Epcot or AK for first trip without kids?

Bellacruz

Earning My Ears
Hubby and I are taking our first trip to DW without kids now that they are are grown. (Last trip was family trip with all of them as adults 2 years ago where my Son proposed to his now Wife :)) We are Staying at AKL which will be the first Disney resort for us ever. Were going in April and plan to do 2 park days and leave a couple days for the resort, pool, dining etc. I started planning MK and Epcot.....but we have never been to AK. Epcot will be during the Flower and Garden Festival. So my question is.....which would you do as a couple without kids? Epcot which we have seen but never during Flower and Garden, or Animal Kingdom? My husband even though were in our 50's loves MK and rides- so maybe AK?

AK has a lot to offer, the Lion King celebration SHow, Avatar Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris...
While EPCOT flower and garden is lovely, I'd recommend going to AK...be sure and get fast passes for FLight of Passage, there are often 3 hour+ waits for this attraction.

You'll get different answers, depending on people's favorite park. Frankly, I'd pick AK. I could spend hours just watching animals behave and interact. I'm especially fascinated with the bachelor gorillas (on the left after you cross the bridge). They often chase each other around, steal favorite toys, etc. and generally act like adolescent boys. When they go in at the end of the day, only one at a time can go in and the CM has to distract all the others. That's because, if two or more get too close to each other, they start playing "push and shove", just like 8th graders at the pencil sharpener in school. Kids would probably be bored while Mom and Dad stand around watching animals, so it's my favorite park when I'm solo.

Since you’ve never been I would hands down choose AK. Go have an adventure with your hubby! Lots of great attractions and rides.

EPCOT (F&GF has a lot going on this year) & AK (fascinating, interesting, & amazing attractions in beautiful settings); just skip MK, imho

Just did EPCOT last weekend just DW & I.
It is lovely to just walk around and enjoy the sites and sounds.
IMHO, skip MK this time and do AKL & EPCOT.

I'd also skip MK this trip and visit EPCOT & AK. AK because you haven't seen it yet & EPCOT because F&G is just so beautiful and best enjoyed w/o kids (IMO).

F&G has food kitchens like F&W Festival. So you have food and beverages all over the place. Plus the musical groups every evening.

Another vote here for skipping MK altogether if you're only doing 2 park days. Epcot & AK all the way!

Do 3 park days! As adults I would LOVE to go to Epcot during that time because it is so beautiful. But if you have never been to AK it is really something you need to do!!

OP, are you going this April or April 2020? If it’s April 2019, you’re FP window opened up 60 days before your arrival so you’re in it now. Offsite is 30 days. So you’re going to want to make your FPs today if it’s this year.

I would take advantage of your location and go to AK. Do the Safari, walk around the park, see the Festival of Lion King and Nemo shows, drinks at Nomad Lounge and then come back at night for Tree of Life projections and Pandora at night. You could try to get in line for Flights of Passage before park close and ride it then.

Agreed, with your location, I'd go to AK. Epcot is also great for couples. I know folks feel the need to go to MK, but in your case I suggest skipping it or just do a partial day. Get a park hopper and get all three.
Spend your first morning in AK, and when the park closes move to Magic Kingdom. Then hit Epcot the next day, and I'd suggest Disney Springs as well.

I love my son, and I love going to Disney with him and my wife.....but recently my wife and I did a couples long weekend trip, and it was a completely new experience. It was nice to just be able sit and people watch without the need to rush from attraction to attraction.

I just really want to thank you all for taking the time to respond.

We ARE going this April, and have FP's for Epcot and MK.....before I even considered AK.

I love all the suggestions, and we will definately consider them all.... thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter