EPIC Disney Vacations of History: July 2012 VS. May 2013 -- 6/2: NEW INTRO

Cinderella16

DIS Veteran
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome...

Greetings beautiful DIS World!

Before we get into all the formalities, let me preface by saying that 1 part of this TR is long overdue! 10 months overdue to be exact! While I have written 3 other TRs over the years, I have been on a bit of a hiatus from the DIS--you know life sometimes gets in the way (hate when that happens), but I am back now, armed with a brand new laptop (thanks DH--I whined & he listened), and ready to share our latest (albeit old) adventure with you, yes YOU!

I want welcome you to this very unique trip report of sorts where I will take you through the details of our July 2012 trip as well as our May 2013 trip simultaneously. You may be asking, “How will she do this?” The truth is, I am not even sure yet, but I think some color coding may be involved, so just go with it.

Originally, this was just going to be a May 2013 Trip Report called: The Comeback Kids: The Mr. & Mrs. Return in May—but I had a change of heart and decided to change things up a bit. Read about my revelation For now, read about the title change here.

Since I have been MIA from writing a TR since about 2010, I figure it is time to reintroduce myself to all you lovely people.

For starters, my name is Julianne and I am a self-proclaimed Disney planner extraordinaire. Like for many of you, Disney is my obsession. I love everything from the movies, parks, and history. While, I have always loved Disney, the true obsession is thanks to my husband, Justin, and his family.

Before we get into the EPIC battle that is July 2012 vs. May 2013 and since the title of this TR includes the word, History, I figure this is as good of a time as any to share my Disney history with all of you! Think of it as the pre-show before the big game!

My Disney Timeline

My Disney history begins when I was 3 or 4 years old when we took a massive family road trip to Disney. By massive, I mean that my mom, dad, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, and I all piled into a van and drove nearly 24 hours to the most magical place in the World. Unfortunately, I do not remember much of that vacation except having the chicken pox. Yes, ladies and gentleman, my first Disney experience involved me being sick. They tell me we visited Magic Kingdom and Epcot (obviously as there were no other parks at that time!) I was also told we camped at Ft. Wilderness, although I do not remember it. I do recall meeting Smee and it is one of my earliest memories that I can remember, not just about Disney, but my life in general. Here is a very blurry picture of my dad and I meeting Smee—my very first character interaction!

dishis3.jpg

When I was 10, the same group from above, minus my brother and sister and add a new little cousin, all made the road trip down again. This time we visited Magic Kingdom and the fairly new MGM Studios. We stayed with family, and only made two trips to visit these two parks. Here is me and the new little cousin, Joey, outside of Tomorrowland Speedway. Bonus if you can find the Hidden Mickey!

dis5.jpg

Fast forward to 8th grade graduation and my parents allowed me to go on vacation with my best friend as my graduation present. Again, we stayed off property with her grandma at her timeshare home in the Disney area and visited Magic Kingdom, MGM Studios, and Downtown Disney. Here we are in front of the old landmark of MGM Studios, the Chinese Theater (I am on the right).

dis8.jpg

In July 2004, I was a sophomore in college getting my education degree, and had been dating my DH for two years, he invited me on his family's vacation to Disney and I was thrilled since I hadn't been there since 8th grade! We visited all 4 parks and stayed off property renting a house in Celebration, Florida. Here we are so young and in love at the Magic Kingdom:

IMG_0124.jpg

Since we had so much fun in 2004, we decided to go once again in July 2005. DH had decided to surprise his family with this trip for Christmas by making all the arrangements, so naturally, I helped to plan the details...this is when the monster was born. I helped make the ADRs, make our touring plans, and pick which house we would rent in Celebration. We again visited all the parks & of course, had a wonderful time! Here we are meeting Mickey at MGM Studios (still no name change yet!)

Florida2005140.jpg

Now, I was no expert by any means because this was the first trip I planned, but things would soon change because in 2006, I joined the DIS and life as we knew it, would never be the same!

TR005.jpg

I miss the LGMH..anyone remember those?

2006 was the planning year as we needed to save money for another Disney trip. Afterall, I was still in college at this point, so we know how limited funds can be during that time! I began reading trip reports day and night! There is just something therapeutic about sharing Disney trips--I still love escaping to these boards and reading everyone's experiences, it really is like going on vacation all over again. Not to mention, I feel I have gotten a lot of my Disney knowledge, trip planning advice, and recommendations from some of the TRs on these boards. I always find it interesting to see how others "do" Disney! I poured over the DIS, gathering as much information as I could to plan an ultimate 2007 trip, not realizing that DH was true planner of that vacation as he had bigger plans than I could have ever imagined!

In June 2007, DH's family and I found ourselves back in Disney, staying off property and visiting all the parks once again. It was on this trip, that DH pulled off the ultimate surprise and proposed in front of Cinderella's fountain. Read all about that trip here: Our Magical Trip of a Million, Dreams, Wishes, & Surprises- Our June 2007 Engagement.

Here we are minutes after getting engaged:

IMG_1415.jpg

In June 2009, we returned as husband and wife for our honeymoon. This was our first trip just the two of us, and the first time staying on property. We stayed at the beautiful Grand Floridian and vowed to never ever stay off property ever again. Read all about that trip here: The Mr., The Mrs., and the Dining Plan - Our June 2009 Disneymoon. One of my all time favorite Disney pictures:

Camera344.jpg

In May 2010, we took another couples only trip, this time staying at Wilderness Lodge. Just like always, we had a wonderful & magical time. Read about it here: The Mr. & Mrs. Meeting Mickey in May - May 2010.

Image0164.jpg

We were beginning to think that we would never need vacation any place else because after all these years, we still were not sick of Disney—we kept finding new things to experience and enjoyed experiencing our favorites year after year. It was in 2011, we made the best decision of our lives and decided to join the Disney Vacation Club! Our Home Resort is Saratoga Springs (although we have yet to stay there!).

This brings me to this EPIC double trip report highlighting our 2012 and 2013 Trips—LET'S GET READY TO RUUMMMBLLLEEEE.....

The Starting Line Up:

First up, in this corner, wearing BLUE we have July 2012: :cheer2:

Who:

::MinnieMo Me - Julianne - Disney planner extraordinaire of this and all our family's Disney's vacations. Lover of Disney, the Chicago Bulls. Administrative assistant by day, but the dream job would be a Disney cast member. My favorite ride is Splash Mountain or Test Track and favorite character is Cinderella, duh.

::MickeyMo DH - Justin - Bless his heart for putting up with my Disney obsession, when in all actuality it is family's vacations that me hooked on this magical drug called Disney. He isn't obsessed per say, but he does love his Disney trips (just in a different, more normal way than me!) His day job is an IT professional (I truly have no idea what he actually does), but his dream job is to work IT for Disney or be an Imagineer. I knew I married him for a reason. His favorite ride is Soarin' and favorite character is Donald.

Also joining us for the first time since 2007 were members of DH's family:

:earsgirl: DMIL - Loves all things Disney and will go with any plan we put in place. Loves palm trees, and if she could move to Florida, she would in an instant.

:earsgirl: DAunt - I am almost 100% sure that Disney is her favorite vacation spot in the world; also lover of palm trees; just like her sister.

:earsboy: DUncle - Bless his heart for putting up with three Disney loving women on this trip. I think he would get a kick out of my obsessive planning tendencies--either that or he thought I was absolutely insane. In any case, I know he enjoys Disney too, just in a more healthy manner.

:earsboy: Dcousin - 13 years old - I love that he doesn't think he is too old or cool for Disney (as many kids his age often do). He will still meet characters, do all the rides, and he is actually very knowledgeable about the parks--probably a lot more than the average 13 year old. It made me happy that he still loves Disney as much as he used to when he was a little kid!

Florida2012-262.jpg

DBeaker – Our mascot

Florida2012-886.JPG

When:

July 12 - July 24, 2012

Where:

Bay Lake Tower (July 14-21) & Disney's Vero Beach Resort (July 21-23)

Florida2012-246.JPG
Florida2012-2770.JPG

Why:

DH and I had a lot of points saved up since joining DVC, and we had never stayed on property with our family before. Since DH's family loves Disney as much as we do, and we hadn't been on a trip together since 2007 when DH and I got engaged , we decided it was time for another fun-filled family Disney trip. SO, since I was still a teacher at that time, we could only take summer trips, we decided to rent a 2BR (Two bedroom) villa for all of us to stay in at BLT.

And in this corner, wearing PURPLE, we have May 2013. :cheer2:

Who:
See above for descriptions & pictures!

Me - Julianne
DH - Justin

DYeti- Mascot #1
2013_05_13_13_51-0000.jpg

DDuffy – Mascot #2
2013_05_11_07_58-0000.jpg

When:

May 12-May 19, 2013

Where:

Disney's Boardwalk Villas
2013_05_12_13_24-0001.jpg

Why:

While on our July 2012 trip, we made the decision to return in May 2013 for various reasons which will soon be revealed.

It is time for the Disney vacation battle to begin... Round 1 coming soon!

Thanks for following along!!​

I am in! although worried because I am headed to disney July 2nd- 9th!! I hope my trip doesn't equal dropped mickey bar!

I am in! although worried because I am headed to disney July 2nd- 9th!! I hope my trip doesn't equal dropped mickey bar!

Thanks for joining in!!
Now I feel really bad...I didn't mean for it to sound like July is awful, we have gone many times in the summer since I was a teacher and had wonderful times, but since I am not teaching anymore, we figure, why not take advantage of the "off" seasons!
You will have a great time, hopefully with no Mickey bars on the ground! ;)

I'm in!!

Looking forward to see how your do over goes! Also can't wait to see what outfits Duffy gets... If any... :)

...EPIC CHANGES ARE COMING...

Hi All!

Just letting you know I am about ready to get this show on the road...but I had an epiphany of sorts last night while at the gym...isn't that where all great ideas are conjured?

You see, I felt really badly about not giving our July 2012 trip the same treatment as our May 2013 trip. It was like I was playing favorites between my two children and that just isn't fair since both are unique and wonderful in their own special way. Poor July 2012 wasn't even going to get its own trip report--and I feel like it really does deserve one!

My original intentions were to write a trip report after we returned from the July trip, but I was quickly thrown into a whirlwind of real life when I returned. Between unexpectedly losing a very close aunt and starting a new job in a brand new field, the July TR just never came to be. Before I knew it, it was May and we were leaving on a new Disney adventure.

I decided, while running like hamster on a treadmill last night, that there must be a good way to showcase both trips because both were special in their own ways at their own times! SO forget everything you read before in this thread (not that it will be hard) because I am going to attempt something EPIC...Yes, my friends a DOUBLE TRIP REPORT! Not even sure if that is correct term for this undertaking, but let's roll with it, k?

That means, you, my readers, will get to experience both of our Disney trips at the SAME TIME! I know this is a very ambitious task, BUT I am super excited to get started because it is going to be EPIC.

I know what you are thinking, "Why does she keep using that word in all caps?" Well, my friends, this isn't going to be an ordinary trip report... this is going to be a battle of two trips, each one trying to win over your love and affection. Like I said, forget what you read about July because you should never count out the underdog.

This trip report will loosely be based off of the hilarious Youtube series, "Epic Rap Battles of History". They take historical figures from real life and have them rap-battle against current celebrities, other historical figures, or fictional characters. Some of the battles they have done Obama vs. Romney, Mario Brothers vs. Wright Brothers, Michael Jackson vs. Elvis, and a whole bunch of others. This series is definitely NOT child or work appropriate, as the language is very filthy and the themes are meant for adults only, so navigate with extreme caution if you decide to watch any of them.

Now, just to be clear, I will not be forming my trip report in the form of a rap by any means because, honestly, I am just not that talented. Any rhyming you witness will be completely unintentional. Also, I will not be as vulgar as the Youtube series, well, I will try at least. I am just kidding of course! Moderators, please don't block me! :worship:

So coming soon to this very thread, I will present to you:

EPIC DISNEY VACATIONS OF HISTORY: JULY 2012 VS. MAY 2013

Who won? YOU decide!!!!

Yay Julianne!!! I feel as if it it's been FOREVER since I've read a TR by you! So happy that I get to experience TWO of them in one! I love the recap you gave about your Disney history.

I have a ton of TRs to do too. Disneymoon is unfinished and there's still April 2012 and December 2012 and pretty soon, I will have June 2013! We only went on so many trips because we purposely bought annual passes for the honeymoon and this upcoming trip is a budget one with my family, but I'm behind on TR writing! I think that's okay though because writing them is the next best thing when you can't actually be there!

Two trip reports in one, what could be better? Thanks for sharing your trip stories with us! I look forward to reading about them!

I hope you're having a great day! Jennifer

Yay Julianne!!! I feel as if it it's been FOREVER since I've read a TR by you! So happy that I get to experience TWO of them in one! I love the recap you gave about your Disney history.

I have a ton of TRs to do too. Disneymoon is unfinished and there's still April 2012 and December 2012 and pretty soon, I will have June 2013! We only went on so many trips because we purposely bought annual passes for the honeymoon and this upcoming trip is a budget one with my family, but I'm behind on TR writing! I think that's okay though because writing them is the next best thing when you can't actually be there!
I know it has been forever!!!!
Wow, that is a lot trips!! :) Gotta love those annual passes, we actually did the same thing in July since we knew we would be returning in May. Can't wait to read all about your trip!! I need to get all caught up on your Disneymoon one too!

I'm here to get all caught up!
Yay, so glad you are here!! :thumbsup2

Two trip reports in one, what could be better? Thanks for sharing your trip stories with us! I look forward to reading about them!

I hope you're having a great day! Jennifer
Hi Jennifer! Thank you for joining in!! I am excited to get started soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter