Epass or SunPass is one better

I doubt that. That would mean no families sharing an account and no getting a new car.
It would be very easy to recognize when someone is assigning a sticker to a car, cancelling it one or 2 weeks later, and then requesting another one a few months later.

Adding a 2nd pass to an active account, or deactivating a pass and immediately replacing it are very different situations. But even in those situations, the agency could choose to charge for the 2nd pass.

I believe both are the same, being an FL Resident however, SunPass seems to be more popular but it really doesn't matter.

I believe both are the same
They are interoperable, but are from different entities. E-PASS is from the Central FL Expressways Authority (CFX), SunPass is from the FL Dept of Transportation (FDOT).

being an FL Resident however, SunPass seems to be more popular but it really doesn't matter.
While E-PASS users and SunPass users are charged the same electronic rate on FL toll roads, E-PASS users are also entitled to volume discounts on CFX roadways. So, Central FL residents can possibly save even more money by getting an E-PASS.

e is an Orlando thing ......

SunPass is state wide ....

with regard to 'advertising' ......

I doubt anyone in Miami considers an Orlando e-pass as an option ......

I'd also expect Orlando 'E' to be absorbed by StateWide S before long . . .

I'd also expect Orlando 'E' to be absorbed by StateWide S before long . . .
I disagree. CFX had the opportunity to transfer their electronic toll operations over to SunPass, but wisely decided not to. The only way it would happen now is if the State legislature passes a bill to dissolve CFX, which would end up being challenged in the courts.

E-PASS portable: $9.95 (plus tax)
E-PASS Xtra (E-ZPass compatible): $18.50 (plus tax)
An update regarding the portable transponders from CFX.

CFX is replacing the portable and Xtra transponders with a new portable called Uni which costs $14.95 plus tax. So going forward, the portable transponder option available from CFX will be E-ZPass compatible.

https://www.cfxway.com/uni/

We live in PA but travel to the Orlando area frequently and have a Sunpass (suction cup kind). It is easy on the app to add the rental car and then disable when we are done. Since sometimes we venture to other parts of Florida we went Sunpass as it is more widely accepted.

Since sometimes we venture to other parts of Florida we went Sunpass as it is more widely accepted.
E-PASS is accepted everywhere SunPass is accepted. The State of Florida mandates that all FL based electronic toll system be interoperable.

E-PASS is accepted everywhere SunPass is accepted. The State of Florida mandates that all FL based electronic toll system be interoperable.
And yet FL DOT has so far refused to implement interoperability with E-ZPass, not for technical reasons, but for administrative ones. Seems what's good for the goose is not good enough for the gander.

We are planning on driving down from PA later this summer and already have an EZ-Pass. What FL pass makes sense for us, or is the answer none and just pay by plate?

We are planning on driving down from PA later this summer and already have an EZ-Pass. What FL pass makes sense for us, or is the answer none and just pay by plate?
If you purchase the new Uni transponder from the Central FL Expressway Authority, you could close your E-ZPass account. Uni from CFX works on all toll roads and most toll bridges in FL & GA PLUS everywhere E-ZPass is accepted.

If you are not interested in closing your existing E-ZPass account, I would say just pay cash at any manned or exact coin SunPass toll booths and use Pay-By-Plate if you travel on any toll roads that are all electronic.

E-ZPass is accepted on roadways shown in purple on this map: https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/u...Map-of-CFX-Roads-Accepting-E-ZPassFinal-1.pdf

If you purchase the new Uni transponder from the Central FL Expressway Authority, you could close your E-ZPass account. Uni from CFX works on all toll roads and most toll bridges in FL & GA PLUS everywhere E-ZPass is accepted.

If you are not interested in closing your existing E-ZPass account, I would say just pay cash at any manned or exact coin SunPass toll booths and use Pay-By-Plate if you travel on any toll roads that are all electronic.

E-ZPass is accepted on roadways shown in purple on this map: https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/u...Map-of-CFX-Roads-Accepting-E-ZPassFinal-1.pdf
I just looked at the Uni pass, which seems to be perfect but I don't think it will get here in time. I think we are going to go your second route.

Don't know about PA, but at some places, NY charges less toll to motorists with a local pass than to those with an out-of-state pass.

Since you say you don't have time to order a pass by mail, you can just pay cash. The tolls may be a few dollars more, but at least you won't have to worry about rental car service charges. At toll points in the Orlando area with E-Pass as the primary signage, your E-ZPass will be accepted; it won't be recognized at SunPass toll points.

If you'd rather not stop to pay, I think you can buy a SunPass sticker at the FL Welcome Center for $5 or $10, and activate it immediately on your phone. If you do, be sure to place your E-ZPass in a shielded bag while in FL, to avoid double-charges.

And yet FL DOT has so far refused to implement interoperability with E-ZPass, not for technical reasons, but for administrative ones. Seems what's good for the goose is not good enough for the gander.
So if I am understanding this correctly Sunpass and E-ZPass are supposed to be accepted everywhere in FL. The Reality is that Sunpass is actually accepted everywhere because the Sunpass authority has decided not to accept E-ZPass at all or some locations. Is this correct?

Is this bickering all about who collects the administrative fees for the accounts?

So if I am understanding this correctly Sunpass and E-ZPass are supposed to be accepted everywhere in FL. The Reality is that Sunpass is actually accepted everywhere because the Sunpass authority has decided not to accept E-ZPass at all or some locations. Is this correct?

Is this bickering all about who collects the administrative fees for the accounts?
SunPass and E-PASS (No Z) are accepted everywhere in FL as they are both FL based electronic toll systems. Only the Central FL Expressway Authority (which operates E-PASS) has joined the E-ZPass Group, so E-ZPass is only accepted on FL toll roads operated by the Central FL Expressway Authority (CFX).

FL DOT, which runs Sunpass, said years ago that they were pursuing E-ZPass interoperability. They also said years ago that interoperability was being delayed because they were unable to come to an agreement with the E-ZPass group. I don't recall whether the exact nature of that disagreement was revealed.

Meanwhile, CFX, which runs E-PASS, has been accepting E-ZPass for about a year. Granted, E-PASS transponders are not accepted by E-ZPass unless subscribers upgrade to a new transponder, but that didn't stop CFX from proceeding with interoperability.

And everybody has been ignoring the toothless law passed by Congress requiring all toll systems in the U.S. to be fully interoperable by 4 years ago.

EZ-pass is only good in the greater Orlando area. If you are driving in from farther away you may encounter toll roads that do not accept the EZ-Pass. If you are renting a car from MCO and are staying tin the Orlando area, your EZ-pass should be fine. I am attaching a link to a map showing where EZ-Pass is accepted.

https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/u...Map-of-CFX-Roads-Accepting-E-ZPassFinal-1.pdf
I bought a Sunpass portable transponder a few years back. I bring it with me whenever we travel in Florida. We also used it on our Key West trip a few years ago.

If you do use it in a rental car, be sure to sign on and add the vehicle information to your account. You also need to remove it when your trip is over. Sunpass has an option for adding rental cars to your account. You are able to put a specific date range in for your tie of rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter