Enough connection time at Heathrow

We had a discussion in class about it yesterday, Ryanair vs. traditional carriers. If money is your main criteria, then Ryanair can be a good choice for some. Always have a look at all the hidden costs and then compare to traditional.

And it reminds me of...
(Please be advised, some mild swearing in video below ;-) )

Thank you for all the comments, suggestions and information! I truly appreciate it!

I booked the round trip Boston/Dublin flights through Aer Lingus and the round trip Dublin/Barcelona flights through RyanAir.

I would have booked all through Aer Lingus, but the timing of the flights and our schedule caused us to book RyanAir. We did book the upgraded airfare.

Hopefully everything will be fine with all our flights 🤞

If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Thank you for all the comments, suggestions and information! I truly appreciate it!

I booked the round trip Boston/Dublin flights through Aer Lingus and the round trip Dublin/Barcelona flights through RyanAir.

I would have booked all through Aer Lingus, but the timing of the flights and our schedule caused us to book RyanAir. We did book the upgraded airfare.

Hopefully everything will be fine with all our flights 🤞

If you think of anything else, please let me know.
Irish person here whose home airport is Dublin Airport.

Aer Lingus use Dublin Terminal 2.

You will land from your transatlantic flight, use an airbridge to get from the plane into the terminal and then walk to passport check.

Depending on the % of American V Irish / European passengers there may be a wait at passport check as Irish / EU passengers can use the self scan and Americans have to wait to talk to an agent.

You will then exit passport check and walk to bag reclaim.

After bag reclaim you will walk out the main arrivals door.

To the left of arrivals as you walk out there is a corridor to walk to Terminal 1.

You will need to go to Terminal 1 Departures for Ryanair. The Ryan Air bag drop area is at the far end of Terminal 1 departures.

It will take about 30 minutes to walk from the Terminal 2 Arrivals area to the Ryan Air bag drop area in Terminal 1 departures.

Please make sure you check in online before your Ryanair flight as they do not have check in desks. They only have self service bag drop machines. You will need to download the Ryanair App and have your boarding pass on your phone. You can also use a home print out of the boarding pass. There are Ryanair staff helping passengers at the self service bag drop machines.

Please make sure you are aware of the Ryan Air carry on and checked bag weight allowance. They are very strict. Only those who have paid for Priority Boarding can bring 1 small roller case for the overhead bin and 1 bag which can fit under the seat. If you have not paid for Priority Boarding you can only have 1 carry on bag which must fit under the seat.

After dropping your bags you will then need to walk back to the other end of the departure area for security. You will need to scan your boarding pass to enter the security area on the self scanners.

Terminal 1 is always very busy, so you may wait up to 20 minutes after scanning your boarding pass.

You will not need to remove your shoes, unless they have metal. The agents will tell you if you need to remove shoes.

Also you may not need to remove the 3 11 baggie of liquids if you have it. I just went through Dublin airport last week and I didnt have to remove anything from my bag. The agents will tell you if you need to have the 311 baggie of liquids out.

After security is a large shopping area. You will be going through this area all the way down to Starbucks. Its about a 10 minute walk from the security area to Starbucks. The Ryanair departure gates are actually in a separate building, so you need to take the corridor to the right of Starbucks. Before you go over to the Ryanair Air Gates make sure you have bought anything you want or need in the shopping area, as there is only limited food options once you get to the Ryan Air gate area.

Ryanair do have an inflight service but they have limited items and its expensive. They are also cashless and only accept debit and credit cards. Prices are in Euros. Make sure you buy food or drinks for the flight before leaving the main shopping area.

It takes about 15 minutes to walk from Starbucks to the Ryanair Gate area.

Ryanair boarding has 2 lanes. Priority Boarding and General Boarding. People will start to line up in both before boarding is called. They board fast, as they have a very short turn around time. You will need to show your passport to the gate agent and self scan your boarding pass.

Ryanair flights do not use an airbridge. You will go down stairs and then out to the plane concourse. You will board the plane using removable stairs.

@Bad Pink Tink 2.0

Thank you! This is very helpful.

We paid for priority boarding and have carry on bags only, no checked bags.

We will check in at home and print out boarding passes.

We will be sure to purchase all food and drinks as advised. We enjoy Starbucks, so that’s a plus.

Thank you for all the information!

@Bad Pink Tink 2.0

Thank you! This is very helpful.

We paid for priority boarding and have carry on bags only, no checked bags.

We will check in at home and print out boarding passes.

We will be sure to purchase all food and drinks as advised. We enjoy Starbucks, so that’s a plus.

Thank you for all the information!

You are welcome

Thats good that you paid for priority, it means that during online check in you can choose your seats. Those without priority just get assigned seats.

Ryanair is based on Southwest but its a bit more hustle and bustle than Southwest. The long walk to the Ryanair gate area is notorious. There are two travellators so you dont have to walk all the way but you will see a lot of people running or walking with purpose as they dont leave enough time to get from the food and shopping area to the gate area.

People will start to line up before boarding in the priority queue , to make sure that they can fit their bags in the overhead bins. Ryanair are notorious for not having enough overhead bin space and making people gate check carry on bags.

Please be very careful with the weight and size of your carry on large bag for the over head bin. It must be no heavier than 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. If the bag is too big and you have to gate check it, they will charge you €70. They have a bag size stand, where if they think your bag is too big, you have to put it into the stand to double check. Many online luggage sellers like on Amazon now sell carry on roller bags specifically named as suitable for Ryanair as they are so strict on bag sizes.

As just to warn you, during the flight its very hustle and bustle. The flight crew have a lot of upselling they need to do during the flight.

They first will announce the inflight food and drink service, which is an extra charge.
They they usually sell lottery scratch cards.
They will also announce about car hire and transport options at your destination which you can buy onboard.
There may be another upsell announcement.

Ryanair are very much about on time arrivals and short turn around times. Its one of their promotional points, so when the flight lands early or on time, they make a big deal and play a fanfare and announcement.

There is no inflight entertainment console. The brand colours are yellow and this is the colour scheme inside the plan too, blue seats and yellow seatback trays.

Europeans are used to the Ryanair ways. You get a basic service for a cheap price, you get from A to B, like a bus. Also, you be surprised to learn that even though its an Irish airline, the cabin crew and gate staff are not Irish. They are mainly Eastern European and English is not their first language.

You will really notice the difference in the two airlines, doing a Transatlantic with Aer Lingus and then Ryanair to Barcelona. Aer Lingus is like doing a road trip in America on a tour bus that bands, singers etc hire, Ryanair is like doing the exact same road trip on a Greyhound bus.

The bag I usually put under the seat measures:

15 x 8 x 13”

And my typical overhead bag measures:

21 x 14.5 x 8.5”

Tomorrow we will look in the attic for smaller carry on bags.

Thank you for this information.

We are staying in Dublin for a few nights before flying back to Boston.
Touch wood you should be fine, but just remember because you’re flying EU airline within the EU if they do play any games in Barcelona you’re well looked after in terms of your rights in the event of cancellations etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter