ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEES FIRST

Thank you so much, sincerely. I'm an essential government worker for NYC, and while I'm not medical frontline, I'm in non-emergency services and my agency is playing a mission critical role at this time in serving the public, educating them and connecting them with the help they need. Your words mean an awful lot to me, I don't think it's a cliche at all.

Not at all to take away from the painful sacrifices and the physical and mental toll on our healthcare workers, but a lot of essential work is going unnoticed. City employees here are getting infected and dying at a staggering rate, especially MTA transit workers, who probably have the most dangerous jobs outside of hospitals right now. At my own agency, I see the daily lists of people who have called out sick for days and days, knowing they're likely either hospitalized or quarantined, and seeing my friends and people I trained on them hurts like you would not believe. At another site I was at to train temps last week, I saw a memorial wall for people from another agency who have passed that reminded me exactly of 9/11. My team has been in and out of WFH, essentially on call 24/7. The stress we're under is horrible. I don't say this for a pity party but to explain what a lot of us are dealing with right now. I'm immensely proud of our staff and have a passion for civil service. I love my hometown and I wouldn't want to do anything else at this moment in history.

I absolutely concur with this. I'm a state employee in California, I'm essential, but I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home. However, many agencies at the state level and for the counties and cities are getting sick. DMV is having people drop like flies. Sacramento County's social services departments can't keep enough people in the office. Regional transit is suffering losses. This takes nothing away from the police officers, EMTs, paramedics, firefighters, doctors, nurses, home health care workers and everyone else who is required to go somewhere other than their house for their jobs. I know a lot of people don't consider a lot of the behind the scenes public employees essential, but they are. And their workforces are getting sick, and some people aren't coming back.

Also, reports on our morning news are reporting how many grocery store clerks are getting sick. They are definitely essential in my mind.

This sounds like a great way to cause riots at turnstiles, with everyone segueing over who is “essential”.

I’m an essential worker. I haven’t stopped during the whole pandemic, I’m working longer hours than ever and don’t get to see my family the way I used to. Some days I’m starting work at six am, other days I’m working until 1am. All whilst supporting a teacher wife and looking after a toddler when the wife is virtual teaching classes online.

But here’s a catch: I’m an accountant for a recruitment company. I’m not really “essential” am I? So if you only let essential people in... how do you define essential? Where does it stop?
I think you've hit on something. My business is considered "essential" - I work for a large home improvement company. However, I'm not on the front lines, I'm blessed to be able to work from home. So the term "essential" is quite subjective. I just hope whoever wants to go gets to go and that Disney comes through and makes it as safe as possible for the cast members and the guests. And I hope the guests can abide by any rules set forth to make it as safe as possible for everyone.

My wife and I both work at a Veterans Medical Center. She is a Doctor and I work in Nutrition and Food Services. And we have both been swimming in the deep end of the Corona Pool for some time. That being said, while we do appreciate the thank you's we are both of the nature that it is our job, these are our patients and we have to care for them. If not us who else. Don't really have a choice (moral) have to be there for the Men and Women who risked much more than we have for our nation. I really don't feel free stuff or discounts are necessary.

My DH as an essential worker would say that he is just doing his job now offer him a discount and he might perk up his ears in interest. He didn't even pick himself up anything at the sub sandwich shop he and our oldest stopped at today just before coming home from town because he didn't want to spend the extra money to get something to eat when there is food at home. (He is the reason why chances are high when I finally can return to Disney I will be using the dining plan unless I want to eat at the lowest priced counter service location in each park and get the lowest price item on the menu provided he didn't decide it would be even more of a bargain to go off property to a grocery store and get items for packed lunches and suppers along with cold cereal for breakfast in room)

Last edited:
I am a nurse and I can tell you that there is no way that I would want to be one of the first to return to a theme park. I actually feel safer at work as I know the people around me are washing their hands and wearing PPE properly. I get anxiety when I go to get groceries as people are not social distancing, touching everything, and using PPE the wrong way. It will be at least a year until I feel comfortable returning to a theme park. I will travel, but not anywhere that I can’t safely social distance.

I am a nurse and I can tell you that there is no way that I would want to be one of the first to return to a theme park. I actually feel safer at work as I know the people around me are washing their hands and wearing PPE properly. I get anxiety when I go to get groceries as people are not social distancing, touching everything, and using PPE the wrong way. It will be at least a year until I feel comfortable returning to a theme park. I will travel, but not anywhere that I can’t safely social distance.
@TinkFan74 Thank you for what you do! And I totally agree with your sentiments. Just because they tell me I CAN go somewhere/be around others, does not mean I WANT to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter