Epilesy at WDW

Eleda

Earning My Ears
Hi, both me and my daughter has Epilesy. We both can get seizures because of the heat, and if we get tired. Does anybody on this board has any ideas, or experienses with what we can do?
I was told from one Lady that we could go to Guest relations to get a Handicap Pass?

And what is GAC?

Any answeres higly apreciated.

Eleda
Thank you !

GAC is a Guest Assistance Card. It is not a pass and it doesn't allow you to wait a shorten or elimitate waiting in line. It is a card that lets the CM (cast members) know what sorts of assistance you need.
Just go to Guest Services in any of the parks and explain your needs to them. The CMs there should be able to come up with some accomidations for you. The GAC will be good at all the theme parks until the day you leave. They can make the GAC for up to 6 people.
A few other things that will be helpful:
- if you can go at a time when it is less busy, you will be spending less time waiting in line. Those less busy times are usually also during the cooler months.
- get to the park as early as possible during the day as you can. Even during the summer or during the busiest times of year, you can see a lot of attractions with a short wait in the first 3 hours after the park opens. Also, going early in the day or in the evening, it is less hot.
- use Fastpass. You can get fastpasses free. You put your park ticket into the Fastpass machine and get a Fastpass with a time printed on it. When the time comes, you return to the attraction and you will get into the attraction with a 15 minute or less wait.
- if you need a cool, quiet place to rest/lie down, there is a First Aid station in each park.

Eleda,
Both of my children have epilepsy too. My son seizes everyday, so I am very concerned about the excitement being overwhelming for him. We plan on taking it slow & letting the children go at their own pace.
I suggest you take frequent breaks. Do you carry diastat in case of a prolonged seizure? If not, please ask your doctor for it. It will save you an ER visit. Also, drink plenty of water. Even slight dehydration will bring on seizures.

Have a great time, don't forget your meds, & take lots of breaks. :earboy2:

My little cousin, Paul who is 4, has epilepsy also, he suffers from multiple seizures a day, they last from 30-40 sec. and have been starting to knock him off of his feet. We will be going to Disney July 24th Augst 1st, which is actually during his birthday, July31st. My aunt told me about this section of DIS, since my whole family is active in his situation. We have decided to try out the GAC this year since his seziure are so bad especially when he's tired or its hot! So thanks for all the info, I keep finidng new stuff and will keep checkin in here until we leave? Anyone with any info on what helps kids with epilespy in disney is a help since this will be the first time they are pretty bad seizures? We have already thought of like cool washclothes to freeze the night before and keep on his back durning the day! Any info reguarding special things or the GAC for epilsepy would be appreciated!!! Thanks

KTink14 said:
We have already thought of like cool washclothes to freeze the night before and keep on his back durning the day!
Instead of waskcloths, you can get "cooling bandanas" (to find them, so a google search for those words) or you can find them in the camping or sporting goods area of stores like Walmart.
You can also make them. Click here for instructions. They are a fabric tube that contains water absorbing crystals. You soak them in water to activate the crystals and they give off coolness for hours. You can re-wet them any time you want.

I second the "avoid dehydration" advice.
Also, try to keep to his normal sleep/wake and medication schedule as much as possible.

The hottest and busiest time is the middle of the day. If you can get to the parks early in the day, you can go on a lot of attractions with little or no wait. By mid-morning, when the parks are getting hotter and busier, you will be ready to go.
Some middle of the day things to do - take a ride on the monorail. You can ride it to Epcot or to the MK area resorts. You dopn't necessarily even have to get out, but the MK resorts have very nice large lobbies where you can sit/look around and avoid the sun and heat.

Thanks for that Cooling Bandanna's tip, we will defintely be looking for those in Walmart and on google if we cant find them there!!!!!! Thanks so much!

I found one of the cooling bandanas (with Mickey Mouse print fabric) :earsboy:at the main street gift shop at Magic Kingdom. I would call ahead to make sure they still have them.

I do welding on theatre scenery and that is where I first used these, before that we just tied wet bandanas aroung our necks to keep cool.

I hope you have a great trip. Thankfully, I don't have seizures, just occasional panic attacks. The first aid center is a good place to go if you just need to lie down and recover. They are very understanding and will not call an ambulance, unless you really need to go to the hospital.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter