European Colleges for US Students?

I’d imagine that it would be pretty difficult for a non-fluent Spanish speaker to pursue a medical degree at a university in Spain. The science classes needed can be a beast when you’re learning them in English, let alone in a foreign language. I had years of classroom Spanish (sporadically in elementary school - enough to know basic vocab - plus class all through middle school and high school), and I definitely wouldn’t have considered myself fluent enough to go to Spain for a degree in anything, let alone a subject that was heavy in the sciences. If she’s really set on school abroad, then I would think that going to an English-speaking country would set her up for the most success.

Regardless of that, since you mentioned that you wouldn’t put it past your daughter to want to just stay in Europe after college and live and work there, I would also recommend that she do thorough research into how she’ll be able to do that legally, because I doubt it’s as simple as moving there and deciding you want to stay.

Like the other posters here, I think that especially if you’re going for a medical degree - or think that you want to, anyways, because a lot of premed students do change their minds and go in different directions - it might make more sense to attend school in the U.S. at a school that’s known for its study abroad programs.

Going to school in the U.S. also wouldn’t rule out her ability to live and work abroad in the future - both in college during a study abroad prgram - and afterwards. A friend of mine did a study abroad program in France, and she did an internship as part of her program. Perhaps with the addition of a couple years of college-level advanced Spanish, she’d be able to do something similar in Spain. There are also companies that have opportunities to work in offices abroad - I know a company my brother worked for offered that as an option for interested, qualified employees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter