• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Erm..where to change diapers on airplane?

Ithastobe

Mouseketeer
I have a rather dumb question (forgive me, first time flying with children). Where do you change their diapers? The bathrooms are small, and I think would scare the pants (ha ha) of my little one. She just turned 3, but still in diapers. Do you just do it on the seat next to you? Disposal?

Sorry about this question, but it has been nagging at me where the best place to 'do the deed' would be.

Thanks!

Let me say that I have flown with my DD who is 2.5 years old 3 times and I have never had to change a diaper on a plane. So you might be worrying for nothing. I always made sure she had a fresh diaper when boarding the plane and then changed her again between flights or when we got to our destination. I always figured if she needed changed in flight I would do it in the bathroom or ask the flight attendent if there was a roomier place to do it.

I second the suggestion that you make sure your little one has a dry diaper before boarding. I have three DD's and we all travel together along with my DH so we always have at least 5 seats on the plane (at least three being together) so I usually change pee-pee (for lack of a better term, LOL) diapers there. One time, however, there was a particularly stinky diaper so I asked the flight attendant where I should change her. She set up a blanket at the front of the plane in front of the boarding door and had me change her there. She also gave me a bag for diaper disposal. To my horror, though (being a regular on the budget board) she threw away the blanket that she'd put on the floor for me to change the baby after I'd used it. If I'd known she was going to throw it away, I would have taken it as an extra stroller blanket, LOL.

We found out the hard way that having a little one buckled in for that long in one position often meant leaky diapers, so we started using an overnight diaper on flights, which worked much better.

Take the baby for a change right before boarding, so that he/she is dry at the start. Put the child in the most easy-access clothing you have, and carry lots of wipes and plastic bags that will seal, so that if you do have to change a messy diaper at your seat, you can contain the odor AQAP. (If the fasten seat-belt sign is on, you won't be able to get up to do the change.) Wide-body aircraft usually have changing tables in the WC, but narrow-bodies often do not. If you are lucky enough to get a plane that has a WC for disabled access, there will be a second outer curtained area meant for parking the wheelchair or helper; the floor there is a perfect spot. When possible, I always bagged the debris immediately and delivered baby back to Dad, then returned to the WC alone to wash my hands and properly wipe down the changing pad, etc.

The last time we flew home from Disney, my not yet potty-trained 3 yr. old had a very stinky diaper mid-flight. We headed into the bathroom and thank goodness it had a fold down changing table. That bathroom was small! The open changing table took up most of the room but it was a lifesaver. This was a newer plane so I'm not sure if all planes have these but it's worth checking out.

LOL tinaluis---same thing happened to me. My 2 yr old had horribly stinky diaper. I asked the attendant and he said I could change my ds right next to the restroom--we were in the back of the plane. It was right where the attendants seats fold down for take off and landing. He gave me blanket, I chnaged my ds. Put the stinky diaper in a bag he had given me and when I asked where to put the diaper so it would be cleaned before use again--he just held ou the trash can. There was nothing on the blanket but I know no one wants to use it til its been cleaned but dang its not toxic....lol.

I had to change a very full, stinky diaper on a plane once during a flight with my first DS. WHAT A NIGHTMARE!! There wasn't ANYWHERE to lay him down and he was such a squirm. I ended up sitting on the toilet seat with him in my lap while I struggled with the diaper. He screamed bloody murder the entire time. It was horrible. I'm not looking forward to the plane trip THIS year with my current 1-yr old!!

Throw away dirty diapers in the (vomit) bags --they don't leak and they contain smells well.

edited for spelling

There are fold-down changing tables above the toilet in the restrooms of all the planes we've flown in. Never had to use it, but I was glad to see it was there just in case we had a stinky diaper mid-flight!!

I always seal stinky diapers in a zip-lock type plastic bag. It seals in the order real well. I always have some of these in the diaper bag.

I've never encountered a changing table on a plane when I've needed one. I just went to the restroom and did the best I could to negotiate the small space. If you have one of those plastic pads from when your little one was a baby, that could be a good thing to have to lay across a toilet lid. I'd use the best pull up style pants I could find. I think those are easier to change in this scenario.

... have come into contact w/ human waste if it is at all avoidable, because they also have to handle food. That's why they always hold out a new trash bag wide open for you to drop whatever it is, inside. Facilities for washing one's hands on planes are not the very best, so I can understand the caution. It does make them look a bit stiff, but most FA's I've encountered have been very helpful.

With a child that close to 3 you could use pull ups - not for training but for ease of changing as you can do it standing up in the bathroom. I also recommend a clean diaper before boarding and a crossing of fingers! The larger planes have the fold out changing table in the restroom but I don't think a 2 or 3 yo would even fit on it. The ones I have seen/used were very small - more for an infant.

Don't worry about it - bring some diapers and a ziplock, change the child before boarding and enjoy. We mom's can handle anything right??

TJ

Tj--standing would work if you just had a pee-pee diaper but some poo-poo diapers my ds has had (and esp the one on the plane) was definately a lay down job, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter