EU Covid 19 Travel Plan Information For USA Cruisers Planning European 2021 Cruises Updated December 10

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work...andemic/common-approach-travel-measures-eu_en
On 13 October, EU Member States adopted a Council Recommendation on a coordinated approach to the restriction of free movement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

To limit the spread of the coronavirus outbreak, the EU’s 27 Member States have adopted various measures, some of which have had an impact on citizens’ right to move freely across the European Union, such as requirements to undergo quarantine or coronavirus test.

Member States will take the following key criteria into account when considering to restrict free movement in response to the coronavirus pandemic:
  • the notification rate (the total number of newly notified COVID-19 cases per 100 000 population in the last 14 days at regional level)
  • the test positivity rate (the percentage of positive tests among all tests for COVID-19 infection carried out during the last week)
  • the testing rate (the number of tests for COVID-19 infection per 100 000 population carried out during the last week)
Based on data provided by the Member States, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control will publish a map of EU Member States, broken down by regions, which will show the risk levels across the regions in Europe using a traffic light system. Regions will be indicated in the colours ‘green’, ‘orange’, ‘red’ and ‘grey’ (if not enough information is available).

This map will also include data from Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway.

In this map, an area should be marked in the following colours:
  • green, if the notification rate is less than 25 and the test positivity rate is less than 4%;
  • orange, if the notification rate is less than 50 but the test positivity rate is 4% or more, or, if the notification rate ranges from 25 to 150 but the test positivity rate is less than 4%;
  • red, if the notification rate is 50 or more and the test positivity rate is 4% or more, or if the notification rate is more than 150;
  • grey, if not sufficient information is available or if the testing rate is 300 or less.
  • The map will also provide travellers with general information as to the risk level at their destination. Together with the information made available on the ‘Re-open EU’ web platform, travellers should be able to tell whether they can expect to be subject to certain measures if they travel to another region in the EU.
A common approach for travellers

On the basis of the common map, Member States will then decide whether they introduce certain restrictions, such as quarantine or tests, on travellers coming from other areas. Member States have agreed that there will be no restrictions, such as quarantine or testing, on travellers coming from ‘green’ regions.

It is up to Member States to decide what measures to apply on people travelling from risk areas to their territories. This means that some Member States will not apply any restrictions on travel within the EU, while others might decide to apply certain measures, such as quarantine or testing, to travellers coming from ‘orange’, ‘red’ or ‘grey’ areas. Information on which Member States apply which measures will be available on the ‘Re-open EU’ web platform. Member States can also require people entering their territory to submit passenger locator forms, in accordance with data protection requirements.

Measures must not be discriminatory, meaning that they will also apply to returning nationals of the Member State concerned.

Travellers with an essential function or need will not be required to undergo quarantine. While performing their duties, this applies to:
  • Workers or self-employed persons exercising critical occupations including health care workers, frontier and posted workers as well as seasonal workers as referred to in the Guidelines concerning the exercise of the free movement of workers during the COVID-19 outbreak;
  • transport workers or transport service providers, including drivers of freight vehicles carrying goods for use in the territory as well as those merely transiting;
  • patients travelling for imperative medical reasons;
  • pupils, students and trainees who travel abroad on a daily basis;
  • persons travelling for imperative family or business reasons (including members of cross-border families travelling on a regular basis);
  • diplomats, staff of international organisations and people invited by international organisations whose physical presence is required for the well-functioning of these organisations, military personnel and police officers, and humanitarian aid workers and civil protection personnel in the exercise of their functions;
  • passengers in transit;
  • seafarers;
  • journalists, when performing their duties.

REOPEN EU WEBSITE https://reopen.europa.eu/en

WEEKLY UPDATED EU MAP WITH COLOUR CODED COUNTRIES https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid...ly-maps-coordinated-restriction-free-movement

The US would get a big dark 'maroon' on this new color coding system.

The question is, can the controls, including vaccines, bring the rates down enough before next summer? If not, Magic's summer 2021 season might be on the chopping block. Dunno if Disney will want to run it without US guests.

Yeah, not looking good. I'm making a go no-go decision for a 2021 Magic Mediterranean cruise in January. I don't expect the vaccine to be widely available enough to change European regulations so I'll end up punting it to 2022. Bummer.

The US would get a big dark 'maroon' on this new color coding system.

The question is, can the controls, including vaccines, bring the rates down enough before next summer? If not, Magic's summer 2021 season might be on the chopping block. Dunno if Disney will want to run it without US guests.
Yeah, not looking good. I'm making a go no-go decision for a 2021 Magic Mediterranean cruise in January. I don't expect the vaccine to be widely available enough to change European regulations so I'll end up punting it to 2022. Bummer.

Countries outside the EU such as UK and USA are classed as RED right now, which means 14 day quarantine and any other requirements from a particular country.

USA people who intend to travel to Europe need to keep a watch on this website https://reopen.europa.eu/en

This list is current as of November 17 2020
Information for travellers from third countries to the EU

The Council updated the list of countries for which travel restrictions should be lifted. This list will continue to be reviewed and, as the case may be, updated every two weeks.

Based on the criteria and conditions set out in the recommendation, member states should gradually lift the travel restrictions at the external borders for residents of the following third countries:
  • Australia
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Rwanda
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Thailand
  • Uruguay
  • China, subject to confirmation of reciprocity
Travel restrictions should also be gradually lifted for the special administrative regions of China Hong Kong and Macao, subject to confirmation of reciprocity.

Me too~ it would seriously take a miracle to be able to go. I have a late, holiday 2021 out of Galveston that looks, maybe, a bit more hopeful. We shall see...

Weekly Update 19 November 2020

Red = 14 day quarantine for passengers on arrival from Red countries

Orange = No 14 day quarantine for passengers on arrival from Orange countries if passengers carry proof of a negative PCR test result gained within the previous 72 hours

Green = No entry restrictions for passengers on arrival from Green countries

The following counties are Green
  • Greenland
  • One region of Finland
The following countries are Orange
  • Ireland
  • Canary Islands
  • Iceland
  • Some regions of Norway
  • Some regions of Finland
All other countries in Europe are Red

19 Novemner 2020.jpg

Last edited:
Already planned for 2022 implementation, Europe will require Americans to complete on-line Travel Authorization before entering Europe. Fee is about $10.00. Will it inquire and/or require proof of COVID vaccination?

-Paul

Already planned for 2022 implementation, Europe will require Americans to complete on-line Travel Authorization before entering Europe. Fee is about $10.00. Will it inquire and/or require proof of COVID vaccination?

-Paul

What you are talking about is the new ETIAS https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-news/etias-europe-similar-us-esta
That is basically a tourist visa, which is valid for the 26 European countries and will be required for all tourists from outside The EU. That is a one visa for all 26 countries.

What I am posting about is different. With the Covid 19 ravel restrictions you will need to check the requirements of the specific country you are planning to visit. There is no one rule for "Europe" each country has their own requirements. Also if you are planning multiple countries, you will need to check the requirements for each country. Right now countries are implementing online passenger locator forms which need to be filled out before arrival in a country. These are for the Covid 19 travel restrictions. If you visit multiple countries ie 7 days in Italy and then 7 days at Disneyland Paris, you would need to fill out a passenger locator form for Italy and France.

HOWEVER, all this is for travel in 2020 and 2021.

You are planning travel 2022. It is far too soon to start worrying about what may be needed in 2022.

I would say, just know about the ETIAS for now and keep a watch on what happens during 2021. It is very likely that by 2022, the travel requirements will be very different. They may or may not add Covid 19 vaccine or test requirements to the ETIAS, it is far to soon to know that information.

This may be a silly question, but is there a reason Switzerland is not participating here? I know its not a Member State but I seem to remember moving freely between there and Germany a few years ago, so I would have thought they would have a vested interest to opt into this program as well for travel/border purposes.

This may be a silly question, but is there a reason Switzerland is not participating here? I know its not a Member State but I seem to remember moving freely between there and Germany a few years ago, so I would have thought they would have a vested interest to opt into this program as well for travel/border purposes.

Switzerland is a bit complicated. It is not part of The European Union (EU) and it is also not part of The European Economic Area (EEA) HOWEVER it is an associated member of the Schengen Area. Its the Schengen Area membership that allows for the free travel between countries.

Norway is not part of The European Union (EU) but it is part of The European Economic Area (EEA) Thats why it is included in the Covid Travel Plan.

Switzerland is a bit complicated. It is not part of The European Union (EU) and it is also not part of The European Economic Area (EEA) HOWEVER it is an associated member of the Schengen Area. Its the Schengen Area membership that allows for the free travel between countries.

Norway is not part of The European Union (EU) but it is part of The European Economic Area (EEA) Thats why it is included in the Covid Travel Plan.

Interesting thanks - I guess I was assuming the Covid Travel Plan might by default include the Schengen Area. I'll just have to make sure to keep an eye out for Switzerland too.

Now, there are a few big factors between now and next summer that can whip these restrictions around in a major way.

1. The vaccines will start rolling out in the spring - including AstraZeneca's in Europe early next year The virus numbers could come down rapidly before next summer.

2. The new US administration and the EU leaders could strike up a friendlier tone. If the US returns to the Paris Climate and Iran nuclear deals, we might see a different approach to how they treat the borders. And maybe a more coordinated approach to allowing a travel/cruising restart.

3. Cruise companies need the summer season in Europe dearly. (And in Alaska too.) They make 60%-70% of their annual profits in the summer. They won't let it go down without a fight.

It's a very fluid situation. If you are itching to travel next summer - I know we will be - keep your options open. You know - before the whole world is on the road in 2022!

Weekly Update 26 November 2020

Red
= 14 day quarantine for passengers on arrival from Red countries

Orange = No 14 day quarantine for passengers on arrival from Orange countries if passengers carry proof of a negative PCR test result gained within the previous 72 hours

• Greenland
  • Ireland
  • Canary Islands
  • Iceland
  • Some regions of Norway

26 November .jpg

This list is current as of November 26 2020
USA people who intend to travel to European countries other than UK and Republic of Ireland need to keep a watch on this website https://reopen.europa.eu/en

USA people can travel to UK and Republic of Ireland, there are no travel restrictions. HOWEVER a mandatory 14 day quarantine is required. Passengers are required to complete an online Passenger Locator Form which is checked at passport control. This form requires a location where the passenger will complete the 14 day quarantine as they will be contacted. There are fines for those who do not comply with the 14 day quarantine.

Based on the criteria and conditions set out in the recommendation, member states should gradually lift the travel restrictions at the external borders for residents of the following third countries:
  • Australia
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Rwanda
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Thailand
  • Uruguay
Travel restrictions should also be gradually lifted for the special administrative regions of China Hong Kong and Macao, subject to confirmation of reciprocity.

Last edited:
So strange I haven't heard any media in NL about this system. We are only referred to our national guidelines.

So strange I haven't heard any media in NL about this system. We are only referred to our national guidelines.

There is very little about it in Ireland as well. I just know about it as I follow lots of Irish media and journalists on Twitter. My mom only watches the main Irish TV news at 5.30pm every day and she didn't know about it until I told her. I think they don't want people to know about this so that people don't travel.

Weekly Update 3 December 2020
Combined indicator: 14-day notification rate, testing rate and test positivity

Red = 14 day quarantine for passengers on arrival from Red countries

• Greenland
  • One region of Norway
  • Ireland
  • Canary Islands
  • Iceland
  • Some regions of Norway
  • One region of Denmark

December 3.jpg

This list is current as of 3 December 2020
USA people who intend to travel to European countries other than UK and Republic of Ireland need to keep a watch on this website https://reopen.europa.eu/en

USA people can travel to UK and Republic of Ireland, there are no travel restrictions. HOWEVER a mandatory 14 day quarantine is required. Passengers are required to complete an online Passenger Locator Form which is checked at passport control. This form requires a location where the passenger will complete the 14 day quarantine as they will be contacted. There are fines for those who do not comply with the 14 day quarantine.

• Australia
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Rwanda
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Thailand
  • Uruguay

Weekly Update 10 December 2020
Combined indicator: 14-day notification rate, testing rate and test positivity

Red
= 14 day quarantine for passengers on arrival from Red countries

• Greenland
  • Some regions of Norway
  • Ireland
  • Canary Islands
  • Iceland
  • Corsica
  • Some regions of Norway
  • One region of Denmark
  • One region of France

december 10.jpg

This list is current as of 10 December 2020

• Australia
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Rwanda
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Thailand
  • Uruguay

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts