***Epcot Food And Wine Festival Info 2008***

TDC Nala

1937, what a year that was
Please limit this thread to discussion of the Epcot Food and Wine Festival only.

Read down to see festival events for 2008

This thread is here for reference to the schedules, and for questions about and discussion of the Food and Wine Festival in 2008.

13th Annual Festival Dates: September 26 - November 9, 2008
Theme: Cities in Wonderland: Great Foodie Cities of the World

Festival Dining Events: Last year's events (and known info about 2008) can be seen at http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/epcot/events/

2008 events as posted on www.wdwinfo.com first posted on August 5, 2008:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/epcot/events/index.htm

THE OFFICIAL SPECIAL EVENTS BROCHURE (FROM DDE) IS POSTED ON THIS THREAD:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1927739

oybolshoi reported on 8/29/08 that the French Champagne Brunch scheduled for 10/14/08 has been cancelled.

7/23/08: PatriciaH reported that according to info from Rosa at DDE, the first booking date is moved to August 25, 2008, and the events schedule will be released August 22.

From http://www.thelistareyouonit.com/foodie-fests , reported by lilyv:

"Friday, September 26 - Saturday, September 27 - Bocuse d'Or USA Cuisine Competition
The Bocuse d'Or USA will host a pre-qualifying cooking competition to select a single team of Chef and Commis to represent the United States at the International Bocuse d'Or, held biennially in Lyon, France. Based on the strength of their written applications, eight semi-finalist teams will be selected to compete at the Bocuse d'Or USA Cuisine Competition in Orlando, Florida, on Friday, September 26th and Saturday, September 27th, 2008. The competition will launch the annual Epcot International Food & Wine Festival. The Bocuse d'Or USA Cuisine Competition will be held in an arena‐like setting at Epcot Center's World Showplace. All Epcot Center ticket holders are welcome to attend the competition as spectators. A panel of renowned chefs drawn from the Bocuse d'Or USA's Culinary Advisory Board, including Daniel Boulud, Thomas Keller, Jerome Bocuse, Alain Sailhac, Andre Soltner, and Jean-Georges Vongerichten, will serve as judges and officials. Judges will evaluate each competing team's preparation of one fish dish and one meat dish. The teams will be judged for excellence in technique, flavor, sophistication, harmony of ingredients, originality and presentation. "

APPEARANCES OF NOTE (that aren't listed in the events):
Cat Cora - weekend of 11/1
Andrew Shotts (Garrison Confections) 10/3 - 10/5

World Showcase kiosks (including a few menu items - no wines or drinks yet):

Athens, Greece – Greek Salad, Spanakopita
Barcelona, Spain: Cold Tomato and Garlic Soup, Seared Tuna Loin with Roasted Red Peppers
Bolonga, Italy: Baked Ziti, Mascarpone Cream Puff with Gianduja Chocolate
Boston – Hops & Barley: Boston Crab Cake, New England Lobster Roll
Buenos Aires, Argentina: Beef & Corn Casserole, Grilled Beef with Chimichurri
Cape Town, South Africa: Durban Spiced Chicken, Bobotie with Mango Chutney
Cork, Ireland: Potato Leek Soup with an Irish Cheddar Cheese Stick, Irish Cheese
Selection with Apple Chutney and Brown Bread
European Cheesemonger: Selection of Dutch, Spanish and Italian Cheese
Great Beers
Istanbul, Turkey: Manti with Yogurt Sauce, Baklava
Krakow , Poland: Creamy Wild Mushroom Soup, Keilbasa with Potato Pierogies
Louisiana, USA: Crawfish Etoufée, Seafood Gumbo and Praline Bread Pudding
Lyon, France: Escargot Persillade en Brioche, Quiche Provençal, Crème Brulée au Chocolat Marrakesh, Morocco: Kefta, Spicy Chicken Roll
Melbourne, Australia: Barramundi Fish, Grilled Lamb Chops
Mexico City, Mexico: Chilaquiles, Quesadilla con Chorizo
Montreal, Canada: Cheddar Cheese Soup, Maple Glazed Salmon, Maple Custard with Almond Crumble
Munich, Germany: Spaetzle with Creamy Mushroom Ragout, Apple Strudel
New Delhi, India: Samosa with Tamarind Sauce, Mango Mousse
Reims – Champagne: Selection of Moët & Chandon Champagnes, French Chocolates
San Francisco, USA: Seared Beef Medallion with Cheese Polenta, California Strawberry Shortcake San Juan, Puerto Rico: Mofungo with Shrimp Salsa, Brazo Gitano
Santiago, Chile: Empanada, Dulce de Leche
Tokyo, Japan: California Sushi Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll
Vienna, Austria: Tafelspitz, Beef Goulash
Wellington, New Zealand: Lamb Slider, Kiwi Meringue Tart

Eat to the Beat Concert Schedule:

Concerts are presented at 5:15, 6:30 and 7:45 at America Gardens Theater

09/26 - 09/27 - Big Bad Voo Doo Daddy
09/28 - 09/30 - Sheena Easton
10/01 - 10/04 - Starship starring Mickey Thomas
10/05 - 10/07 - En Vogue
10/08 - 10/09 - Johnny Lang
10/10 - 10/12 - The Smithereens
10/13 - 10/14 - Sister Hazel
10/15 - 10/16 - David Sanborn
10/17 - 10/18 - Jon Secada
10/19 - 10/21 - Spyro Gyra
10/22 - 10/23 - Otis Day & The Knights
10/24 - 10/26 - Exposé
10/27 - 10/28 - Kool & The Gang
10/29 - 10/30 - Boyz II Men
10/31 - 11/02 - Atlanta Rhythm Section
11/03 - 11/05 - David Cassidy
11/06 - 11/07 - Night Ranger
11/08 - 11/09 - Los Lobos

Food and Wine Festival Frequently Asked Questions

1) Does it cost extra?
There is no extra charge, beyond regular admission, to enter any part of Epcot during the Food and Wine Festival. Food and beverage samples from the World Showcase kiosks are pay-as-you-go and cost anywhere from $2 to $7 each. The special events are prepaid and can cost, per person, from about $40 to over $300 for the Victoria and Albert's Signature Dinner. Epcot admission is required to visit the World Showcase and the Festival Center. Park admission may also be required for some of the prepaid special events.

2) Do they have anything free?
There are free culinary and vintner demonstrations. Samples of food and wine are given out at the demonstrations. The food ones take place in the Odyssey restaurant; the wine tastings take place in the festival center. (In 2008, it is apparent that all free events will take place in the festival center). The festival center is in the former Wonders of Life pavilion. A festival guide and schedule book will be available to pick up at Epcot. In addition, the demos for the day are usually posted outside their respective venues. Guests wishing to attend the free demos should plan to queue up at least 30 minutes prior to the announced time on weekdays, 45 minutes on weekends.

3) Can I use the dining plan?
In 2007, snack credits could be used for food items from the World Showcase kiosks. They could be redeemed for any food item, regardless of cost. If redeeming for beverages, the beverage had to be non-alcoholic.

4) What are the festival events?
The Food and Wine Festival features a series of paid dinners, classes and demonstrations. See the 2008 list at http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/epcot/events/index.htm

5) When should I book festival events?
Booking for the 2009 special events opens on August 25. Call 407-WDW-FEST starting 7 AM. The events are entirely prepaid on booking and nonrefundable. Once booked, they cannot be cancelled (if you have extenuating circumstances, you can call Disney and ask about cancellations, but it is clearly stated that all events are nonrefundable).

6) Is there anything for kids to do?
There are usually “exhibits” for children concerning types of food and how they are grown or produced (peanuts, honey, etc.) Free small samples of the items discussed may or may not be included. Some exhibits feature coloring or small art projects. (The prepaid special meals - Party for the Senses, dinners, luncheons and wine pairings - while not prohibited to underage guests, are generally not suited for young kids. Teens who like different foods or have an interest in culinary arts may be entertained. These meals are usually served with wine, involve a great deal of discussion with the chefs and vintners, and no children's menu or pricing is available. Children will pay the same prices as adults, and will get the same food, but no wine. They may be able to get a nonalcoholic alternative like soda or juice [water is generally always available], but without a reduction in price.)

7) Is it crowded?
It can be crowded at the World Showcase when many people are trying to visit the food kiosks. Friday and Saturday nights are generally the most crowded. Mondays-Thursdays are the best time to visit the kiosks and attend demos.

Thanks for starting this - it's a great idea and I'm sure a lot of people will be checking back for updates. :thumbsup2

BTW ... love your new suitcase signature! I'll never be able to listen to Kansas again without laughing like a hyena. :rotfl2:

Thanks for starting this thread, can't wait to see updates and start planning!!!:woohoo:

It all looks good to me. Can't wait to get that F&W Schedule and start booking those events! I have no patience! ::yes::

Looks like they have really changed around the musical guests. A lot more diverse selection. They kept some of the 60's acts that were the de riguer for prior years, but added groups from other decades. I may have to make several trips this year.

Subscribing, I can't wait to hear about the special food events this year.

I am going to be there when EnVogue performs. I can not wait! Not a huge fan, but I did listen to them back in the day.

HAPPY F&W FESTIVAL PLANNING :)

:thumbsup2 Wahoo bring on the info! Thanks for the thred

Subbing, we'll be there and can't wait to see what events are going to be offered! Have been reading oybolshoi's DELIGHTFUL reviews and feel we should really take more advantage of the festival this year - instead of the 'blind meandering' plan we've followed in past years...;)

Subscribing! This will be our first trip to F&W...can't wait!!! Whoo-Hoo!!!!

Happy Planning!!!

Thank you for starting this thread!

My first F&W experience too! Only get two days of it, but I guess that's better than no F&W at all.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter