Epcot: Help Beat the Heat Itinerary w/ Toddler

lorilclevelandrn

DIS Veteran
I’m struggling finalizing my plans @ Epcot. I know it will b brutally hot n September and trying to implement the best park strategy to allow a break during peak heat hours. As of now, we have a GG reservation @ 9. I’m continually checking for PPO time but so far, none available. My main question is when would u “plan” to head back to resort and secondly, when would u plan to return for dinner? Lastly, would u walk around the world before dinner or eat dinner on return and then adventure around WS? I have tentatively reserved VP @ 5 and Nine Dragons @ 7 (not my choice my son loves it). We’re considering FEA dessert party here or moving it to another day? Any help is graciously appreciated:)!

Last edited:
We typically do an earlier lunch (11:30) and then try to do a few countries and head out around 2/2:30 for some swimming or naps before dinner.

I would say dinner depends on your kiddo. We've done the early dinner and then walked and got dessert elsewhere - gelato or ice cream in France. My kids couldn't wait until 7 to eat so would be cranky and not up for walking around.

To cool down when in the park, there is a splash fountain/pad. We also usually get a frozen ice in Japan at Kabuki Cafe

I'm torn on the FEA party for my family. I think I would like to do it but not sure we would get the value out of it. I probably wouldn't do it with a PPO reservation as it would be too much on my DS2.

Edit: link to Kabuki Cafe didn't seem to work

I would not recommend a long meal at 9 in the morning. You want to be outside when it’s cool and save the table service meals for when the sun is high in the sky.

My 5 year old really wants to eat @ GG for bfast. There is a 10:30 or 40 available. How much do u think we could get accomplished if I switched reservation times? Kiddos 7,5, and 3.

I would do the 10:40 and knock off some world showcase attractions before that. You could for sure get soarin, spaceship earth and nemo done by then.

I find that ppo is so early ! between leaving hotel, waiting for bus, waiting in breakfast line/security line at epcot and walking in to the restaurant it adds up to a very early morning!

I’m struggling finalizing my plans @ Epcot. I know it will b brutally hot n September and trying to implement the best park strategy to allow a break during peak heat hours. As of now, we have a GG reservation @ 9. I’m continually checking for PPO time but so far, none available. My main question is when would u “plan” to head back to resort and secondly, when would u plan to return for dinner? Lastly, would u walk around the world before dinner or eat dinner on return and then adventure around WC? I have tentatively reserved VP @ 5 and Nine Dragons @ 7 (not my choice my son loves it). We’re considering FEA dessert party here or moving it to another day? Any help is graciously appreciated:)!

OK..firstly, how close is resort to Epcot? This would help to decide how time conscious that idea is your desires.
Next I would definitely walk the world after dinner@ 9 Dragons; cooler time frame and nothing wrong w/ walking a meal off.

I'm confused with the term "WC" and the only place I can visualise is Whispering Canyon which I thought is at WL. VP also has me in clueless land- help!

I'm guessing OP meant WS instead of WC. I wouldn't do WS with a toddler anytime...morning, noon or night. Our kids found it boring, and with limited exception we do too. So it'll really depend on your and your kids' interests.

We also wouldn't take a planned break from the heat. Epcot doesn't really have many rides with outside queues. Spaceship Earth does, but most others are completely or nearly completely inside. You're only outside when walking from ride to ride in FutureWorld, or if you're watching a show such as The Jammitors. So it's pretty easy to avoid the heat. You can also spend time in Club Cool.

We are staying in family suites @ AoA. We have stayed @ POR, WL, and GF n the past. I’m not sure on the distance btn Epcot and resort although it doesn’t look too terribly far on map. This trip will b our 1st with all the littles together which is throwing me off. My goal is happy and not cranky!

I meant WS for World Showcase, editing now:crazy:.

We are staying in family suites @ AoA. We have stayed @ POR, WL, and GF n the past. I’m not sure on the distance btn Epcot and resort although it doesn’t look too terribly far on map. This trip will b our 1st with all the littles together which is throwing me off. My goal is happy and not cranky!

I meant WS for World Showcase, editing now:crazy:.
and does VP mean VN? .. my fingers frequently don't do what my brain ask them too:).

Alright reading many times over.... this would be my suggestion for what it's worth.

Breakfast in the morning @ GC, 9:00 AM, is a given because your family looks forward to it and wants it. I think it's more sensible to get an early ADR over a later one so stick with what you have.
From there I would explore the Future World area as Klayfish suggested.
If you can, grab up some FPs for the area and stay until you are tired/hot/ and return to your resort which seems to be only about 1/2 hr away.

Return in time to eat your meals at WS, explore it if you wish, and then attend the FEA dessert party. It's a lot less hot in the evening as I'm sure you know, OP.
Return to hotel for a well deserved rest.

Last time we visited Epcot my traveling juveniles enjoyed it but probably depends on the age and interests of the children. Much time was spent at the Japan and Germany Pavilions so I've already been told we have to return to France in particular. Kids' ages ranged between 8 and 12.

Last edited:
With little kids, oh who am I kidding, big kids too, we do the EMH park if possible, leave the park just after we eat lunch, take our nap/cool down/shower in the room and then plan to return around 5 to a park.

I agree with keeping you 9am GG ADR. We l e their breakfast, and my DD could not last later before eating. It would involve snacks which would ruin her appetite before the meal.

Epcot is also DD (currently 9) favorite park. She has always loved WS and watching the different shows as well as shopping. She loves to get the passport and makes sure we visit each Kidcot to get it completed. We also download the Perry app and do some of the missions around WS. Lots of fun.

We don’t always return to our resort to rest. DD would nap in her stroller when she was little, but as she has gotten older we find that as long as we take breaks where we can get out of the heat we can keep going. The movies in Vanada, France and China help with this, as well as the American Experiance. And when DD was a toddler, we made sure to have clothing changes and took advantage of the splash pad.

I agree with keeping you 9am GG ADR. We l e their breakfast, and my DD could not last later before eating. It would involve snacks which would ruin her appetite before the meal.

Epcot is also DD (currently 9) favorite park. She has always loved WS and watching the different shows as well as shopping. She loves to get the passport and makes sure we visit each Kidcot to get it completed. We also download the Perry app and do some of the missions around WS. Lots of fun.

We don’t always return to our resort to rest. DD would nap in her stroller when she was little, but as she has gotten older we find that as long as we take breaks where we can get out of the heat we can keep going. The movies in Vanada, France and China help with this, as well as the American Experiance. And when DD was a toddler, we made sure to have clothing changes and took advantage of the splash pad.
Thanks for more confirmation on the value of the movie @ France Pavilion. I seem to recall reading recently they made some changes...perhaps they added seats.

Just to play devils advocate here, everyone said you have to return to the room with a little one. Well, when we went in July heat with a 2.5 year old, we expended more energy (and sweat) walking through the huge monstrosity of a park that is Epcot is leaving, and then returning again just a few hours later for nighttime fun, only to literally run out again because our toddler was screaming and shaking in fear of fireworks. Leaving/returning to the other parks may be fine, but I learned my lesson with Epcot and from now on unless I’m staying at an Epcot resort, I’m coming once and staying once. Epcot really is that big.

Just to play devils advocate here, everyone said you have to return to the room with a little one. Well, when we went in July heat with a 2.5 year old, we expended more energy (and sweat) walking through the huge monstrosity of a park that is Epcot is leaving, and then returning again just a few hours later for nighttime fun, only to literally run out again because our toddler was screaming and shaking in fear of fireworks. Leaving/returning to the other parks may be fine, but I learned my lesson with Epcot and from now on unless I’m staying at an Epcot resort, I’m coming once and staying once. Epcot really is that big.

Epcot is big but AK is bigger.
My strategy for either park is the same no matter what age the guests are for the hot weather season: split the park into 2 sections.
Generally, I follow a 2 admission days per park but if I were rushed for time, and travel to and from was bearable I could see coming in the morning, going back to the resort for a rest when the sun is high in the sky and then returning later in the late afternoon/early evening.

Ok but imo, there’s less to see in AK and unless you’re going to see the new nighttime stuff, youre going to hit up all the AK stuff in a few hours tops anyways so you’re comparing apples to oranges in comparing a day at AK to a day at Epcot.

Ok but imo, there’s less to see in AK and unless you’re going to see the new nighttime stuff, youre going to hit up all the AK stuff in a few hours tops anyways so you’re comparing apples to oranges in comparing a day at AK to a day at Epcot.
That's OK we'll agree to disagree:).

Truth be known we have more fun @ AK and Epcot than MK. I'm sure my traveling children would enjoy MK more if they liked character meets and meals.
As things stand now we run to the "Mountains" in the morning and sometimes return in the evening to do the same rides again. I suspect a Universal day or two is getting added to our Thanksgiving trip.

We love AK too, but mostly to see the animals, which we are done with early enough. We don’t even hit some sections of the park. Epcot is hands down my favorite. Can stay there all day, would rather cool down in the abundant a/c spaces then schlep in and out twice. Personal preferences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter