evc ?

MinniMama

addicted to the mouse
We are staying at the beach club with my 77 year old father. He won't get an electric wheelchair for the room but agrees to rent electric one in the parks. My question is can he get an EVC at the back entrance to Epcot or does someone have to run to the front to rent it?

I think you mean an ECV (electronic convenience vehicle) rather than a power wc. To answer your question, yes, you may be able to get an ECV at the WS entrance. Whether you in fact can do so is another question, esp at peak season. If you wish to try this, I suggest getting there early (park opening time at the latest at a non early entry park) and bearing in mind that someone in your party may have to run across to see if you can get one at the main entrance (the wc station is smaller at this entrance) or push a wc in the event that they are out.

I am not sure what your dad's feelings are re renting offsite and why he is against it, but I highly suggest renting offsite. You do not have the angst of availability, esp if you are traveling peak season. You can park hop and know that you are set at the second park. You can go to Downtown Disney or other non-park places and use the ECV. You can drive with the ECV right over to both MGM (there is a path that goes past the Boardwalk to MGM) & Epcot. Also -- and this is key -- the offsite rental ECVs are so,so much better. You can get a 3 wheel style that is a TON easier to drive than the 4 wheel WDW rentals. Backing up into a spot at an attaction is a piece of cake with the offsite rentals. And you have it at night, and if you are at the Beach, you may well want to go to the Yacht or Boardwalk for dinner.

I cannot tell you how many WDW rental users stop me and ask about my ECV when I zip effortlessly into place at an attraction or whatever and they are going back and forth trying to park. The cost is either the same (for a daily rental) or less (if you rent for more than a few days -- for example, it is $199/week from Walker). WDW wants ECV users to be slow and cumbersome so people do not abuse them or cruise thru the parks. The user, however, pays the price as the 3 wheel ECVs are totally superior.

All that being said, if your dad is comfortable with the idea of the WDW ECV, more power to him. Take it slow generally and have him take his time. Avoid the MK your first day as that is the most crowded with the tightest spaces and thus not the best place to get confident using the ECV. Remember to park thinking of how you will get out (back in so you can drive right out). If he can transfer to a regular seat. drive the ECV to face the exit at attractions and then sit in a regular seat if he has trouble in tight places. And I cannot repeat this enough -- get there EARLY. The ECVs go fast.

:wave: Cupcake

Just to add to what cupcake wrote, here is a list of the off-site places that DIS posters report good experiences with..
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

http://www.scootaround.com/ Not much feedback. Several people who reported they had no problems.

Randy's requires that someone be there for delivery and pick up. The rest will deliver to Bell Services and leave it for you.

My FIL finally rented an ecv on the last day of our trip last March. he had been talking about renting one for years, but had never done it. He had little problem learing how to drive it and said it was the best money he spent at WDW. For the first time in years, he was able to be at a park all day and not suffer pain in his hips and knees for the whole night. I'd suggest very stronly renting from one of the off-site vendors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter