while I race. I mean, okay if you say so. I just like to take in the event I am running in without music. /shrug

We finally get moved up to where the corrals were but it took a REALLY long time and if you weren’t at the front you weren’t getting into any good corrals. There was a lot of waiting and honestly I was getting bored and wasn’t even feeling like running anymore. People were complaining about it being cold. It was NOT cold. It was perfect and I regretted wearing a long sleeved shirt at all. Stupid Rock N Roll race officials and sending out false information about it being “cold and windy”. It was neither of those things. Then some lady behind me was commenting about me wearing the official race shoes. “Oh yeah, I thought about wearing mine but I was not going to break them in on a half marathon.” OKAY. These are my second pair and they are well broken in, please mind your business. Anyway, finally the crowd starts moving and my friend wanted to get to Corral 1, so we pushed our way up and up and up. We made it all the way to Corral 2 which was pretty impressive because I didn’t think we would get that far….

IMG_0113.JPG

Race:
We started right at 5:00pm. This was just a training run for me. I had 9 miles at long run pace scheduled so I was tacking on 2 warm up miles on the front and the back. That was the plan at least… The first two miles I did okay. My friend stayed with me and started her intervals at mile 1. We ran down the Strip towards the Welcome to Las Vegas sign (regret not stopping to take a picture) and then turned around and headed back up the Strip. I ran by the first station that my BIL works at and got a picture with the guys there. Apparently it was his crew but he was in Hawaii so they were like F that guy. Haha. Guys, the Strip is like REALLY long. There were lots of people out cheering us on. I got lots and lots of high fives. I ran up to a guy holding two beers in his hands and tried to get him to give me one, but he wouldn’t. On and on up the Strip we went. There were some great costumes along the way. I was able to see my husband when he was in the finisher chute and gave him a high five! Then you are running on the opposite side of the finishers watching people that were just so much farther ahead of you. Around mile 7 I was just not feeling it. I slowed way down. I think the Mac N Cheese was revolting against me. It wasn’t fun. But I pressed on. They changed the course from last year, so you only got to run on this really small portion of Fremont Street, which is my favorite, and it wasn’t the part under the lights AND they didn’t have any photographers there, so I was really bummed about that. I didn’t fuel up at all during the race which could have also been a reason I wasn’t feeling good. I did take some water and gatorade, but no food. At mile 12 there was someone handing out cups of beer and BLESS THEM they got me through that last mile. Finally I was done. Final time 2:26:09 (goal was 2:22, close enough for me).

IMG_0119.JPG IMG_0121.JPG IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0127.JPG

After:
I walked through the WAY TOO LONG finishers shoot. Grabbed a chocolate milk and chugged it. Got some pictures. Got a beer. And went to find my husband. He was across the street. This is probably the best part of my whole night: I know that I just ran on the Strip but after I was able to walk across the Strip in the middle of the road with NO ONE IN SIGHT. No cars. No runners. No people. I just spun around and around and it was AMAZING. Worth the 13 mile run. Immediately following the race I was like very MEH about doing it again. But thinking back now, next year if I do it, I am doing it at a Party Pace. I am stopping at bars, drinking some beers, having more fun. Tonight is the last night to sign up for $99 so I think I am going to commit. JOIN ME!

IMG_0132.JPG IMG_0136.JPG

30th Annual Turkey Trot 5k - 11/17/18

I ran this race last year and the weather was awful. It was super windy and cold. I had an old lady tell me that I should have more clothes on, like okay. But this year it was perfect!! No wind, sunny, 50 degrees.

This year I got my husband and Bay to both run it. We got to the race with about 15 minutes to spare after sleeping in until 8. Local races really have that advantage. While I don’t think Coach was too thrilled at the idea of me racing this, I had a title to uphold. Last year I got 2nd place in my AG and I wanted that again! I knew I could never beat the girl who gets first place as she ran a 22 minute 5k last year, but second could still be mine! So I didn’t have a time goal, but a placement goal. My husband was going to be kind enough to stick with Bay during the race and run/walk with her since this was her first 5k!!!

IMG_0228.JPG

Race:
The race started promptly at 9 and the fast people took off. That was not me, but I started at an 8:30 pace and felt really good. I pac manned a few people and found myself all alone for basically 2.5 miles. You forget how hard racing a 5k is until you race one again. Woof. I was feeling tired and bored to be quite honest for most of the race. I scoped out the crowd before the race and the girl who got 1st place last time and then another girl who looked like she could be in my AG and both of them were well ahead of me. I knew I had third place and I could have slowed down but the pace felt okay. I finished in 26:26 which is a new course PR for me! (Last year I finished in 27:53.)

Brad and Bay were still pretty far out from the finish so I waited by the finish line and watched people come on it. Finally we realized they were gonna be the last two people and I asked the finish line people not to mention that to Bay. They cheered so loud for it when she ran across finishing right before her dad! Their time was 49:47! She walked a lot of it, but she finished and that made me happy.

IMG_0257.JPG

As for age group awards: we each got 2nd place in our age groups!!! Turns out the girl who got 1st place last year turned 40 and isn’t in my AG anymore! WOOT! It was a good day for everyone! Although, Bay no says she doesn’t want to do a 5k ever again!! LOL. I am sure we have all said that before.

IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0270.JPG

Time: 26:26
Pace: 8:42
Place: 19/40
AG: 2/3

Great race reports! RnR Las Vegas is on my bucket list. At the expo for RnR Philly this year they had a giant display for Las Vegas and it was soooo tempting. For some reason I had the idea that it was a NIGHT race, like it started at midnight or something. If it's 5PM that's much more reasonable. Your pics make it look amazing and if I were you I'd buy 10 pairs of those shoes, they are the cutest ever. Also congrats on a) your AG prize and b) having a whole family that runs!

RnR Vegas is on my bucket list too! I would love to party run it with you next year, but next fall is already looking very busy, so we'll see if I can swing it.

I love the smile on Bay's face as she's crossing the finish line! Congrats on the age group awards!!

:banana::banana::banana:

Haha. I convinced myself to buy a third pair of the Tie Dye Brooks Launch 5 because they were 15% off and who knows what next year’s RnR Marathon Series shoes will look like.

This seems like a very good idea. Next year's shoes might be ugly.
And if they're not, you can buy next year's shoes too.

She commented that I must be a “real runner” because I don’t do run/walk intervals and I don’t listen to music while I race. I mean, okay if you say so. I just like to take in the event I am running in without music. /shrug

Oh hey cool, I'm not a real runner.
Sorry, this "real runner" thing drives me crazy. Some people run better when they take walk intervals. Others find that it's easier to just run without changing their stride. Some people prefer to "get in the zone" with their own music. Others feed off the race energy and enjoy themselves more when they're taking in the atmosphere with no interruptions. It doesn't make any one group real runners and the other group not real runners.
We go out (or to the nearest treadmill/indoor track), we run, that makes us real runners.
Ugh.
Okay, rant over.

Finally I was done. Final time 2:26:09 (goal was 2:22, close enough for me).

Yay! For a race where you didn't fuel well and couldn't get into the corral you wanted, that's really close to goal! Congrats!

I walked through the WAY TOO LONG finishers shoot.

Yeah, we're gonna have to have a conversation about NYC next year. You thought that finisher chute was long ... if you check a bag in NYC, it's at least a mile. If you don't have a bag, poncho is a slightly shorter exit, but it's still long (I took that exit after my shift ... woof). Sorry.

I know that I just ran on the Strip but after I was able to walk across the Strip in the middle of the road with NO ONE IN SIGHT. No cars. No runners. No people. I just spun around and around and it was AMAZING.

This cracked me up. I know the feeling of streets being too crowded to move. Seeing a normally crowded street empty is the greatest feeling in the world.

Tonight is the last night to sign up for $99 so I think I am going to commit. JOIN ME!

So ... I ate lunch yesterday with someone who ran this year. She does these races for charity. I told her I'd like to do RNR Vegas some time and she said I should do it next year.
But ... it's two weeks after the NYC marathon, so I'm not convinced that I can do it. I know NYC is a hard course, but since it's my retirement marathon, I'm still planning to somewhat race it. So I dunno.
Put me down as a "maybe, but I'm not ready to commit". If I do run it, I might go the charity route. Not sure.

Congrats to the whole family on the 2nd place AG awards. The fun thing about smaller races is that sometimes there aren't more than 3 people in your AG, so you're guaranteed an award. I love races like that. They make me feel fast.
I hope Bay changes her "no 5K" mindset soon! 5Ks can be fun!

Final time 2:26:09 (goal was 2:22, close enough for me).
I reckon your pre race fuelling strategy (beer and mac'n'cheese) probably has a 10 minute time adjustment, so in theory you were ovr 5 mins up on target!

I am doing it at a Party Pace. I am stopping at bars, drinking some beers, having more fun.
Noe that seems like a great way to run the strip! You'd need to pace it well though - peak too early and you are in for a long and messy finish...

So many things to comment on...

You looked so cute at the expo- love the stripes/jean jack combo!
As soon as you said "Panera Mac & Cheese," my stomach churned. I love it, but too much dairy before a run! You're brave!
People can be dumb, keep your rude comments to yourself.
That half sounds so fun, but the stip is looong. And that traffic... (I think I mentioned I was in Vegas when it was going on several years ago. So hard to get anywhere!) Congrats on finishing another half!

Go Bay Go!!! So sweet! Congrats to her on finishing her first 5k! And congrats to mom & dad too! Nice a/g finish!

Great race reports! I've not thought much about the RnR Vegas, but after reading your report, I'm thinking, "I should totally do that run!" My daughter, Sophie, also swore she never wanted to do another 5K after her first Turkey Trot and we've done them every year now for the last 10 years. :D

Congrats on the awesome 2nd place AG finish as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter