Ever do this before?

tgarre06

DIS Veteran
So I’m booking a last minute cruise, and it’s cheaper to book two separate inside staterooms with 1 adult and 1 child in each. Essentially getting an extra room for $200 less. I know we are very unlikely to get the rooms together, but has anyone ever booked a throw away room to save money? $200 is $200! TIA!

Who says "throw away room"? Our first cruise is was $84 more to get two connecting inside staterooms (with 1 adult and 1 child in each) than for the 4 of us to be in one stateroom. It was great to have two bathrooms to get both kids cleaned up after the pool / Castaway Cay / etc. With any luck you can get connecting staterooms.
However, if you have to get the rooms separate (as long as one of the inside staterooms sleep 4 and not just 3) why not do it to save the money? Only down side is two separate lifeboat stations potentially.

So I’m booking a last minute cruise, and it’s cheaper to book two separate inside staterooms with 1 adult and 1 child in each. Essentially getting an extra room for $200 less. I know we are very unlikely to get the rooms together, but has anyone ever booked a throw away room to save money? $200 is $200! TIA!
I don't understand. There are 4 of you (2 adults & 2 children)? And you're thinking about booking 2 rooms over one? "$200 less" Less than what?

If you could provide actual costs, it would clear things up.

Cheaper than what? You call it a throwaway room, but if you aren't planning on using one of the rooms, is there actually space for all of you in the one room to sleep?

Sorry, let me clarify. It’s $4200 to book 2 inside staterooms guaranteed with 1 adult and 1 child in each. It’s $4400 for 1 inside stateroom guaranteed with 2 adults and 2 children in it. Our kids are little and always end up sleeping with us on vacation being in an unfamiliar place, so it doesn’t matter if there is more sleeping areas (pull down bunk). If we couldn’t get the rooms connecting, we would end up sleeping in just one of the rooms. But I figured it would be worth trying to get them connecting since we are saving $200 regardless. The cruise has availability across the board still and sails on 2/10.

Sorry, let me clarify. It’s $4200 to book 2 inside staterooms guaranteed with 1 adult and 1 child in each. It’s $4400 for 1 inside stateroom guaranteed with 2 adults and 2 children in it. Our kids are little and always end up sleeping with us on vacation being in an unfamiliar place, so it doesn’t matter if there is more sleeping areas (pull down bunk). If we couldn’t get the rooms connecting, we would end up sleeping in just one of the rooms. But I figured it would be worth trying to get them connecting since we are saving $200 regardless. The cruise has availability across the board still and sails on 2/10.
You know that the first 2 people in any room are charged adult price, regardless of age? Is it still cheaper paying for 4 adults in 2 rooms?

Yes, I know. It

Yes, I know. It’s cheaper.
Well, if it's not important that your two room be next to each other, it's your call whether you want to pay $200 less.

I'd also suggest you be sure to link the two reservations, so that you'll be seated together at dinner.

Being that they are guarenteed there is very little chance to get them connected. I don't know that I would want to bother with it, plus both rooms could end up in different parts of the ship, one could get upgraded, both could none could. Two different life boat stations (and you would have to follow the one to your room), two possibly differnent luggage tags for disembarkation. I don't know alot of extra work overall IMO.

I only book gty and all our rooms have been connected or a few doors down from the other.

Many inside staterooms only have sleeping space for 3. If you get two insides, you'll probably get 2 insides that sleep 3 each, which means you wouldn't all be able to sleep in the same room, which you indicated above that you might want to do.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. Doesn’t seem to be worth the hassle if we weren’t guaranteed connecting rooms.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. Doesn’t seem to be worth the hassle if we weren’t guaranteed connecting rooms.
Well, that's the deal with guaranteed rooms. You agree that DCL can put you in any room. In most cases, people booking multiple guarantee rooms are place near/close to each other. But not always.

for $200 savings? without question. Even if there was no cost savings, I would take the chance just to try and double my room size, and get an extra washroom.

As a party of 4, you're more likely to be assigned to a deluxe inside stateroom, which would have extra storage space and two bathrooms, anyway.

Being that they are guarenteed there is very little chance to get them connected. I don't know that I would want to bother with it, plus both rooms could end up in different parts of the ship, one could get upgraded, both could none could. Two different life boat stations (and you would have to follow the one to your room), two possibly differnent luggage tags for disembarkation. I don't know alot of extra work overall IMO.
We booked gty on our first cruise and I was very surprised and happy that we ended up with connecting rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter