Europa Park Advice

tink2424

DIS Veteran
I'm posting this here since most of you are in Europe but if this is the wrong place please feel free to move. :disrocks:

I'm looking to fly in to Europa Park from the US East Coast (Newark International to be specific) and I'm confused as to which airport is the closest. I think the US airlines don't fly to Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden airport so would I be correct that EuroAirport Basel is the closest international airport?

And then once I have the right airport what is the best way to get to Europa Park? I plan to stay at one of the onsite hotels.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes, Basel is an option as well as Strasbourg.
You can go to Ringsheim/Herbolzheim by train. From there, a shuttle will take you to the resort.

Perhaps this will help a little bit.

There are shuttle services available.

Perhaps this will help a little bit.

View attachment 448997View attachment 448998

There are shuttle services available.
Thanks but this just confused me too... ;-) Most likely I would need to fly to Europe and then to another airport but I'm looking for the closest and easiest way to get there. It sounds like Basil is the easiest to get to Europa Park.

After getting to Basil, how long is it to Europa Park? And is public transportation easy with luggage or should I try to rent a car? Thanks so much in advance!

You will definitely have to transfer as none of these are hubs or likely airports for major airlines to fly to.

What you can do, is use a site like Skyscanner, use Newark as your origin and go through the options one by one to see which days/times will be best for you.

To travel from airport to park, have you checked the website? They have a partnership with Sixt for transfers from the airports above to the park. It's not cheap from Basel and a rental car is probably cheaper.
Basel is 90k, 1 - 1:15 hours by car, but as you are coming from a flight with transfer, from West to East and in an unknown country, it's probably going to take a bit longer.
To be honest, if you are already confused with deciding on which airport, I wouldn't go for public transportation. It will take about 2 - 2:30 hours.

Basel has one confusing downside. It's in France but it's officially part of Switzerland. It is basically one airport with 2 airport codes. With customs between France and Switzerland in the middle of the airport.
When you check Hertz' website, and you fill in the French airport code, you are referred to the Swiss side of the airport.
So if you have landed on the French side and you need to pick up your car on the Swiss side you will have to go through customs there. (As Google tells me ;-) never done this myself )

You will definitely have to transfer as none of these are hubs or likely airports for major airlines to fly to.

What you can do, is use a site like Skyscanner, use Newark as your origin and go through the options one by one to see which days/times will be best for you.

To travel from airport to park, have you checked the website? They have a partnership with Sixt for transfers from the airports above to the park. It's not cheap from Basel and a rental car is probably cheaper.
Basel is 90k, 1 - 1:15 hours by car, but as you are coming from a flight with transfer, from West to East and in an unknown country, it's probably going to take a bit longer.
To be honest, if you are already confused with deciding on which airport, I wouldn't go for public transportation. It will take about 2 - 2:30 hours.

Basel has one confusing downside. It's in France but it's officially part of Switzerland. It is basically one airport with 2 airport codes. With customs between France and Switzerland in the middle of the airport.
When you check Hertz' website, and you fill in the French airport code, you are referred to the Swiss side of the airport.
So if you have landed on the French side and you need to pick up your car on the Swiss side you will have to go through customs there. (As Google tells me ;-) never done this myself )
Thanks! I have traveled all over the world but it seems very difficult to get to Europa Park easily. I may just decide to use the Sixt transport for the pure convenience since I will likely be tired after the flight.

I appreciate all the guidance and the GREAT info on the airport in Basel. I knew I could count on the DIS for help!

As an update to anyone who may search for this thread later I was able to find a flight from another New York airport (JFK but sad since I live 15 minutes from EWR) to fly to Strausborg. Then I'm going to rent a car and drive to Europa Park as I will then be driving through Germany, Luxemborg & Netherlands finally flying home from Amsterdam.

Thanks again for the advice!!!

Then you have to go to Efteling as well. A very charming park near Amsterdam, its core land (the fairy tales forest) pre-dates Disneyland. Absolutely worth it.
And on the way north, you may want to add Phantasialand as well, near Cologne.
Yes! That is why we are ending in Amsterdam as with the rental car and going to Europa Park for 4 days and then see Luxembourg/Germany/Netherlands and then 2 days at Efteling.

Then you have to go to Efteling as well. A very charming park near Amsterdam, its core land (the fairy tales forest) pre-dates Disneyland. Absolutely worth it.
And on the way north, you may want to add Phantasialand as well, near Cologne.

I love it when foreigners describe Efteling as near Amsterdam :) while for Dutch people... it's not! It's about an hour from Amsterdam City center by car.
If you want to go to the other side of the country in the Netherlands, it's about 2 - 3,5 hours by car. So if you drive for an hour, you cross half the country!

Different perspectives :) for Dutch people (at least me) when something is 'near' it's within 15 minutes.

It took me over an hour to go to the theatre this evening and I started and ended in London. So to me Efteling is near Amsterdam. 😂
If only it were better connected by public transport, the bus takes forever.

I love it when foreigners describe Efteling as near Amsterdam :) while for Dutch people... it's not! It's about an hour from Amsterdam City center by car.
If you want to go to the other side of the country in the Netherlands, it's about 2 - 3,5 hours by car. So if you drive for an hour, you cross half the country!

Different perspectives :) for Dutch people (at least me) when something is 'near' it's within 15 minutes.
Definitely it is all about perspective. An hour away from me is still pretty close here in NJ. It can take an hour to go 10 miles some days with traffic. :tongue::tongue::tongue:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!