End of the Disneyland Show??

I think P Dub realizes that if he's giving up the DL Show, others will pick it up...even if it is the competition. I'll search, find and watch what ever is relevant.

While i liked the new format, it was more so because I could watch Ryan and Craig discuss their thoughts on chocolate and I'd prolly watch.

The new show suffered mostly because it's hard to do a show with people over skype/facetime like this.
I know this was essentially what the old DL podcast was (audio only, but still skyping eachother), but it played off worse in this format.

It's too bad Tyler+Katrina were let go/quit, because they could have potentially put together a more structured west-coast version.

I know they tried in his (apartment?), but it visually looked awkward with everyone scrunched together on one sofa.

If you like Tyler and Katrina, they are now regular contributors on The Kingdom Report podcast. I hope I don’t get in trouble for saying that, but the audience for it right now is so small that they are hardly a threat. They cover both Disneyland and WDW, but since they and the host live in CA, the focus is more on Disneyland. The show is definitely not as fun or enjoyable as the DIS Unplugged podcasts, but I listen to them once I’ve finished everything the DIS puts out each week.

I’m really going to miss the Disneyland show with Craig, Ryno, Tom and Morgan. I live in CA and I’ve been a listener ever since it got rebooted, and it is the show that got me into the DIS in the first place. From there I started listening to the main Tuesday show and all the other shows. I’m now a Patreon supporter and have used Dreams Unlimited Travel twice to plan trips to WDW. I love and respect Pete and the team so much, but I feel like this is a short-sighted decision. I never would have become a supporter of the DIS without the Disneyland show.

If it had not been for the Disneyland show, in its original format, I would not have decided to go to Disneyland back in 2017 for their Southwest DIS meet. As such a few things would not have happened. First, I would not have met a more wonderful group of people that I now call good friends. Secondly, related to that, I now have some really close friends that I actually go on trips with. Third, I would not have done the DIS exclusive Backstage Magic ABD trip in December 2018 or probably any of the other WDW DIS/Dreams events. Thank you to Tom, Mary Jo, Nancy, Michael and Tony! The group of you made my Sunday evenings more enjoyable (and really late - darn blue hour).

I agree with the earlier post it was probably poor ROI and they just didn’t see enough of an uptick in clients booking DL. And here is your frustrating flaws, in how they tried to sell it. Listen to Ryno or Craig talk about DL and it’s interesting, but you won’t “fall in love” with DL. Listen to Mary Jo or Micheal and it kinda stirs your soul.

I also don't think they ever provided a compelling reason to book through Dreams. What did they bring to the table? I personally never became clear on that. I know at one point, one of the Dreams/DL ads on this site had been expired for months and I finally pointed it out. Some hotel partnerships could have been really compelling to garner more bookings.

Finally, the mindset it had to be all audio or all video, a combination where the OG took care of the news, daily happenings on a shortened audio and the Orlando team created great vlogs, taped series of DL specials in studio, hotel reviews, etc. It could have reached an overall wider audience. Micheal taped a segment from his home for one episode, and I actually thought that worked very well and avoided the time zone/work conflicts. More of that could have been done from the beginning.

What fascinated me about the OG DL crew was how much detail they seemed to know off the top of their head. Much easier, of course, when you're dealing with two parks and three hotels, as opposed to four parks and 1,764 hotels, but Mary Jo would say something like "It's over by that one tree in New Orleans Square" and Tom would be like "Oh, you mean the tree with the one branch that dips down over the railing?" and Nancy would be like "YES! That's the one!" and Michael would be like "Walt actually snapped a branch off that tree once in 1963 and smacked Marty Sklar across the back with it" and Tony would be like "WHAT'S A GOOD PLACE TO EAT IN BISMARCK I'M AT THE RED ROOF INN".
1,765. You forgot Riviera.

If you like Tyler and Katrina, they are now regular contributors on The Kingdom Report podcast. I hope I don’t get in trouble for saying that, but the audience for it right now is so small that they are hardly a threat.

Pretty sure it's fine to say where they are now, as they never acknowledged they left the show to begin with.

I am really disappointed Pete has been so silent. I don’t understand why he didn’t think it deserved some kind of acknowledgment. It was 792 episodes and even if he had been sick, I would have thought he would have by now. Turn the camera on, film a little tribute, post an article, tweet something, add some kind of reminder in the studio, whatever.

I may be projecting, we have all had bosses who don't acknowledge our hard work, but I am really disappointed Pete didn't think it deserved something on his part. This group was especially classy and deserved better.

Last edited:
I guess P Dub has his reasons...they're "too overloaded" was the strange reason they gave. Relevancy is key. Placing shows on a weekly schedule seems a little old school in today's world. I don't see why shows seem to be every week. The content begins to get a little yawnish. Keeping the DVC Show weekly seems to pander to one of their largest advertisers but really what more can be said about owning a timeshare that hasn't already been said?

In the world of podcasts, consistency is key. If they released an episode and then three weeks they released another they would lose listeners/viewers. People move on so quickly that they would be lost in the shuffle.

It's not my position to comment on any business decision that is made, but I respect the decisions. There are many factors that go into these decisions and some of them have been touched on in this thread and others haven't. The changes we made to the show doubled our audio audience from what it was before and performed solidly on YouTube, but if we are going to invest time, money and energy into something we cover then it has to be justified. Remember, DIS Unplugged is just one small facet of The DIS and Dreams Unlimited Travel and even though it's easy to make up storylines based on being able to see a visual number, you're only looking at the tip of the iceberg.

I finally looked up the podcast rankings and I totally get it the WDW version was still way up there but the DLR version was floundering. I get that there are just a lot more people planning trips to WDW and there is a lot more that goes into planning trips to WDW and the powers that be have to look at ROI and all that, but perhaps the Disneyland edition could resurface as a one or two person ten or fifteen minute weekly DLR news only show? DIS just does news way better than the rest and that would be a lot cheaper to produce

I was just considering also maybe the lack of the group not having kids or not having young kids doesn't help either. For either podcast. I think it will add a different perspective/angle to things, being that it is disneyworld and disneyland ("had") to make sure someone on the panel has the parent/family perspective. Many people book trips because it is a family vacation, one with young kids or teens and listening to a podcast with at least one perspective helps to solidify your next trip. Some of the panelists on the podcast have children but their stories of them going to disneyworld/land were years ago and may not apply to today's experiences. So if you're trying to grab the east coast families to join on a disneyland west coast trip it may have helped to hear that perspective sometimes of what it's like to go there with kids/families. I think they do have it with age groups, all different generations on board, just not as much from this perspective.

I was just considering also maybe the lack of the group not having kids or not having young kids doesn't help either. For either podcast. I think it will add a different perspective/angle to things, being that it is disneyworld and disneyland ("had") to make sure someone on the panel has the parent/family perspective. Many people book trips because it is a family vacation, one with young kids or teens and listening to a podcast with at least one perspective helps to solidify your next trip. Some of the panelists on the podcast have children but their stories of them going to disneyworld/land were years ago and may not apply to today's experiences. So if you're trying to grab the east coast families to join on a disneyland west coast trip it may have helped to hear that perspective sometimes of what it's like to go there with kids/families. I think they do have it with age groups, all different generations on board, just not as much from this perspective.
With the original audio only format of the Disneyland show, Nancy (at that time) had two pre teenage years. Tom's son was also pre-teen for a good portion. Then you had Louella who joined periodically and has three boys, including one that is on the autism spectrum (not quite sure of the correct language here). When they finally switched to video a year ago, we lost most of the interaction with Nancy and Louella's perspective with their kids. If the show had continued on with audio only, then the parent's perspective would have continued. I almost forgot that Michael has a grand daughter that he sometimes takes to Disneyland. Given that both Louella and Nancy work outside of the DIS, trying to get them scheduled on a recorded show was more challenging. As such we lost a lof of their perspective as being parents and taking their kids to the parks.

In the old format, the second show would sometimes feature more items that were specifically focused on kids/family or even Day 6 type of items. The main show was very much news and rapid fire. While those topics sometimes would be kid/family focused, it wouldn't be a lot of discussion unless there was just a lack of news to cover.

I am so sad. I visit Disneyland once or twice a year and I really enjoyed the Disneyland show. I weekly watch the DL and DVC show (being a member, it has some value to me to watch). The WDW does almost nothing for me since I haven't been to WDW in ten years. The first third of the WDW show is Magic Candle and Dreams Unlimited info. The WDW show seems less about the parks than the DL show. Tom is amazing and maybe he can host his own show somewhere. Rhino should have been the host, he seems like he really likes Disneyland. Pete and Craig came across as "I'm just here so I don't get fined".

So very sad to hear this, I missed the announcement. I am not surprised. The new show was not great and then when Tom became a regular on it, it became a bit better.

I greatly miss the old format and team. I know it will never come back, but I will continue to dream. It was so fun! And they always managed to do two amazing shows each night.

Last edited:
While I'm sad for the people involved it never really clicked with me. To be fair I've gotten a bit bored with the panel discussion shows. I'm more interested when the team is out and about in the parks, Disney springs etc.

Isn’t DL more of a local/regional park now? While WDW is a destination resort for people traveling from near and far? If so, then DL is not a big revenue source for a travel agency. Focusing on WDW may make more business sense for them.

I'm sad that the show is gone and it doesn't look like The Dis will be continuing with Disneyland coverage. Does anyone know of any shows that would be a good replacement? I'm looking for something that gives updates in the parks and their opinions about the changes.

I'm sad that the show is gone and it doesn't look like The Dis will be continuing with Disneyland coverage. Does anyone know of any shows that would be a good replacement? I'm looking for something that gives updates in the parks and their opinions about the changes.

I've been looking, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter