Epcot dining - dinner planning help

TexanInBrazilandBackAgain

Earning My Ears
So, forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this. We're newbies (I've been, no one else in the family has been, and I was 13 when I went....am considerably older now ;) ) and trying to maximize our limited time.

We have 3-day single park per day tickets at the moment; thinking of upgrading to park hopper and then rather than skip a park, visit each but park hop to Epcot for dinner each night. We'd plan on Open to 5 pm in Park 1 for the day, pop over to Epcot, and plan our reservation for as late in the evening as possible (staying there until closing).

But....the table service spots are crazy pricey! (Family of 5 -- me, hubby, 3 boys ages 21, 18 & 14). How are they about meal sharing? Could we, for ex, do 2 entrees between the 5 of us? Or do just appetizers & possibly dessert? How are the portion sizes at the various spots?

Are we better off doing counter service instead?

And, is there any place to find the pricing on the various restaurants that seem to offer a fixed price menu per person? The menus online show the food options, but not the price on some of those.....wondering if any are worth it or not? (and assuming in those we definitely could not share, so, would really need to be worth it).

Suggestions/tips for how to do this? Thanks!

Check out allears.net for pricing.
If your paying OOP they shouldn't have any issues with you sharing meals, but there may be an extra charge for it. When are you going? The Flower Festival has food kiosks and theres the Food and Wine festival in Oct-Nov. Plus all the quick serve places in Epcot are great as well.

The WDW site will have the prices listed. Most of the meals I've had at most of the restaurants over the years have been large portions....but 2 entrees for 5 people is a stretch. If Epcot is your place, and you wanna be frugal....most if not all the QS places are pretty good. As far as the TS meals...if you take out the Signature(pricey) places as well as the buffets....youre left with Via Napoli...Nine Dragons...Rose and Crown...that if you pick the right combos....can get 3 entrees and 2 apps for about $100. My advice.....it's been a while for you and never for anyone else......find the $$...splurge....charge if ya have to!:)

I have a DS22, extrapolating from that, I do not think you will be sharing 2 Disney meals with 3 “big boys” and you and DH. Maybe you and hubby might share something depending on his appetite, but boys that age can most probably eat two meals a piece not share 2 meals between them. Maybe do counter service to more budget friendly?

Maybe check out Via Napoli! We do the big pizza there and a couple of appetizers with our 5 kids and it’s lots! And the pizza is amazing!

I would highly recommend considering simply doing QS in EP. There are so many really good QS spots, the portions are fairly large and it's much more affordable than TS. We really like the platters at Tangierine Cafe. Sunshine Seasons in the Land also has good variety and big portions, IMHO. If you just wants apps, Spice Road Table is a good spot for that. For more affordable TS in the EP area, you could head out to the Boardwalk via the IG exit and eat at ESPN or Big River Grille which typically have a lower price point than the park TS. The Fountain at the Dolphin is also a fun TS with a lower price point and can be accessed via boat or walking from the IG exit.

IMO there is no way 5 adults can share 2 entrees. If Budget is that tight I would stick to QS. I also wouldn’t plan to eat in Epcot every night. It sounds like it is too expensive for you.

The WDW site will have the prices listed. Most of the meals I've had at most of the restaurants over the years have been large portions....but 2 entrees for 5 people is a stretch. If Epcot is your place, and you wanna be frugal....most if not all the QS places are pretty good. As far as the TS meals...if you take out the Signature(pricey) places as well as the buffets....youre left with Via Napoli...Nine Dragons...Rose and Crown...that if you pick the right combos....can get 3 entrees and 2 apps for about $100. My advice.....it's been a while for you and never for anyone else......find the $$...splurge....charge if ya have to!:)
I've found all the prices except for those that are apparently a place where you pay a set fee for choices. (a few don't have the price listed next to the entrees and apps, for ex, but do on the drinks...). The Norway place, for ex, does not show prices on the menu, and neither did.....maybe the Moroccan place that's not Spice Table...? One of the other ones for sure, maybe a third also.

We will likely end up splurging on the food, was just wondering if for ex one of the nights we could share. Even if just DH & I share, that would help. Or me & youngest DS, who so far doesn't eat quite like his older brothers....

What I'm thinking is one of the nights we'll do the one most slurgy thing (really debating the castle in Norway, even though it's $$$ and even though it's princesses......), one apps/desserts in one place (probably Spice Table), and one quick service or something. Not too sure. Mostly we want to make the most out of eating our way around the world, via Epcot. We are strategically skipping all things America, Canada, Mexico, and probably China/Japan because we have those easily accessible here at home, which leaves us Morocco, Norway, Italy, and the UK (I think). Oh, and France. Our inclination is hit Morocco, Norway & France....but that was where I was confused because Norway, for ex, the prices aren't on the menu on Disney's website. (What's it called, askerhaus?) Other than "$35-$59, $60+ per adult" which is a big range; $35-$40/ea, okay; $60+....maybe not.

Thanks; so, y'all think mostly that the food at QS is good in Epcot? We were thinking TS since it's our dinner, and likely better experience over all, and we're willing to splurge some just hadn't realized most are $30/plate(-ish) + drinks. If they're worth it.....we're happy to splurge. We want to make the most out of our time in Epcot as far as eating from as many "countries" as possible while there, thus doing Park Hopper so we can do more meals in Epcot. We'll do QS lunches in the other parks to help balance it out (&/or bring in snacks as well).

Sounds like at least youngest & I can probably share a meal, but count on everyone else having their own; that's fine, just needed to know so we *can* budget to splurge :)

So if you were going to splurge on one dinner, which would it be? Or it's too much a bit of personal preference? We're adventurous and like to try new things, will likely skip Italy as DH & I've been (to Italy) and we're planning to take the boys next year so we're fairly certain the food won't compare (ha!), and we're skipping the American, Canadian, Mexican, and Chinese/Japanese restaurants, for sure, as we have easy access to those cuisines close to home anyway.

Would love suggestions of which restaurants are worth the money (even if it means splurging), and which QS are good options as back-ups.

We'll be there in May, but a check today revealed quite a few still available ADRs, so I think we'll be able to get most options.

With gratuity, Akershus is more than $60 for dinner and is only worth it if meeting princesses is high on your list. Biergarten is about $15 less and is a buffet, making it one of the better values among Epcot table service restaurants.

Any of the Morocco restaurants would be good choices. In fact, for your splurge meal, Spice Road Table might hit all of your criteria. Restaurant Marrakesh is also a beautiful restaurant and has more choices than most other Epcot eateries. Don't do the $55 Taste of Morocco; the a la carte offerings are better. This would be a good place to order several apps and entrees and pass them around, as with Spice Road Table.

As mentioned previously, Tangierine Cafe is one of the best values and is certainly one of the best quick service places. The bakery in France, Les Halles, is excellent. Norway's bakery is good for a snack; their sandwiches and salad aren't anything special. The other decent QS places tend to be on your "banned countries" list: Mexico, Japan, and China.

The trouble with Disney TS restaurants being "worth it" or not is that the prevalence of the Dining Plan--as well as all the locals and DVCers getting 20 percent off with Tables in Wonderland--has caused the full prices to be out of line. Exception: The restaurants at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I think all of them, Jiko, Boma, Sanaa, and even the QS (The Mara) are good value/quality propositions. For example, Jiko is quite expensive, but every dinner I've had there was worth it. And the relatively reasonable Sanaa is one of the best in all of WDW.

Honestly, you might be expecting more out of the "Epcot dining experience" than it will actually deliver. It's fun to eat and drink around the world, but most of the food is only average-to-good and is tailored to non-adventurous eaters.

The best WDW restaurants are now in Disney Springs and the resort hotels; especially the non-Disney-owned places such as Jaleo, Morimoto Asia, Raglan Road, and The Boathouse at Disney Springs, as well as numerous restaurants in the Swan/Dolphin, Four Seasons, Hilton Bonnet Creek and Waldorf-Astoria.

Thinking of your family with 3 boys, and with only 3 days to visit the parks, I might suggest not getting park hoppers? And skipping a park? Maybe Epcot? Can use the money you were going to spend towards a table service meal, or two? But sharing might not work with those boys?

Counter service meals are cheaper, and they allow for more flexibility, as you only have 3 days.

If the sole reason to get hoppers is to eat at Epcot nightly, I would skip it and put that expense toward food.

As others have said, you do have plenty of options for QS and some of those meals are enough to share (between 2 people, not 5), or DH and I have even had a kids meal each and been happy with that, and that's the easiest way to save some money.

If you want TS meals, we've never had a problem splitting a meal or just ordering apps/ drinks/ desserts. Two entrees aren't likely to feed 5 people (especially as none of them are small children).

I echo what others are saying. We find that we don't snack as much as we think we might when we're in the parks, so by meal time everyone is pretty hungry. I doubt my own 15 year old could split most TS entrees offered with me and be full unless we also purchased a few extra sides or an appetizer as well, which would negate the point of sharing the entree. :) But again, that's just my DS.

We do love our Hoppers and for the very reason you mentioned..we like ending our days in EPCOT. :) We do find that we like the QS meals in EPCOT quite a lot and the variety of QS food in EPCOT is better than any other park. So we have no qualms about deciding to do almost exclusively QS eating while we are there. My kids' ages are the opposite of yours, though, with my 15 year old being the oldest. So long leisurely TS meals aren't something they tend to appreciate while in the parks. They want to eat and get back to the attractions! :)

Basically I think it comes down to prioritizing whatever is most important for your group. Take a look at the QS menus online, and talk it over. :) Good luck!

I worry about you saying over and over again that you want your splurge meal to be "worth" it.
I totally agree with all that @Pygoplites said. Epcot food is, on the whole, average at best. Not to say that we don't enjoy it, we do. But "worth" is very subjective and I am not sure it is going to meet your objectives.

Everyone make some great points. I would not get a hopper just to be able to eat dinner every night in Epcot. Where are you staying and when are you going? Being the fact that you are planning on being in a different park during the day, you have to factor in travel time to get into Epcot each night. That is going to likely kill between 60-90 minutes just to get to Epcot. Why waste the park time when you are paying good money for it? There isnt anything in the countries at Epcot that is a die hard-must try place in my opinion. There are some good places both QS and TS's in the other parks that might be great options for you. Also, don't rule out the restaurants in the resorts or at DS. I would absolutely save the money from park hoppers, if your main purpose for them is to get into Epcot. Put that towards your dining budget or another experience.

On the other hand:

It's a tough call, but with 4 parks and three days, I still think Parkhopper tickets are not a waste of money. Otherwise, which park would you leave out? MK is the "classic," Epcot has some excellent rides and World Showcase, AK has the most immersive land with one of the best rides in the world (not to mention all the other attractions and shows), and DHS has some good thrill rides that should appeal to OP's sons.

However, instead of using Epcot as your nighttime park, I'd recommend doing DHS on two nights and then any of the 3 for the other night (and probably not Parkhopping on that day).

Here's why:

MK, Epcot and AK are full-day parks. AK wasn't until Pandora opened, but AK might now be the most beautiful park at night. On the other hand, DHS in its current state is a half (or 2/3) day park. And you could split that 1/2 or 2/3 day into two parts (with strategic use of FastPass).

That will certainly change when Galaxy's Edge and the new M&M Runaway Railway are open, but you're going next month (correct?). There will be only a few rides open and most of the other DHS attractions probably don't hold much appeal to boys 14-21. They'll probably want to do Tower of Terrror, Rock n Roller Coaster, Star Tours, and the Toy Story rides. The shows, with the exception of Indiana Jones and possibly Fantasmic, will probably hold little appeal.

Assuming everyone's fine with ropedrop to closing every day, you might want to do your main TS meal at midday rather than dinnertime, which would give you a bit of a "recharging break". Epcot, AK, and MK all have decent places for dinner-size lunch. If you use DHS as your nighttime park for 2 days, you could just do QS there (or head to Disney Springs or Boardwalk area for a late-night small meal after park closing).

If, however, you decide on just doing three parks, DHS is probably the one to skip this time.

For that amount of teen or close to teen boys, I would suggest Biergarten in Germany at EPCOT. It is a buffet and they can all eat to their hearts content. That is the much do restaurant in all of WDW for DH. His first question every trip is "When are we eating at Biergarten?". The atmosphere is good too.

With only 3 days, I would not hop to EPCOT each night. There will be so much in each of the parks you are going to want to do. You only have 3 days and 4 parks. If you currently have single tickets, what park are you planning on skipping? If it were me and if you had the extra day, I would spend my money on another day ticket instead of a hopper so I could spend 1 full day in each park. If I couldn't do that, I would get the hoppers, but focus on using them to hit all 4 parks, not to go to EPCOT for dinner.

I would not go to Akershus in Norway, with you having all teen and older boys. You basically pay an upcharge for the Princesses. The price is for the Princesses, not the quality of food. They call it a "castle" but it really doesn't have much of an atmosphere at all, especially if you get put in the front part of the restaurant. It is loud and the tables are very close together. The food is just okay. Unless someone (even you) really want to see the Princesses, that would not be on my list.

Last edited:
If I were picking three dinners, they wouldn't all be at Epcot, given the prices! In Epcot I'd do Biergarten, then maybe Raglan Road at Disney Springs (possibly our best meal last summer) and maybe Boma or Sanaa at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Biergarten and Boma are buffets, and the food is definitely different from home, and good. You can't share there, but at least you know going in what it's going to cost, and you could use the money you save on park hopping to put towards dinner (as only Biergarten is in one of the theme parks).

Regarding the original post... at regular sit-down restaurants we've never had problems sharing meals (except San Angel Inn), and I don't think there's been an uncharge, either. Of course, you can't share at buffets; everyone pays (even those of us who eat almost nothing... if you are at the table, you pay the price). You certainly can do apps and desserts, if that's what you want, but appetizers aren't cheap and not the biggest portions. I think Disney serves ample portions, but my husband and DD's fiance surely wouldn't be able to share a meal, unless there was an appetizer and dessert to go along with (we don't usually get apps/desserts). Food prices at Disney can be crazy, for sure.

On the other hand:

It's a tough call, but with 4 parks and three days, I still think Parkhopper tickets are not a waste of money. Otherwise, which park would you leave out? MK is the "classic," Epcot has some excellent rides and World Showcase, AK has the most immersive land with one of the best rides in the world (not to mention all the other attractions and shows), and DHS has some good thrill rides that should appeal to OP's sons.

However, instead of using Epcot as your nighttime park, I'd recommend doing DHS on two nights and then any of the 3 for the other night (and probably not Parkhopping on that day).

Here's why:

MK, Epcot and AK are full-day parks. AK wasn't until Pandora opened, but AK might now be the most beautiful park at night. On the other hand, DHS in its current state is a half (or 2/3) day park. And you could split that 1/2 or 2/3 day into two parts (with strategic use of FastPass).

That will certainly change when Galaxy's Edge and the new M&M Runaway Railway are open, but you're going next month (correct?). There will be only a few rides open and most of the other DHS attractions probably don't hold much appeal to boys 14-21. They'll probably want to do Tower of Terrror, Rock n Roller Coaster, Star Tours, and the Toy Story rides. The shows, with the exception of Indiana Jones and possibly Fantasmic, will probably hold little appeal.

Assuming everyone's fine with ropedrop to closing every day, you might want to do your main TS meal at midday rather than dinnertime, which would give you a bit of a "recharging break". Epcot, AK, and MK all have decent places for dinner-size lunch. If you use DHS as your nighttime park for 2 days, you could just do QS there (or head to Disney Springs or Boardwalk area for a late-night small meal after park closing).

If, however, you decide on just doing three parks, DHS is probably the one to skip this time.
This is helpful info, thank you. We were originally thinking skip DHS for the reasons you mentioned. And we thought Park Hopper vs. a 4th day ticket (which we could do) because it's the cheaper of the 2 choices. And I have yet to talk any of them into actually riding the Toy Story rides (sigh) so we really likely won't spend tons of time in DHS at all.

I had not looked into the travel time from one park to the other.....60 to 90 minutes? Really? Wow. So, that changes things. And you make a good point about not wanting to miss the nighttime stuff in some of the parks.....lots to think about. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter