Every Mile is a Miracle

Not to ruin the suspense in your journal... but CONGRATS ON YOUR PR!!!!!!!!!

party:

Can’t wait for your vacation to be over so we can hear all about your big day!

Congratulations! Can't wait to hear!!!

You are a rock star!

Dancing banana time!!!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

THANKS LADIES! I am back now and finishing up my recap now! They don't have race photos up yet and I am kind of sad about that, though! Ah well.

Oregon Trip Part One - I LOVE THE PNW

We drove into Vegas Friday night with the whole family, dogs and all. It was the start of Bay's fall break and after my Oregon trip we were headed straight to California for a few days. My flight didn't leave until 10:30am on Saturday, so we got to sleep in AND I even got my 2 mile shake out run in! I was ready to do this thing. My husband dropped me off at the airport and since I somehow miraculously packed everything I needed into ONE BACKPACK (seriously, who am I???) and I had my boarding pass printed out, I just went straight to security and then to the bar. @Keels gave me a 5 beer rule for the day, but also said that airport and airplane drinks don't count because you're in no mans land. Bless.

IMG_8755.jpg

After my mimosa breakfast I decided on more caffeine and headed to my gate. This is all I had with me along with the panic of not having everything I needed.
IMG_8756.jpg

I got on the plane and had the whole seat to myself, YESSSSSS. I stretched out and read my book in peace. It was glorious.
IMG_8758.jpg

Fall had definitely arrived in Oregon and I was so happy to be there for it.
IMG_8768.jpg

I arrived in Portland at 1pm on Saturday. My friends I was spending we weekend with picked me up from the airport and we went out for some lunch in Portland at this cute container place called The Zipper that had a bar and 4 restaurants. I got a Basic B*itch cocktail which was delicious and some pizza. Yum. #CarbLoad4Life

56055217888__6F909D62-FAC2-423A-8F50-BD8353122663.JPG

IMG_8766.jpg

After lunch we headed down to Corvallis where we were staying for the night. They had plans to go watch WSU play OSU so they let me come along with them. The only other football game I had ever been to was an Army Navy game years ago. It was a lot of fun and the team my friends were cheering for won, so that was cool. After the game we went out with their friends who were also in town for the game. It was about 10pm when the game got over and I don’t think this little college town was ready for the crowds. It seemed impossible to find a place that could accommodate a large group. After walking to two different places we finally ended up at a place called The Angry Beaver. I had switched to water halfway through the football game which was fine because the beer list sucked at this place. I got some fried raviolis though. Finally after eating and hanging for a bit we left to get some sleep. We walked back to our hotel and I got my stuff ready for the race. We were asleep by 12:30. Not bad.

IMG_8769.jpg

The stadium was cool and the sunset (not pictured to the left) was AMAZING.
IMG_8771.jpg

Drink #2 of the day (not pictured: drink #3 and a LYFWTR)
IMG_8772.jpg

Oregon Trip Part Two - Oregon Women's Half Marathon

The next morning we got up and my friends were on the fence on if they were gonna run the 5k and decided to pass. We got ready, grabbed some coffee, and headed out. It was about an hour drive from Corvallis to Eugene. On the drive down, I had a Nuun, coffee, Little Debbie donut, and a Honey Stinger waffle. And of course because race day anxiety isn’t enough, we accidentally went to the wrong place and had to back track about 10 minutes. I still made it to the race on time but it freaked me out.
IMG_8777.jpg

I didn't get any full length pictures of me before and there are no race pictures up yet, so this is what you get. Haha.
IMG_8778.jpg

The weather was perfect to run in. It was about 49 degrees at 9am at the start (and 93% humidity, but I couldn’t tell). I ended up wearing my tank top, shorts, ProCompression socks, and my Tie Dye shoes. It was cold but I knew I would regret wearing a long sleeved anything. I had about 20 minutes to spare when I got there so I went to the bathroom one last time and then got my phone and watch all set up. I decided to listen to music during the race so I got that going. There were a bunch of bees flying around so I spent a lot of time running away from them. The last thing I needed was to get stung before the race. Finally it was time to start. I had my watch set for Intervals and the paces I wanted to hit during them. My goal of 1:59:59 was pretty hefty but I wanted to give it all I got.

Start
I started the race and immediately got passed by a group of people. I told myself it was fine because it was. I wanted to start off slow and easy.
Mile 1 - 9:19

Race adrenaline kicked in and I kept speeding up. No matter how good I felt I knew I had lots of miles ahead of me and I had to slow it down if I wanted to hit my goal.
Mile 2 - 9:05 (18:24)

I was finally warmed up and ready to get going. This section was weird because we had some out and backs and turning around is the worst.
Mile 3 - 9:15 (27:39)

I felt great. I was staying on pace for the most part. I snagged some water from an aid station at about 3.5 miles. At this point we were off the running path and heading to the road. I had the course memorized which was a smart move. I liked knowing what was happening ahead.
Mile 4 - 9:09 (36:48)

We were running on the road towards oncoming traffic on a two lane road. It was pretty annoying and I had to slow down behind people before I could pass them.
Mile 5 - 9:15 (46:03)

Apparently I was feeling really good. I do remember seeing the sign for mile 6 and throwing up in my mouth a little bit.
Mile 6 - 8:54 (54:57)
**HELLO IN RACE SUB ONE HOUR 10K**

I knew an aid station was up ahead so I was just cruising along.
Mile 7 - 8:58 (1:03:55)

Took a walk break, ate a Gu, drank some water, and started back up. BUT the Gu sat in the center of my chest for far too long. It was terrible. Plus there was a little hill in this mile. Blah. I was losing my steam.
Mile 8 - 9:30 (1:13:25)

The downhill helped me speed up a bit then I turned a corner and saw another hill that was bigger and I was so done with everything.
Mile 9 - 9:11 (1:22:36)

Stupid steep hill.
Mile 10 - 10:07 (1:32:43)

And then @Keels texted me at like juuuust the right moment to help me refocus AND Party on the USA came on my mix. It was exactly what I needed.
Mile 11 - 9:18 (1:42:01)

I got a side stitch which hit me pretty hard on my right side and I stopped immediately to walk. I rubbed the spot a bit and started running again.
Mile 12 - 9:51 (1:51:52)

Glorious final mile (plus .1). Light. Tunnel. End. I could feel it. But I was so out of steam. I willed my legs to do anything and I just couldn’t. But I TRIED. I didn’t give up on myself I just didn’t have anything else left. I was pretty much running alone these last 4 miles. I saw a girl in front of me I couldn’t catch and no one behind. I have no idea where I was in the scheme of rankings. I was just so happy to be almost done.
Mile 13 - 9:30 (2:01:22)

Sprint to the finish!
Mile 13.1 - 9:09

Finish: 2:02:11
Pace: 9:20
Place: 30/160
Age Group Place: 3/22

This is race was a pretty small — only 160 people ran the Half Marathon (152 of them were women). I feel like maybe I should have tried harder to hold back at the start and maybe I would have had something left in the tank in those final miles. I also feel like I need to work on fueling during the race. That Gu messed me up and I’m pissed about it. All in all, I am SO HAPPY with how well I did! I have a new, amazing PR. I shaved 20 minutes and 11 seconds off my current PR. I ran with everything I had in me until I couldn’t run anymore. I learned some things about myself. And I know the next time I run a Half Marathon with a time goal that I WILL hit that sub 2 hour.

After the race, I went to get my timing print out and the girl was like "Oh and you got third in your Age Group, here's another medal!"
Me: :hyper:
IMG_8783.jpg

So I walk to the back tasting room (I did not mention this, but this race started and ended at a winery tasting room) and I was given a free mimosa and breakfast. I grabbed my mimosa, which she heavy poured OJ into, yuck, and then started texting my friends. Not gonna lie, was a little bummed they weren't at the finish waiting for me. Especially when I told them I would be done 2 hours after 9. I just wish someone familiar was standing at the finish line. C'est la vie. But then, in true Jenna fashion, I started to cry. I was just so overwhelmed. Running does that, you know? I felt proud and happy. It was a great feeling.

IMG_8780.jpg

IMG_8787.jpg

Race photos STILL aren't up. I will post those when they are.

Thanks to everyone who sent me texts of encouragement before, during, and after my race! Much love to this community of amazing people. <3

So incredibly strong! Congrats on earning every bit of that race during those tough summer training months. You beat the training plan projection (2:03:08) and improved your PR by a whopping 14%. That's an incredible drop in time. I'm very proud of you.

WebbedPhysicalHagfish-size_restricted.gif

Congratulations on a fantastic race!!!

I like your pre race hydration routine

I had a GU once during a race and also had issues with it - hated the consistency. I now just stick with what I know...

And awesome result, looking forward to seeing you smash that 2hr goal
Next half!

Congrats on an awesome race and new PR! I was obsessively following along (sorry about the text onslaught, but I forgot to bring a book with me so I had nothing else to do on the train) and was so proud of how you were doing!
It definitely sounds like you know what you need to work on to get that sub-2hr PR next time, and I'm excited to see you achieve that!

You totally rocked your race!!! I am so happy for you!! Way to go girl!
Thank you!!!

So incredibly strong! Congrats on earning every bit of that race during those tough summer training months. You beat the training plan projection (2:03:08) and improved your PR by a whopping 14%. That's an incredible drop in time. I'm very proud of you.
Thanks Coach!!! This was probably the hardest easy thing I have ever done and I feel like everything beyond this will require a LOT more work.

Congratulations on a fantastic race!!!
Thanks lady!

I like your pre race hydration routine

I had a GU once during a race and also had issues with it - hated the consistency. I now just stick with what I know...

And awesome result, looking forward to seeing you smash that 2hr goal
Next half!
I don't usually have an issue with Gu but I don't think I want to risk it ever again. I want to blame it for my miss of my sub 2 this round. Gotta blame something, haha. ;)

Great race! You will definitely be hitting a sub 2 half next time!
Thanks!!

Awesome race and recap. Sub 2 is in your grasp for sure!
Thank you!!

Congrats on an awesome race and new PR! I was obsessively following along (sorry about the text onslaught, but I forgot to bring a book with me so I had nothing else to do on the train) and was so proud of how you were doing!
It definitely sounds like you know what you need to work on to get that sub-2hr PR next time, and I'm excited to see you achieve that!
Thank you so much for texting me during the race. I really wanted to reply because your text about my corral placement made me laugh, but then I just kept saying it over and over in my head. It helped a lot. <3
One of my rare talents ... I can just sense when people need text messages! :rotfl2:
My brain was basically like "paging Keels to the courtesy phone, Jenna needs you."

Congratulations!
Thanks!

Thank you!!!

Thanks Coach!!! This was probably the hardest easy thing I have ever done and I feel like everything beyond this will require a LOT more work.

Thanks lady!

I don't usually have an issue with Gu but I don't think I want to risk it ever again. I want to blame it for my miss of my sub 2 this round. Gotta blame something, haha. ;)

Thanks!!

Thank you!!

Thank you so much for texting me during the race. I really wanted to reply because your text about my corral placement made me laugh, but then I just kept saying it over and over in my head. It helped a lot. <3

My brain was basically like "paging Keels to the courtesy phone, Jenna needs you."

Thanks!

I workshopped quite a few texts before I settled on the one I sent you ...

“Fight for that inch!”
“Left foot, right foot!”
“Running is stupid, amirite?”
“SMILE”
“Did the race start yet?”
“Good luck tomorrow!”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter