EVC options for a 17 Year Old with a limited mobility?

Callalily6

DIS Veteran
My daughter turns 18 a week after we get back from Disney. I know they're sticklers on the age of the renter. I have an issue so that I'm unable to push her this trip (I tore something in my hip, surgery is pending when we return). I'm going to end up in an EVC this trip. I'd thought we'd just get her one too, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

What options do we have? She gets weak if she's on her feet very long. We've been at doctors and she has a combo of things that cause her a lot of pain & draining her energy. She's been looking forward to this trip. It's been a bright star at the end of a very dark, discouraging year. We don't want to cancel. Being there at Christmas would really lift her spirits.

She has a driver's licence. We go in a few weeks and I'm not sure what to do. Will Disney allow her to use an EVC? Are there other options? Thanks for your help.

I do not think that Disney will rent her one - but as far as I know they will not prohibit her for using one if you can find an offsite vendor who will rent to her. I've been told the Randy's will sometimes make an exception. Especially since she's so close to being 18. I've used Randy's in the past and had excellent service from them. I'd just call the vendors, present your case, and hope for the best.

Are you flying in? Perhaps it might be easier to rent one locally and fly with it. I recently flew with mine for the first time. It made travel so much easier having the ECV to get to the gate. As a medical device there is no charge for it to be on the plane.

I think some off-site rentals will rent to older teens like 16+ and being your daughter is so close to 18 the off-site ones might let you do this. but I would be calling them now.

Would she benefit from using a rollator instead? She'd have a seat with her at all times, be able to put some of her weight on the rollator while walking, and you would always be able to board the WDW buses together. With two ECVs sometimes you have to wait for another bus if there's one ECV ahead of you in line or already on the bus.

Last edited:
If you rent one from your home area and plan to take it with you, make sure the rental company is aware you plan to travel with it.

I know for sure that Randy’s does make exceptions for older teens, so they would be your best bet for an off-site rental ECV.
The Disney park ECVs and most of the other companies say in the rental agreement that renters/drivers must be at least 18.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!