England & France: Cities of Knights & Lights (London & Paris) Meets Thread

PART 2!

Day 3: We were finally adjusting to the new timezone. I had read about long lines at the London Eye so we opted to get there right when it opened around 10am. We had been given our tickets the day before in a welcome letter left in our room. It was a nice 15 min walk across the bridge to the Eye. The line was relatively short and we got right on. We got great views of the city! After, we strolled along the water front towards the London Bridge. We had 1pm entrance reservations for the Sky Garden. The Sky Garden is a rooftop garden and bar with 360 degree views of London. We relaxed and had a drink with wonderful views! There are a few sit down restaurants also. After all the walking, we took the tube back to the hotel for a nap before our welcome dinner. Dinner was at 5:30 served buffet style. It was delicious and great to meet everyone! If anyone is gluten free, we had one member in our group and she was accommodated, but she could not choose her dishes in advance. We went to bed early in anticipation for our early start.

Day 4: With Steven as our Blue Badge Guide on aboard our vintage double decker bus, we toured the city of Westminster with our destination being Westminster Abbey. We took plenty of pictures and took a guided tour of the Abbey. There was a great exhibit for the Queen's birthday with a collection of newspaper clippings and personal photos of her life. This was my first experience with the whisper headset system and it worked well, but I am glad I had my own headphones because my ears did not hold the buds. I have weirdly small ears so this was no surprise. After the tour and some gift shop browsing, we walked to Buckingham Palace for changing of the guards. We took some quick pictures and scoped out a great spot with no obstructions. We then headed to lunch at Simpson's which was delicious! It was served buffet style and the beef must be tried if you are looking for a traditional roast. The room was very elegant and full of history! After lunch, we headed to the river for our speed boat adventure. They give you big coats and life vests to wear so you felt very safe. We had one boat that was deemed the "slower steadier boat" and another boat that was the "faster" boat. Boat ride was awesome! It started out slow and we were able to get great shots along the river, then the boat sped up for the second half. Boat ride even came with James Bond music to add to the atmosphere. After the boat ride, we went back to the hotel and got ready for dinner at the Admirality. Yes this day was full of food but it was fine because it is vacation! After dinner, you could walk back to the hotel if you wanted because it was close but of course my mom and I got a little lost and I was wearing heels. Ugh thank goodness we got a data plan so I could use google maps to get us back.

I was taking a peak on the itinerary on the website, and noticing it is different than the itinerary I just experienced. There is one less day in London compared to Paris. I don't know if or when that itinerary will be used.

We had 1pm entrance reservations for the Sky Garden. The Sky Garden is a rooftop garden and bar with 360 degree views of London. We relaxed and had a drink with wonderful views! There are a few sit down restaurants also. After all the walking, we took the tube back to the hotel for a nap before our welcome dinner.

The Sky Garden sounds wonderful! Did you make reservations online before your trip? Or after you arrived?

Dinner was at 5:30 served buffet style. It was delicious and great to meet everyone!

How many were in your group?

After lunch, we headed to the river for our speed boat adventure. They give you big coats and life vests to wear so you felt very safe. We had one boat that was deemed the "slower steadier boat" and another boat that was the "faster" boat. Boat ride was awesome! It started out slow and we were able to get great shots along the river, then the boat sped up for the second half. Boat ride even came with James Bond music to add to the atmosphere.

Were you in the slower boat or the faster one?

I made reservations online about 2 weeks before the trip. It's free! I just searched sky garden London on google and found the website to make a reservation.
We had 16 adults in our group
I was in the fast boat. The boats only hold about 12 people so it will depend on how many in your group how many boats there are.

Looking for information regarding hotel room arrangements for family of three. My son will be 13 when we are looking to travel on ABD Cities of Knights and Lights tour. I am worried the roll away bed offered will be too small and too thin. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Day 5: This was our Windsor day and we got our first taste of British weather. We headed to Windsor with umbrellas and jackets in tow. It was a lovely drive and Steven did a great job of pointing things out. When we got to Windsor, we had to got through what I think was the most strict security. Since my mother and I had metal on our shoes, we even had to take those off besides the usual bags and jackets. The tour of the castle was mostly self guided and we were given some time in the afternoon for lunch and shopping. We found that you really had to balance your time between seeing the castle, eating, and shopping. We chose to skip a meal and have more time to shop. We met up at for our afternoon scone lesson, which I thought was a wonderful touch! While our scones were baking we were given a cream tasting, which helped with my growing hunger. We then enjoyed our scones with a pot of tea. After, we were whisked away to a nearby country club for a lesson in Archery. Who knew it could be so enjoyable? Once we fired all our arrows, we boarded a bus to the hotel. Dinner that night was at the hotel but you could go whenever you wanted. Guides made the reservations. The lamb was wonderful!. We got back to the hotel around 5 and we had dinner around 7. It worked out well.

Day 6: This was our last day in London and we were a little sad. We were having such a wonderful time. We took the bus to St Paul's Cathedral for exterior shots only. We then were taken to the Tower of London. Steven did a wonderful job of providing the back story for this place. The tour was self guided and we were given a time to meet back an then head to lunch. Warning, there are a lot of steps at this site. The white tower has 200+ steps to see the entire thing. After all of the stairs, we were ready to eat. Lunch was at a great pub almost inside of the Tower bridge. The creme brulee was excellent! After lunch, we were given the afternoon and night free. My mother and I chose to go to Harrods and the Victoria and Alberts Museum. We took the underground to use up what was left on our Oyster Cards. We picked up some gifts and wandered in the museum. We loved the museum and felt it cannot be missed. We had dinner at a pub we found in Covent Garden. The only thing I remember is a delicious veal cutlet. We returned to the hotel to pack. Our luggage had to be ready for pick up at 7am. We left it right inside the door; not in the hallway. It was a great last night in London!

Isn't Steven just magnificent? *Loved* him. I'm glad they include Windsor Castle now!

Sayhello

Isn't Steven just magnificent? *Loved* him. I'm glad they include Windsor Castle now!

Sayhello
He really is a wonderful guide. I think we were a little spoiled by his wonderful stories. Windsor was wonderful and the people of the town really had a lot of insight to the Queen. The bakery that gave us a scone lesson told us about a story when President Obama visited. Prince George was confused why Uncle Harry wasn't playing with him while the President was there. Harry had trouble explaining to him that he needed to be on his best behavior. I thought this was adorable.

I'm so sad! My favorite day was the Windsor day and I can't for the life of me find the scone recipe! Anyone willing to share?

seashell7290- Where was the tea/scone making at? The itinerary says Guildhall in London. But your report makes it sound like it was in Windsor? Can you clarify?

I'm so sad! My favorite day was the Windsor day and I can't for the life of me find the scone recipe! Anyone willing to share?

We just returned from our trip so I have mine handy:

Perfect English Scones (Makes 10)

Ingredients:
450g plain flour
4tsp baking powder
110g butter
60g caster sugar
200mL milk
30g raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Put flour, baking powder, and sugar into mixing bowl and mix together. Add the butter and rub together until you have a breadcrumb like consistency. Add raising if required. Once thoroughly mixed make a well in the center of the mixture and our the milk into the well. Bring the mixture together into a ball. Don't over mix. Press dough out with palm of your hand so it is 2cm thick. Use a round cutter to cut scones out. Bake in oven for 15 mins or until lightly browned.

seashell7290- Where was the tea/scone making at? The itinerary says Guildhall in London. But your report makes it sound like it was in Windsor? Can you clarify?

The Guildhall is in Windsor, steps from Windsor Castle

I just booked London/Paris for July 21, 2017. It will just be me and my 11 year old son. Is there a thread for this trip? I'd LOVE to start chatting with some other folks going on this adventure

We just made our final payment on the London/Paris trip leaving on July 24, 2017. This is our first ABD trip!

We are going on the adult trip in Sept. We have 1 pre-day and 2 post days. We haven't decided what to do with the post-days, but we will probably see some Chateaux in the Loire Valley.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter