European Colleges for US Students?

Lilacs4Me

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have experience with European colleges? DD is interested in exploring the opportunity. She is currently a HS Freshman, but already knows what she wants to do for a career (medicine) and is intrigued by the idea of going to Europe for college. Her friend's sister is a Junior and is almost 100% going that route, so in a year or two I can get advice from them, but for now we are just starting to consider and research the idea!

I'm assuming DD would need a student visa, and maybe a work visa too? Not sure how that all works.

Also, we will have to start looking at financial aid...any ideas how that works for international education?

She would like to look at Spain, Ireland, and England first, although she isn't against pursuing any other country...she just already knows Spanish (has a basic vocabulary thanks to DH's mom, and will have 7 years of classroom Spanish by the time she graduates HS), so she thought that would make things a little easier lol

We are starting our online research, but wondered if anyone had any personal experiences?

Last edited:
In Dublin, Ireland, there are 4 main Universities to study medicine.

Here are the links for the international departments

Royal College of Surgeons Dublin http://www.rcsi.ie/international_students

University College Dublin http://www.ucd.ie/international/study-at-ucd-ie/

Trinity College Dublin https://www.tcd.ie/globalrelations/international-non-eu/

Dublin City University https://www.dcu.ie/international/index.shtml

There are other universities outside of Dublin which have a medical departments, if she is interested in seeing somewhere other than Dublin, let me know and I can give you the names and links to their international offices

My freshman daughter is also very interested in attending college abroad, although she is still not entirely decided on career interests. She is specifically interested in Germany and has started learning the language on her own.

I know next to nothing about what we would need to do to make this happen, and it is very difficult to find information--I've spent a great deal of time looking. So I am following along with this thread!

I don't want to hijack--and someone please tell me if I should just start my own thread--but if anyone has any information on college in Germany, I'd be grateful if you'd post it, although the OP did not specify Germany as one of her daughter's potential choices.

I was so surprised to log into Disboards this morning and see this thread, since this has been on my mind so much lately!

ETA that my daughter is interested in technology, writing, and philosophy. While she loves technology and has a strong interest in it, I'm not sure she has any actual talent in that area and she is not particularly strong in math. She is an excellent writer, and she is already a little mini-philosopher. She is having a hard time trying to figure out a career path based on these interests/strengths.

Last edited:
My freshman daughter is also very interested in attending college abroad, although she is still not entirely decided on career interests. She is specifically interested in Germany and has started learning the language on her own.

I know next to nothing about what we would need to do to make this happen, and it is very difficult to find information--I've spent a great deal of time looking. So I am following along with this thread!

I don't want to hijack--and someone please tell me if I should just start my own thread--but if anyone has any information on college in Germany, I'd be grateful if you'd post it, although the OP did not specify Germany as one of her daughter's potential choices.

I was so surprised to log into Disboards this morning and see this thread, since this has been on my mind so much lately!

ETA that my daughter is interested in technology, writing, and philosophy. While she loves technology and has a strong interest in it, I'm not sure she has any actual talent in that area and she is not particularly strong in math. She is an excellent writer, and she is already a little mini-philosopher. She is having a hard time trying to figure out a career path based on these interests/strengths.

Don't worry about hijacking! I would love to see the answers to your questions too! We can make this a "general" European college thread! :goodvibes

Don't want to hijack--and someone please tell me if I should just start my own thread--but if anyone has any information on college in Germany, I'd be grateful if you'd post it, although the OP did not specify Germany as one of her daughter's potential choices.

take a look at the links I posted above. Ireland and Germany are in the EU so would have similar requirements for international students.

The best way to look is to search university name and international students. Most universities have an international student department.

Decide on a city example Munich

Go to Google and search universities in munich germany for international students

You will then see a list of university names, pick one eg Technical University of Munich

Go to Google and search Technical University of Munich international students
You will then get a link to https://www.tum.de/en/studies/international-students/ which is an English language section on the university website

Just be aware that some European colleges do medical school substantially different than the US. For example, I know that Germany is direct admit from high school, and it is a 6 year program rather than 4 years of undergrad and 4 years of medical school. My daughter thought briefly of college in Germany (which is largely tuition free), but ultimately decided she lacked the language skills to do it. It's one thing to have German language skills acquired in the US, and quite another to speak and listen fluently enough to manage college level coursework in another language. LOL. Her trip to Germany last summer really reinforced that to her. She can "get by" in German, but not at the speed most Germans talk in everyday conversation. :-)

I do not believe there is any financial aid available from the US programs for full time study abroad. And, most foreign universities are going to expect you to self-fund.

Does anyone have experience with European colleges? DD is interested in exploring the opportunity. She is currently a HS Freshman, but already knows what she wants to do for a career (medicine) and is intrigued by the idea of going to Europe for college. Her friend's sister is a Junior and is almost 100% going that route, so in a year or two I can get advice from them, but for now we are just starting to consider and research the idea!

I'm assuming DD would need a student visa, and maybe a work visa too? Not sure how that all works.

Also, we will have to start looking at financial aid...any ideas how that works for international education?

She would like to look at Spain, Ireland, and England first, although she isn't against pursuing any other country...she just already knows Spanish (has a basic vocabulary thanks to DH's mom, and will have 7 years of classroom Spanish by the time she graduates HS), so she thought that would make things a little easier lol

We are starting our online research, but wondered if anyone had any personal experiences?

My kids are HS seniors and going to school in Europe in the fall. They have dual US/EU country citizenship though so it works a little different. I also went to that college as a US citizen but it was 20+ years ago so outdated info there but there was no financial aid for foreign students at that time, at least for me. The cost for a foreign student will depend on the country chosen as will the options she has to apply. I would have her choose a country and start researching that particular country's path and cost to college.

We learned that only AP classes taken in the US meet the requirements needed for my kids to be eligible to apply to the their University of choice. No required AP classes and you can't even apply. Each country will have different rules/entrance requirements which I would look at now to prepare.

I just also want to say that going abroad for University was one of the best experiences of my life and I would recommend it to anyone who has that desire and ability to make it happen. Good luck!

DD is a senior in high school and was very interested in overseas education as well. That said, senior year wore her down and she ended up applying to just one dual (two years in US two in UK) program after all was said and done.

The takeaways I have:
1) the UK schools at least were very open about NO FINANCIAL AID so that's a consideration
2) student visa is required
3) applications are slightly different (Mcgill in Quebec definitely wanted her projected IB scores-she's in the IB program) and the essays for the UK anyway are definitely different than the US essays; some schools seem to be primarily interested in standardized testing...so I'd look at the universities to which she is interested and see if her strengths match their requirements

and a little something extra from touring Trinity in Dublin-the guide said the pretty residence halls had all international students since they were paying top dollar so definitely a double edged sword:laughing:

OP, I have no personal experience, but from what I understand, it is difficult for those who graduate from a university outside the US to be admitted to US medical schools. Many bachelor’s degrees in Europe are 3 year programs, rather than 4 in the American system, and may not have the full course load required for pre-med.

I would look into it and seriously reconsider if your DD wants to take this route to become a doctor. She is probably better off going to an American university and studying abroad for a year or two. It is less problematic with other majors.

If she wishes to practice medicine in the US, I highly recommend against getting education outside of the states. The path to medicine is very different country to country and the US makes transferring credits and testing nearly impossible. I know many doctors who were formally trained in other countries who were forced to repeat training and shell out thousands of dollars to take US medical licensing exams. If she would only want to do her undergraduate degree, I would look into whether or not the pre-requisite courses she takes abroad would even count. I am in medicine and this is one of the main reasons I never studied abroad.

My daughter spent the 2013-2014 academic year at Leeds Metropolitan University (now Leeds Beckett University) in Leeds, U.K.
It was a foreign exchange program. She was attending a California State University, and had to apply to be selected to study overseas.
In this program, she paid her regular CSU tuition to the CSU ($5,742 for the year). Not sure about financial aid, with tuition that low, even with our meager income we did not qualify for any, our FAFSA EFC was $26,000.
Dorms, at least at this University are not owned by the University, they are across the street, and privately owned. Actually, it was a flat with 6 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, and a common kitchen with a small fridge, dishwasher and washer and dryer and ran about $700 a month as I recall. Internet is included. TV is not. And in the U.K. over the air TV is not free, everyone is required to buy an annual license, or prove they don't have a TV. The VISA folks send you a form to fill out to either apply for the license, or state you don't have a TV. They actually sent someone out to inspect the flat because everyone said they did not have a TV, and
Food is not included so budget for that
Her home University helped her get her work visa, which is what you need to be a student in the U.K.
The U.K. requires you to buy into the National Healthcare system if you want a Visa, that cost about $500 for the year as I recall.
Budget for transportation. There is great bus, and train service, and a CHEAP Uber like car service.
Cell phones and service are CHEAP in the U.K. A basic pay as you go smart phone was like $35. I think my daughter spend a total of $100 for the phone, air time and data over the year.
I would set up a joint bank account that you can put money into here, and your child can withdraw money from there.
I would suggest getting your bank to get your child some cash in the local currency because there can be conflicts between U.S. Chip debit and credit cards and U.K. Chip readers.
Make sure if your child has any PINS for credit or debit cards that they are no more than 4 digits. That is all the U.K. is set up for.
I would suggest a few hundred in travelers checks in the local currency for an emergency. This is a back up to the cash, EVERY bank will still cash travelers checks in case there is an issue with your child's debit or credit card.

If she wishes to practice medicine in the US, I highly recommend against getting education outside of the states. The path to medicine is very different country to country and the US makes transferring credits and testing nearly impossible. I know many doctors who were formally trained in other countries who were forced to repeat training and shell out thousands of dollars to take US medical licensing exams. If she would only want to do her undergraduate degree, I would look into whether or not the pre-requisite courses she takes abroad would even count. I am in medicine and this is one of the main reasons I never studied abroad.

I honestly wouldn't put it past her to want to stay in Europe forever, lol, but you have great advice! Thank you! I will definitely have her research these points.

My DH got his undergrad at Emory and then his masters in literature in Paris (Sorbonne). He ended up staying in Paris for another decade and probably would have never come back, but he had a bad divorce and decided to come "home." I sure am glad he did. His experience doing this was nothing but amazing and transformative for him. He loved it (besides the divorce, no one likes that).

Generally, American college grads can go to graduate school in Europe in the same way that they might in the US, but undergraduate is another thing entirely. For one thing, medical school is not graduate school in most of Europe, so US hospitals will almost universally not accept European medical degrees as qualifications; they are going to want that doctor to have continued his or her studies in the US beyond that. To be admitted to a European school, your grades have to be "translated" to the local equivalent, unless you have an IB Diploma. (This is the guide for intl IB applicants to UK universities: https://www.ibo.org/contentassets/5...nal-student-guide-uk--march2016---eng.pdf.pdf. The Irish qualifications guide is here: https://www.educationinireland.com/en/How-Do-I-Apply-/Qualifications-Recognition/)

Also, do remember that unless the student has dual citizenship, getting a job to partially support herself will not be possible, as she won't be eligible for a work permit. (Yes, under-the-table work is still possible, but that's another kettle of worms.)

I have yet to find sufficient information to really understand the differences between the U.S. and the German university systems, but I've read that in Germany, high school students are expected to choose their careers early and begin college on track toward a specific degree. I also read that they don't get as much of a general, "liberal arts" type education in the early years like U.S students are expected to do, that the German schooling system covers this in high school and college is devoted completely to students' major area of study, that there are no electives. I have only read this on boards like this, from people who may or may not know what they're talking about, so I can't be sure.

I'm not sure I'd want my daughter to attend a college where she only studies her major and does not have a well-rounded course load. On one hand, I don't know how much I really got out of all the classes I had to take that were out of my major, but on the other hand, I think it's good to be exposed to a lot of things you might not have even realized you would enjoy. I was an English major, but I really enjoyed the Psychology class I took as an elective, so much that years later I went back to school to study Psychology and am about to get my PhD in it. I don't know that that wouldn't have happened anyway, but exploring lots of different subjects in your early college years might be good for students who aren't clearly focused on one area, like my daughter.

This is a bit in my wheelhouse since I work for a bridging program, not in medicine but in a different health care profession. For us, for any student educated outside of North America, they must go through an educational program to "bridge" their knowledge gaps. The program is very competitive to get into, it's over a year long and it's expensive.

I know for certain medical specialties here in Canada, there is no path for an international graduate. Other specialties, they may be able to match for residencies, or they may have to upgrade their education somehow and then try to match. If you have a lot of physician contacts, it may work out better as I believe if the student has done clerkship placements in North America, a residency match is easier. Don't take this as the absolute truth as I am not totally sure how it works in medicine.

I would highly encourage your child to stay in the US for their undergraduate degree and medical school. Perhaps an exchange semester abroad could be worked out. That way they could experience living in Europe, without the stress, expense and TIME required after going to a med school in Europe and trying to return to North America.

Hope that helps!

Just be aware that some European colleges do medical school substantially different than the US. For example, I know that Germany is direct admit from high school, and it is a 6 year program rather than 4 years of undergrad and 4 years of medical school. My daughter thought briefly of college in Germany (which is largely tuition free), but ultimately decided she lacked the language skills to do it. It's one thing to have German language skills acquired in the US, and quite another to speak and listen fluently enough to manage college level coursework in another language. LOL. Her trip to Germany last summer really reinforced that to her. She can "get by" in German, but not at the speed most Germans talk in everyday conversation. :-)

I do not believe there is any financial aid available from the US programs for full time study abroad. And, most foreign universities are going to expect you to self-fund.
I live in Germany but I am in American and can comment a little bit more on this. As stated above most universities is direct admit to your major. Most US universities your first two years are general studies and then you pick a major. There are no general studies in German Universities or Tech schools. To clarify I am speaking specifically of university level. There are other options in Germany. A requirement for a university slot is An “Abitur”. Now there are other exceptions but I won’t go into those details. Problem is you cannot compare her US high school diploma to a German“ Abitur”. The majority of US high school graduates do not have the requirements to directly under a German university. The best comparison is that a German university student Begins with already an associate level degree. Some US high school graduates may be at this level if they basically have all AP classes. The German school system is very different than the US. students are split usually at grade 5 into different directions. those who at that time have college potential have a different track”gymnasium” school and is substantially faster and more intense than any US high school. Studying medicine in Germany is very competitive and you basically have to have a 1.0 Abitur which is basically like a 5.0 and more. I have never heard of any US high school students going directly to Germany to study medicine usually it’s through cooperation’s with sister schools but then again that’s true medical school which is a different

One thing that might be worth mentioning. It is a HUGE pita for employers to verify overseas educations. It takes forever and some universities will just tell the employer to ask the applicant for a copy of the diploma, etc. It's not an issue really, but often a nuisance.

I live in Germany but I am in American and can comment a little bit more on this. As stated above most universities is direct admit to your major. Most US universities your first two years are general studies and then you pick a major. There are no general studies in German Universities or Tech schools. To clarify I am speaking specifically of university level. There are other options in Germany. A requirement for a university slot is An “Abitur”. Now there are other exceptions but I won’t go into those details. Problem is you cannot compare her US high school diploma to a German“ Abitur”. The majority of US high school graduates do not have the requirements to directly under a German university. The best comparison is that a German university student Begins with already an associate level degree. Some US high school graduates may be at this level if they basically have all AP classes. The German school system is very different than the US. students are split usually at grade 5 into different directions. those who at that time have college potential have a different track”gymnasium” school and is substantially faster and more intense than any US high school. Studying medicine in Germany is very competitive and you basically have to have a 1.0 Abitur which is basically like a 5.0 and more. I have never heard of any US high school students going directly to Germany to study medicine usually it’s through cooperation’s with sister schools but then again that’s true medical school which is a different

My exchange daughter has a mother who is a pediatrician in Berlin....she taught me a lot about how the system works there. It's fascinating to me to see the differences. And, yes, German "high school" is significantly more demanding than American high school (in general). My exchange daughter took the PSAT in America for "fun"and scored at the 75th percentile...in her non-native language with absolutely NO preparation (she showed up and filled in the dots). In Germany, she considers herself an 'average' student....although she is on a college track for sure. She mainly gets 2's (which would be somewhat equivalent to "B's" in the US. I wonder how many US students could take any sort of standardized test in German and score that well?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter