ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEES FIRST

I also want to thank the REAL essential employees who are in the hospitals, nursing homes, police departments and EMS. I think all of you are truly essential and deserve a to go to Disney World and should get some magic for keeping us safe. I do not want to say that all essential jobs are created equally. I am just saying that there are some of us who do not get to stay at home during this trying time want to experience the magic as much as those who are at home.
I appreciate that you are overworked and stressed about staying safe at this time. I truly hope you get to enjoy Walt Disney World in July. :hug:

Pump the brakes there, front line face to face customer service is not exactly the safety of your own home. Grey areas, case in point.. essential to one may not be to another.
No thanks. I’m considered essential by the government but I don’t deserve jack. I would gladly let first responders go ahead of me and get discounts they deserve over me because of the work they are doing.

Pump the brakes there, front line face to face customer service is not exactly the safety of your own home. Grey areas, case in point.. essential to one may not be to another.
No thanks. I’m considered essential by the government but I don’t deserve jack. I would gladly let first responders go ahead of me and get discounts they deserve over me because of the work they are doing.

I am thankful for all the frontline medical workers and first responders and yes, they are deserving of praise. My nephew is a first responder in NYC. I also think that all essential workers who are working out in public deserve our thanks as well. My husband is deemed essential and was going to work on the subway for the first couple of weeks, until they set him up at home. He's working over 50 hours a week, but I don't put him in the same category as those who are in the trenches and facing the public every day.

To me, the OP was part venting and deservedly so. From what they said about their job, they are dealing with clients face-to-face everyday. While it isn't the same as healthcare workers treating Covid-19 patients, it is putting them and their family at risk. For that, I thank you.

To me, the OP was part venting and deservedly so. From what they said about their job, they are dealing with clients face-to-face everyday. While it isn't the same as healthcare workers treating Covid-19 patients, it is putting them and their family at risk. For that, I thank you.

Completely agree we all owe a lot of thanks to the people who are keeping us supplied with food and medicine and other essentials. I think there is a difference between "venting" (i.e., Covid is awful, I am stressed, and I really want to go to Disney World) to asking for special treatment (i.e, Covid is especially awful for me, so I should get to go to Disney before any of you). I do take issue with latter, and I don't think it is fair to people who are not essential workers but are also having a hard time. I found out yesterday that while I spent weeks burning up with fever unable to do pretty much anything for my kids besides ordering food delivery on my phone from bed, my second grader developed a binge eating problem (we found hundreds of empty food wrappers hidden stashed around the house). The fact that a little kid would be that stressed out from what was happening in our house just broke my heart. Why shouldn't he get to go to Disney World when it opens too just because my work is not "essential"?

Completely agree we all owe a lot of thanks to the people who are keeping us supplied with food and medicine and other essentials. I think there is a difference between "venting" (i.e., Covid is awful, I am stressed, and I really want to go to Disney World) to asking for special treatment (i.e, Covid is especially awful for me, so I should get to go to Disney before any of you). I do take issue with latter, and I don't think it is fair to people who are not essential workers but are also having a hard time. I found out yesterday that while I spent weeks burning up with fever unable to do pretty much anything for my kids besides ordering food delivery on my phone from bed, my second grader developed a binge eating problem (we found hundreds of empty food wrappers hidden stashed around the house). The fact that a little kid would be that stressed out from what was happening in our house just broke my heart. Why shouldn't he get to go to Disney World when it opens too just because my work is not "essential"?

MomOTwins- I am so sorry for what you are dealing with. Hearing about your child's anxiety is truly heartbreaking. I hope you can help he/she ease the stress; it is so difficult seeing your child suffer. My son has suffered with anxiety from an early age and it is always a challenge.

I actually agree with what you said too. In my post below, I said I don't know how we would be able to distinguish between essential worker being more 'important' than other essential workers. I didn't mention everyone else who, while perhaps not essential, are dealing with a multitude of issue, stress, anxiety, loss, etc, but agree that everyone has been touch by what is going on and we al are all in need of some repite.
Should Disney offer this discount only to healthcare workers or extend it to all essential? What criteria determines which essential workers would qualify and how will Disney verify that someone is an essential worker? I can't see this working.

I think sorting out 'essential workers' would no doubt leave a sour taste in others mouths deeming who is more essential than someone else. There are infinite ways many people contribute.

For the OP, I do hope your vacation plans go through in July; it would be a welcomed respite for sure.

Last edited:

MomOTwins- I am so sorry for what you are dealing with. Hearing about your child's anxiety is truly heartbreaking. I hope you can help he/she ease the stress; it is so difficult seeing your child suffer. My son has suffered with anxiety from an early age and it is always a challenge.

I actually agree with what you said too. In my post below, I said I don't know how we would be able to distinguish between essential worker being more 'important' than other essential workers. I didn't mention everyone else who, while perhaps not essential, are dealing with a multitude of issue, stress, anxiety, loss, etc, but agree that everyone has been touch by what is going on and we al are all in need of some repite.

Thank you for your kind words. I guess this is all just a moot point anyway since I really doubt Disney is going to "choose" who can visit first and who can't. If they decide to cut attendance, it'll likely be first-come, first-served like a peak times, or a lottery system for new lands. I just don't see Disney telling anyone they can't come because they aren't an essential worker.

I think it's far more likely we see some sort of discount for medical workers and maybe even for narrowly-defined essential workers, similar to what WDW does for military and FL Residents.

I also want to say, to any essential workers on here, thank you so much for everything you're doing. I know those words can seem hollow given what a cliche they're becoming, but I cannot thank you enough for your bravery, resilience, and compassion. I hope people don't forget how important you all are; I won't.

Thank you so much, sincerely. I'm an essential government worker for NYC, and while I'm not medical frontline, I'm in non-emergency services and my agency is playing a mission critical role at this time in serving the public, educating them and connecting them with the help they need. Your words mean an awful lot to me, I don't think it's a cliche at all.

Not at all to take away from the painful sacrifices and the physical and mental toll on our healthcare workers, but a lot of essential work is going unnoticed. City employees here are getting infected and dying at a staggering rate, especially MTA transit workers, who probably have the most dangerous jobs outside of hospitals right now. At my own agency, I see the daily lists of people who have called out sick for days and days, knowing they're likely either hospitalized or quarantined, and seeing my friends and people I trained on them hurts like you would not believe. At another site I was at to train temps last week, I saw a memorial wall for people from another agency who have passed that reminded me exactly of 9/11. My team has been in and out of WFH, essentially on call 24/7. The stress we're under is horrible. I don't say this for a pity party but to explain what a lot of us are dealing with right now. I'm immensely proud of our staff and have a passion for civil service. I love my hometown and I wouldn't want to do anything else at this moment in history.

Thank you so much, sincerely. I'm an essential government worker for NYC, and while I'm not medical frontline, I'm in non-emergency services and my agency is playing a mission critical role at this time in serving the public, educating them and connecting them with the help they need. Your words mean an awful lot to me, I don't think it's a cliche at all.

Not at all to take away from the painful sacrifices and the physical and mental toll on our healthcare workers, but a lot of essential work is going unnoticed. City employees here are getting infected and dying at a staggering rate, especially MTA transit workers, who probably have the most dangerous jobs outside of hospitals right now. At my own agency, I see the daily lists of people who have called out sick for days and days, knowing they're likely either hospitalized or quarantined, and seeing my friends and people I trained on them hurts like you would not believe. At another site I was at to train temps last week, I saw a memorial wall for people from another agency who have passed that reminded me exactly of 9/11. My team has been in and out of WFH, essentially on call 24/7. The stress we're under is horrible. I don't say this for a pity party but to explain what a lot of us are dealing with right now. I'm immensely proud of our staff and have a passion for civil service. I love my hometown and I wouldn't want to do anything else at this moment in history.

Yes thank you for this, my husband is essential also in NYC not in medical and agree totally.

As a fellow NYC resident, I say a heartfelt Thank You!

I appreciate the modesty, and I agree first responders (in some areas...) had it the most rough, but anyone over the last month who had to go into work to talk to the public face to face without company supplied masks were in just as much of a risk. Again, like I said, and like the part of my last post that was disregarded, this is exactly why none of this would work - different people define essential employees differently.

Oh my gosh, I totally agree with all of this. My heart and gratitude go out to all essential workers: frontline, medical, and others. Obviously, some jobs are more high-risk than others, but essential is essential and I'm so glad that people are avoiding turning it into a competition here. DH is a dentist and he has volunteered to work every day throughout the entire pandemic seeing patients with emergencies that would otherwise land them in the ER (where nobody wants to be right now). The problem is that SO many dental offices have closed their doors, so he is also seeing other dentists' emergency patients and even overflow from urgent care offices. It's a nonstop stream of patients every single day. I am constantly conflicted with pride for his contributions and concern for the risks, but he doesn't want me to talk about it because he's afraid that it would be "taking something away" from ER doctors and nurses, EMTs, etc. It's been such a relief to read others' comments here and to know that I'm not alone.

Edit: I know my post was a little off-topic and I apologize for that. I just wanted everyone to know how comforting your comments were today.

Of course i add my boundless thanks, and praise, to ALL still having to work, and have to do so by going out and about (don't forget - a LOT of folks still HAVE to work, but are doing so from home!) -whether your job title says "essential" or not, or if you are front line health car care workers or not, if you ARE still working, and having to go out and about to do so, you obviously ARE deemed essential by someone, somewhere. And therefore deserve all of our thanks, and praise.

In recognition of that, I have reached out in my own community to recognize, and hopefully make feel seen, validated, and thanked, several groups which to me, might get overlooked and not thanked enough, or at all. Having been a "background player" for many years in my organization, I personally know, and have felt, how that can happen. And while I'm sure they, nor I, never begrudge "the frontliners" from getting recognized, and thanked, it still feels nice when somebody sees YOU, for who YOU are, and what YOU have contributed. I thanked both with words, and with actions, and donations. Those were my postal carriers, a local organization that renders all kinds of services and goods to seniors, the County-run disabled transportation I take, and the garbage and recycling folks. I also donated to the Jersey4Jersey fund that held a fundraising TV show last week. And the times I have ordered in to help support local business, I made sure they were the smaller shops, and generously tipped the delivery people. The same with grocery delivery people. I chose these things specifically because I have, do, or will, utilize them, and also think they might not be as "recognized or thanked" as others. Just IMHO. Wish I could thank, and support more, but I did, and do, what I can, when I can.

I may not have a lot, but what I do have, I feel compelled to share. Always, but especially at a time like this. And what you get back will ALWAYS outweigh whatever you gave out.

Thank you again, all who continue to work "out and about" so that the rest of us can stay (hopefully) safely at home during the roughest parts of this scourge!

Last edited:
I appreciate the modesty, and I agree first responders (in some areas...) had it the most rough, but anyone over the last month who had to go into work to talk to the public face to face without company supplied masks were in just as much of a risk. Again, like I said, and like the part of my last post that was disregarded, this is exactly why none of this would work - different people define essential employees differently.
I’m with you partner. I hope we ALL can enjoy Disney sooner rather than later.

Sorry, I don't understand: Why would these essential employees, unable to stay home and putting themselves in harm's way by potentially being exposed to the virus every day, want to be the first to go to an EVEN MORE crowded place filled with people from potentially even more infected areas while touching hundreds of foreign surfaces every day?

Sorry, I don't understand: Why would these essential employees, unable to stay home and putting themselves in harm's way by potentially being exposed to the virus every day, want to be the first to go to an EVEN MORE crowded place filled with people from potentially even more infected areas while touching hundreds of foreign surfaces every day?

Because some people value the freedom to make that choice themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!