• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Epcot: The UK and England

Geeg

Mouseketeer
I notice on these boards that some people when talking about the UK Pavilion in Epcot mistakenly call it England and wondered why that was?

I am thinking that some people think the UK is another name for England, and if they do, why this is?

Incidentally I have also heard it called Britain - which is again a different thing from both England and the UK.

Conversely I have never heard people refer to the USA pavilion as California, nor Italy referred to as Sicily.

As an English person I am guessing that it is because the elements that represent the UK in the area are predominantly English? As someone from West Yorkshire the whole Yorkshire County Fish and Chips makes me laugh. There is no such place as Yorkshire County!

As an English person I am guessing that it is because the elements that represent the UK in the area are predominantly English? As someone from West Yorkshire the whole Yorkshire County Fish and Chips makes me laugh. There is no such place as Yorkshire County!

I've not been yet so I was wondering that. I read that the architecture is of the style found in Edinburgh though. But wondered if there was enough Welsh or Irish (or indeed Scottish) elements. OR whether people living in America didn't actually know what the UK was and the countries which are part of the Union.

It's right interesting to me - I love finding out perceptions of people on things from different countries.

Honestly, I do think many (possibly most) Americans believe that the UK and England are the same thing.

I remember being in school and hearing different teachers say on many occasions (from elementary through high school) that the UK is the "proper" or "official" name of England and Great Britain was an alternate name for the same thing.

I notice on these boards that some people when talking about the UK Pavilion in Epcot mistakenly call it England and wondered why that was?

I am thinking that some people think the UK is another name for England, and if they do, why this is?

Incidentally I have also heard it called Britain - which is again a different thing from both England and the UK.

Conversely I have never heard people refer to the USA pavilion as California, nor Italy referred to as Sicily.

I guess people don't know the difference between the UK and England. I am sure if I asked people around my town they would have no clue.

It is something I learned in high school, and we just briefly touched on that subject.

I'm sure there are a lot of us that understand that the UK is not just England. I always call it the UK because there are clearly differences. There are store that represent all the countries. I love to go into all the stores and see things from the different countries and talk to the CM's. I do have to say though that my favorite is the store representing Scotland. I would love to visit you country some day.

I think you're dealing with a combination of two things: One - yes, unfortunately there are quite a number of Americans who are not very familiar with World history or fact...so quite a few have never really understood any distinction between England, UK, or GB. They all essentially mean the same thing to quite a few Americans. Scotland for a few might actually be identifiable entirely on its own, with some not even affiliating it with any of the three names, mostly because Scotland has its own special appeal to many Americans. Ireland too is oft thought of as a single location, with likely more than a few Americans not knowing there is a Northern Ireland, and that it is any different from the Republic of Ireland.

The other factor you are likely dealing with is a lazy language usage, and use of the most familiar name as a catch-all for anything similar. You will often hear people use the word 'Coke' to refer to a soda/pop, or 'Kleenex' to refer to any tissue paper. Similarly, quite a few people lazily use 'England' as a general familiar term for anything landing in the general vicinity of the United Kingdom...sadly even sometimes including the Republic of Ireland under the term. Some of these folks might actually know the difference between England and the United Kingdom, just as they know the difference between Coke and Pepsi, and if challenged on the subject, could properly elucidate. However, once relaxed and not concentrating, they would likely lapse back into their lazy usage.

Great Britain is an entirely different issue - that one would challenge many Americans, who never studied British history, and would likely not understand the differences between the initial union of the Kingdom of England with the Kingdom of Scotland to form Great Britain, versus the addition of the English-controlled Kingdom of Ireland some century later to form the United Kingdom. Nor would they likely be familiar with the geography of the region, therefore unfamiliar with the fact that the island itself, upon which sits most of England, Wales, and Scotland, is called Great Britain.

As for Epcot's pavilion...They seem to have primarily concentrated on English styles - with the main street being occupied by buildings meant to represent different centuries of architectural style in each building. A hint of countryside cottage design, and a hint of garden thrown in, the rest of the United Kingdom is mostly represented by the stores, with various trinkets, decor, and goods from Wales, Scotland, England, and Northern Ireland. Pretty hard to fit all of UK's history into one small pavilion...so they've done admirably well given that. I'm sure the Chinese find that pavilion rather lacking in representation of the 33 diverse regions and 56+ ethnic groups spanning an architectural style and history of over 4,000 years...but there's only so much room in the pavilion space!

Great answers. Really clear.

zackiedawg - I love the Coke, Pepsi analogy. I use the generic term "coke" myself, even when I can see it is only Pepsi they do.

Being American I have to agree with the lack of knowledge on the whole subject. For instance, up until a couple years ago (I'm 16) I called all of the United Kingdom England, not because I was lazy, because nobody ever taught me the difference. Coincidently I have a friend who is interested in international affairs and politics, and he just taught me the difference between the UK and Great Britain. (Although He was not aware of the inclusion of Northern Ireland)

To be honest the fault really doesn't lie on Americans themselves, but the curriculum of the American schools. It simply doesn't include the history of the region past our separation from it. Even then it doesn't tell us how England somehow became Britain. Everything I've learned on the subject is self taught out of plain curiosity. And if they do teach it, it's much to late (it'd have to be past the 10th year of schooling) for us NOT to refer to the entire region as England just out of plain habit.

So when in Epcot and you hear the UK referred to as England, don't be offended. They've either never been taught the difference, or are just using England as a sort of umbrella term out of habit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter